Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1665 posts
364 upvotes
Calgary
Figman2 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 5:09 am
How long does a softener usually last?
Mine is about 15 years now but I don't if it is still working good or not.

Lately I find the water pressure is low but not sure if the softener is causing this. Right after a toilet flush, the faucet has very low pressure until the toilet tank is filled.
You can buy test strips to check if the water is softened or not. I use them to adjust as well.

If you have a bypass valve then use that to see if it improves your pressure.
Jan 18, 2005
221 posts
30 upvotes
Waterloo
Don't forget to buy the three bottles of cleaner each year and upload your receipts to extend your warranty to five years. Hopefully I don't need to find out how good their warranty service is but five years is better than one.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14039 posts
3427 upvotes
London
Figman2 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 5:09 am
How long does a softener usually last?
Mine is about 15 years now but I don't if it is still working good or not.

Lately I find the water pressure is low but not sure if the softener is causing this. Right after a toilet flush, the faucet has very low pressure until the toilet tank is filled.
Deemo wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 7:17 am
You can buy test strips to check if the water is softened or not. I use them to adjust as well.

If you have a bypass valve then use that to see if it improves your pressure.
Bypass valve may look like this

Pull out / press in the knob on the left side slides a little piston (left/right) that bypasses water around the softener

The test kit I see mentioned is Hach 5B which is under $50

https://www.amazon.ca/Hach-145300-Total ... =8-1-fkmr0

There are cheaper test strip kits, but the reviews seem hit/miss
Last edited by l69norm on Jul 24th, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 4, 2014
39 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
As mentioned in other's post, now Red Deer, AB is the only location that could still get this deal. But I will still prefer someone move this to expired deal please. Because there is always ppl giving down vote when they come late to the party and/or without reading the replies
Sep 7, 2014
362 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
I bought this. But contemplating to keep or return. For people who bought ... I am reading NOT to buy from retailers as lowes, rona etc....all units die after one or two years! Ppl rather go more expensive with more professional suppliers.

If any one interested in buying PM me.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5355 posts
939 upvotes
aljudeh wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 1:20 am
I bought this. But contemplating to keep or return. For people who bought ... I am reading NOT to buy from retailers as lowes, rona etc....all units die after one or two years! Ppl rather go more expensive with more professional suppliers.

Obvious shill from a competitor. The unit comes with a 1-year warranty and can be extended up to 5 years by buying and using the cleaner, which people should be doing anyways. So, to have all units die after one or 2 years is complete garbage FUD.

My unit is 3 years old and going strong, but time will tell how long it'll last.
No external links in signatures - Mods
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
3221 posts
2401 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rf134a wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 12:28 pm
Obvious shill from a competitor. The unit comes with a 1-year warranty and can be extended up to 5 years by buying and using the cleaner, which people should be doing anyways. So, to have all units die after one or 2 years is complete garbage FUD.

My unit is 3 years old and going strong, but time will tell how long it'll last.
It's a bit much to jump right to shill accusations, especially when he allegedly has one for sale.
[OP]
Dec 4, 2014
39 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You guys can keep discussing but just not sure why this post still in hot deal and not moved. And I only want to remind anyone just getting here that this deal has already ended
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
6567 posts
3392 upvotes
Canada
turndd wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 1:30 pm
You guys can keep discussing but just not sure why this post still in hot deal and not moved. And I only want to remind anyone just getting here that this deal has already ended
Since you are the op,
You have to mark the deal expired and it will move to expired section immediately
Public Mobile, Koodo and Freedom Mobile customer
[OP]
Dec 4, 2014
39 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 1:45 pm
Since you are the op,
You have to mark the deal expired and it will move to expired section immediately
TBH, I will never post any deals any more. I did put expire dates to the deal. if the system or the admin never look at that, I don't really understand why asking for expire date.
And throughout the post, I almost have to govern the whole deal all the time to satisfy all those hunters. This sounds too much for someone willing to share a deal. I think ppl on this forum should appreciate more rather than making ppl who willing to share to do all the heavy lifting stuff..
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14039 posts
3427 upvotes
London
turndd wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 9:59 pm
TBH, I will never post any deals any more. I did put expire dates to the deal. if the system or the admin never look at that, I don't really understand why asking for expire date.
And throughout the post, I almost have to govern the whole deal all the time to satisfy all those hunters. This sounds too much for someone willing to share a deal. I think ppl on this forum should appreciate more rather than making ppl who willing to share to do all the heavy lifting stuff..
Go to the very first post and click on " ! Report". Give the reason as "expired"
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14039 posts
3427 upvotes
London
aljudeh wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 1:20 am

These big box store units are really easy to install but they do use plastic parts in the main control valve

There's a plastic disk the size of your palm that spins inside the main control valve. The plastic disk has little channels in it which controls how the water flows. There a wiper like seal that runs across the disk .

As the unit regenerates every week, eventually the plastic disk and wiper seal wears and no longer seals properly. The unit starts doing odd things then because water flow is leaking past the wiper seals

The better control valve units like fleck use a piston with a seal that moves back and forth to control water flow. It's much more wear resistant and less prone to leaks
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
3221 posts
2401 upvotes
Richmond Hill
l69norm wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 10:44 pm
Go to the very first post and click on " ! Report". Give the reason as "expired"
No, there's an actual "Expire" button now. No need to use the report function.