Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] First Alert Plug-in Electrochemical Carbon Monoxide Alarm for $14.79 starting on Jan 10

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 7:25 am
Dec 25, 2012
622 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
trilobites wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 7:51 pm
Should I use one these even if we only have electric stove, heaters at home? The only exception is the car which still runs on gasoline.
... is $15 not worth investing for the chance this could save a life? Sometimes I wonder
JS
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15879 posts
5144 upvotes
Egads.
I was going to say there is a slight possibility of smoldering leading to CO or a car left running in a garage or things like that so its worth having anyways but these are crazy
All spirits are enslaved that serve things evil
Nov 17, 2013
750 posts
128 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Is it better to have a standalone carbon monoxide detector or one incorporated into the fire alarm in multiple locations? Are they better located close to the floor?
Oct 30, 2006
138 posts
44 upvotes
There are guides about where to install online, including from the Ontario Fire Marshall.

Since CO is lighter than normal air, higher may be better depending on layout of your home and plug availability. Always next to attach garage and with 10 ft of doorways to sleeping areas etc...

Getting a couple to put in a basement bedroom and next to garage and gas fireplace in living room.

Note that there are reports of old stock for these, older models use 9V instead of 2AA for battery backup. Watch for mfg/replacement dates, these can be like Lithium batteries where they decay even if not used. So if it mfg date is 2-3 years ago and it has a 7 year usable life you may be losing 30+% of the utility of the devices which is good to keep in mind when considering pricing, esp in safety equipment.

Stay safe,

Peter
Aug 31, 2014
378 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vrredflag wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:44 pm
Is it better to have a standalone carbon monoxide detector or one incorporated into the fire alarm in multiple locations? Are they better located close to the floor?
I like to have the two devices separate as smoke detectors are best near the ceiling and CO detectors are usually best installed around furnaces or at the height you sleep at.
Dec 13, 2012
707 posts
284 upvotes
TORONTO
If you're planning on buying a few of these (plus fillers), Lowe's has $25 promo code offer when you spend $50:
Receive a $25 promo code when you spend $50 or more. Exclusions apply. Offer valid through Jan. 16, 2019.
Oct 30, 2006
138 posts
44 upvotes
Update: I bought them, site shows picture of 2AA model but Lowe's only had old stock with junk ("Super Heavy Duty"/non-Alkaline 9V battery). Expect to need to replace it if you experience any significant length of power outages.

Packaging states 84 month (7 year) lifespan from install. No mfg date visible from outside packaging.

Will open it later.

Peter
Apr 22, 2010
140 posts
74 upvotes
pjpeter wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:17 am
There are guides about where to install online, including from the Ontario Fire Marshall.

Since CO is lighter than normal air, higher may be better depending on layout of your home and plug availability. Always next to attach garage and with 10 ft of doorways to sleeping areas etc...

Getting a couple to put in a basement bedroom and next to garage and gas fireplace in living room.

Note that there are reports of old stock for these, older models use 9V instead of 2AA for battery backup. Watch for mfg/replacement dates, these can be like Lithium batteries where they decay even if not used. So if it mfg date is 2-3 years ago and it has a 7 year usable life you may be losing 30+% of the utility of the devices which is good to keep in mind when considering pricing, esp in safety equipment.

Stay safe,

Peter
The whole placement thing for CO was a myth. A really really persistent myth. CO diffuses evenly. Studies showed placement doesn't matter as long as you're avoiding air pockets and drafts.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21536403

https://nest.com/ca/support/article/Sho ... -the-floor
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
2877 posts
28 upvotes
Waterloo
pjpeter wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:37 am
Update: I bought them, site shows picture of 2AA model but Lowe's only had old stock with junk ("Super Heavy Duty"/non-Alkaline 9V battery). Expect to need to replace it if you experience any significant length of power outages.

Packaging states 84 month (7 year) lifespan from install. No mfg date visible from outside packaging.

Will open it later.

Peter
This is the info I was looking for. The lifespan of 7 years starts AFTER installation, not when it's manufactured. Will purchase 1.

Thanks.
:arrow: :arrowl:
Dec 1, 2006
104 posts
12 upvotes
Thanks OP.... everyone definitely should have at least one- especially at these prices
Sep 10, 2008
573 posts
130 upvotes
Vancouver
Ok, thanks guys for the advise. The water heater is also electric btw. I'm still getting one one now and will decide.
Sep 10, 2008
573 posts
130 upvotes
Vancouver
pjpeter wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:37 am

Will open it later.

Peter
Ahh ok, do let us know.
Jul 23, 2010
98 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
lbmeyer wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:26 am
If you're planning on buying a few of these (plus fillers), Lowe's has $25 promo code offer when you spend $50:
Was anyone successful in getting the $25 off $50 promo code to work?
Jul 23, 2010
98 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
wisebud47 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 5:15 pm
Was anyone successful in getting the $25 off $50 promo code to work?
Went thru Lowe's website and found out that once you buy goods worth $50 or more, you will get a promo code after the fact, which you can use towards another item.