6.5% back from greatcanadianrebates.ca
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7073 posts
3215 upvotes
ON
Gutty96 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 4:43 pm
If you are camping, what is the generator for?
Fancy city folk can't be camping like peasants using a fire to warm up and cook and have no hot water for showers or the bidet...ya know the basic stuff you need in the wild at the end of the RV parking lot.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2256 posts
804 upvotes
Burnaby
67 db is miles from 50. 67 is like a leaf blower or crappy gas lawn .

An inverter generator is quiet enough to hold a conversation next to.

Everything has a use and inverters are 2x the price, but please don't take this camping. People will murder you.

Save it for a construction site.

Buy the inverter instead and alternate which appliance you need running. Eg: cool the fridge/freezer then use the sump/whatever. And you neighbors wont hate you

$300 is about as low as you get for a 3000w standard gas generator. I have searched for a long time.
Last edited by Psykopathik on Apr 11th, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3701 posts
1241 upvotes
Montreal
TomLafinsky wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 5:18 pm
Thanks. 6.5 X 120 = 780 watts. 780 X3 = 2340. So a Champion 2000W inverter would be able to start/run your fridge. Let's say your sump pump is 1000 watts, so your gen would need to be able to provide a good max of 3,000 Watts.

In that case your best bet would be a Champion inverter like this one. The advantages of an inverter over a traditional gen is that a) it provides clean power b) it will save you a bundle on gasoline and c) it is QUIET!!! I have this exact model and bought it when Costco had reduced the price in the Fall to the $600.

The gen mentioned in OP's post is cheap because it drinks gas like a drunken sailor, it is F... noisy and it produces electricity that is very dirty. If you can live with that buy the gen mentioned in this thread. Otherwise if you want a very nice gen capable of powering both the fridge and sump pump at the same time then get the Champion.

Keep in mind you will need to store many gallons of gasoline with Stabil Marine (the blue one) all year long. So the more the gen drinks gas, the more you need to store a larger quantity of gasoline.
You don't need to store gas with fuel stabilizer ... it's for the fuel that sits in the fuel reservoir of the generator that is the concern. If you're worried the fuel will go stale, just dump older fuel into your car every few months and refill storage tanks with new gas.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3701 posts
1241 upvotes
Montreal
TomLafinsky wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 6:09 pm
When using a gen for emergency only, it is best to do maintenance for long term storage. IOW, drain the gas tank, drain the carb (empty the float!), add oil to cylinder and store at normal temp and humidity.

I do dump the old fuel (with Stabil) in my car once a year. I have no interest to repeat this exercise every few months. Not with 5 X 4 gallons.
Wrong ... best practice for an emergency generator is to run it at least once per month.
Banned
Jan 13, 2019
31 posts
20 upvotes
GT!! wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 6:14 pm
Wrong ... best practice for an emergency generator is to run it at least once per month.
I can only speak from personal experience... I've had a Coleman 5000 W generator since 1990 and I start it once a year and run it for 5-10 minutes, and then I let it run until carb is MT. If it hesitates to start, I squirt some ether ("starting fluid") into the air filter before starting.

Served me fine in 1998 during 27 days of the ice storm. And still starts fine every summer. Just saying...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5410 posts
1156 upvotes
Calgary
dilligafeh wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 5:28 pm
Fancy city folk can't be camping like peasants using a fire to warm up and cook and have no hot water for showers or the bidet...ya know the basic stuff you need in the wild at the end of the RV parking lot.
except anybody who camps as you're suggesting has full hookups, therefore, no need for a gen.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6690 posts
1433 upvotes
When I was a lad, camping was hiking, biking, canoeing, etc into an area with just what you can carry, pitching a tent and staying the night ( or more).

Is it something different now?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5410 posts
1156 upvotes
Calgary
Gutty96 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 8:25 pm
When I was a lad, camping was hiking, biking, canoeing, etc into an area with just what you can carry, pitching a tent and staying the night ( or more).

Is it something different now?
back in my day we didn't judge people for what they did for enjoyment/family time, that certainly has changed.
Jul 15, 2009
234 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
If you're jumping on this, remember it's a good idea to take the time to properly break-in the generator.

When I grabbed mine last year, I used a 1875W hair dryer (30 min hi, 10 min low, 10 min off, repeat for 5hr and then change oil).
Banned
Jan 13, 2019
31 posts
20 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 6:52 pm
I have worked with more than a dozen gens over 2 decades. It is totally unnecessary to start the gen every month/year when proper long term storage has been done and preferably it is stored at room temp with normal humidity. I had, among other things, professional training with commercial gens. So residential gens are a piece of cake.

I'm glad if it's working for you and you are happy with your procedure.
I agree that starting it once a year is unneccesary. I do it just for piece of mind.

And you are of course correct in stating that ideally one should empty the float bowl and the gas tank, as well as put a small amount of oil in the cylinder. That is the best advice for long term storage.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6690 posts
1433 upvotes
T3rry wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 8:31 pm
back in my day we didn't judge people for what they did for enjoyment/family time, that certainly has changed.
Well, maybe don't jump to conclusions and assume that I am judging what people are doing.

At my age now, and I am not THAT old... I have zero interest in spending a weekend in a tent with no amenities.

However, I love a cottage weekend, trailer/RV weekend, etc. I just can't call it camping by definition. I was only questioning the terminology, of what we should be calling those activitie.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3144 posts
2648 upvotes
lazybummer wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 10:20 am
But then again I am not sure how well modern electronics and new furnaces would work with this type of generator.
Perfectly fine.

I'm not sure where this FUD comes from. There's so much anecdotal inaccurate information out there about stuff like this.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3144 posts
2648 upvotes
T3rry wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 8:31 pm
Yup, absolutely, 100% agree, everybody feels it's their right to get into everyone else's business, it's sickening.

As long as you aren't hurting someone: do what you want.