• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2019 6:25 am
Oct 15, 2012
172 posts
49 upvotes
Sudbury
ratatapa wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 3:43 pm
Why do you wanna know the amp if the fridge works with W and the generator also calculates in W?
P(watts)= E (voltage) X I (amps-current)/ P=E X I --- using this equation, you can determine the P (watts), E or V ((voltage-- typically 120V (or 240V) for household consideration)), and I (current in amps). P=E X I so I=P/E (amps) so for example, if your fridge consumed 1200W, we can determine amperage draw by; I=1200W/120V equals 10A (amps) :)
Sep 22, 2014
314 posts
108 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
The 3000w firman inverter generator that is currently on sale at Costco until the 14th is a better buy. These open frames are loud and will annoy your neighbors unless you live on an acreage.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5409 posts
1155 upvotes
Calgary
Gutty96 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 6:14 am
Well, maybe don't jump to conclusions and assume that I am judging what people are doing.

At my age now, and I am not THAT old... I have zero interest in spending a weekend in a tent with no amenities.

However, I love a cottage weekend, trailer/RV weekend, etc. I just can't call it camping by definition. I was only questioning the terminology, of what we should be calling those activitie.
who is telling you what you can and cant call it... and moreso, who cares what you call it? live your life, do what you want.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6690 posts
1431 upvotes
T3rry wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 1:34 pm
who is telling you what you can and cant call it... and moreso, who cares what you call it? live your life, do what you want.
*sigh*

I guess the days of public forums and personal opinions are over.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2256 posts
803 upvotes
Burnaby
Gutty96 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 6:14 am
Well, maybe don't jump to conclusions and assume that I am judging what people are doing.

At my age now, and I am not THAT old... I have zero interest in spending a weekend in a tent with no amenities.

However, I love a cottage weekend, trailer/RV weekend, etc. I just can't call it camping by definition. I was only questioning the terminology, of what we should be calling those activitie.
Same. Glamping is for me. Motorhome, power, tv, hot water and a bed. Cant hack sleeping on the ground. Also nice to stop anywhere and just sleep. No fussing with tents etc. The 3000w inverter is about the same size and weight as traditional generator. Buy it if you can afford it.

The reduction in noise alone is worth it. Even on a job site.
Banned
Jan 13, 2019
31 posts
20 upvotes
I realize this is off topic... I've had a camper van since 1992 and I can say one thing about generators used by people having motor homes: they are extremely annoying (both the generator and the owner). Makes you want to get up and go! There are always ways you can do what you need to do without using a generator if you're clever enough, or you can time your generator usage in such a way that it doesn't annoy anyone close by.
Nov 20, 2009
823 posts
404 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
The lot of noise from generator motors comes from motor crankcase itself, not the exhaust. People have put large mufflers on them but the thin crankcase walls transmit a lot of noise. Honda motors are much quieter.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3609 posts
89 upvotes
There's really no such thing as a quiet generator while camping. That's why we have propane and naphtha appliances. For emergency use at home, it likely wouldn't be running for long anyways. (Only a few hours in the ten years I've had it)

As far as maintenance, I recommend to stay away from ethanol gasoline and you'll be fine. Stored in a plastic jug it starts to degrade in a week, left in a small engine carb it will do a real number on it.

StaBil, starting it in intervals etc, get premium from shell or the TruFuel synthetic gas for the gennie. I have 17 small engines and no bloody way am I going to run each one or them dry. Instead I do as I say here. Do it or not, argue or not how correct/incorrect I am, my oldest machine is a JD self propelled mower purchased in 1990, and it and all of my other mowers, string trimmers, saws, blowers etc has never been run dry and I have yet to touch a carb. I only use TruFuel or Shell premium. I know there are others who don't use ethanol in premium, this is local to me.

I have a Honda clone inverter model and while it's quiet I would never use it in a campground. Besides, cooking over fire, with a percolator coffee maker tastes so much better.

I've used it at home to keep my Internet up for temporary blackouts, fridge and freezer contents will last a few days if kept closed. Do just the important things get power. 8-)
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?