Fiskars Weeder Clearance Sale $29.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2022 11:45 am
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2419 posts
3191 upvotes
Toronto
eugene188 wrote: Does weeding actually work?

I watched my neighbour spend a whole weekend weeding last year. Then like 2 weeks later they had dandelions, not as much as me, but for hours and hours of work...was it even worth it?
Weeding and not over seeding doesn’t work. Took me about 3 yrs but I weed a lot and overseed and compost every spring. When I say overseed I mean overseed. Like use the same amount as starting a new lawn. Now my front lawn have 2 or 3 dandelions only every spring.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3391 posts
3460 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Had mine for about 3 years before it broke. Quick email to Fiskars with a picture of the break, and they shipped me out a replacement without a hassle.
They don't make anything like they used to any more, but at least they stand behind their products with a lifetime warranty which you don't need to jump through hoops to claim, and don't need to send the defective item back.

I have a few fiskars lawn tools (and with lifetime warranties, I like them). And for hose nozzles, I typically stick with Gilmour (since they were also acquired by Fiskars) and they also offer lifetime warranty on most (if not all) their nozzles. Had one that the rubber was pealing off, and also just sent an email with picture and got a replacement pretty quickly, without needing to return the old one. I still have the old one (I glued back the rubber with some gorilla glue clear), and it is not pretty, but it works as a backup.

Like others have said. Weeding works if you fill up the holes, afterwards, and overseed. Took me about 4 years, but I finally have it under control. The most important part for me also, is to mow a little more often during periods when all the neighbours weeds are in "seed release mode", so you can bag as many as possible before they make it down to the soil. I know it is not perfect, but it helps. Nowadays I get less than a handful a year. In the past, my yard was a bed of yellow :)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
3189 posts
1623 upvotes
Ottawa
sonyminidiscman wrote: Weeding and not over seeding doesn’t work. Took me about 3 yrs but I weed a lot and overseed and compost every spring. When I say overseed I mean overseed. Like use the same amount as starting a new lawn. Now my front lawn have 2 or 3 dandelions only every spring.
damn. thats soooo much work. your lawn would definitely look amazing. but man. i dunno if I care enough.

The only reason I care is because I share a lawn with 1 neighbour and I don't want to look too bad. I totally don't mine the natural look tho with random weeds and flowers.
Jan 2, 2020
112 posts
187 upvotes
Do you need to keep the invoice to claim lifetime warranty from Canadian tire or directly from Fiskars?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32003 posts
13502 upvotes
LOL the reviews for this are bad. I have one from what is probably nearly 10 years ago now. It does leave a huge hole in the yard--you need to follow immediately with grass seed/soil.

Mine never broke, but I only used it like one year. After that I stopped giving a crap about the lawn/grass because it's garbage and a stupid waste of time and effort to worship grass. :rolleyes: I'm not a cow, so screw that. I just mow it and that's the end. Spray down the weeds with some US-acquired spray every once in a while...whatever, grass is garbage.

I also think I only paid $20 for mine on sale, not even clearance, but yeah that was a long time ago.

Surprising so many of these break though and surprising they've continued to make it for so many years if it's so bad--they do have a "lifetime warranty". Wonder how many ppl have taken up Fiskars on that instead of just leaving one-star reviews online?
Aug 21, 2011
70 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver
Bought the one at dollarama for $4 and just reinforced the rivet and works perfectly!
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
1494 posts
1736 upvotes

I watched my neighbour spend a whole weekend weeding last year. Then like 2 weeks later they had dandelions, not as much as me, but for hours and hours of work...was it even worth it?
It is labour intensive the first time you do it, just like cleaning a house, by keeping it "tidy" and doing weekly quick cleanups it is easier to manage, if you leave it for 5 years then you'll be overwhelmed with the scope of the work
<signature length too long>
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2419 posts
3191 upvotes
Toronto
eugene188 wrote: damn. thats soooo much work. your lawn would definitely look amazing. but man. i dunno if I care enough.

The only reason I care is because I share a lawn with 1 neighbour and I don't want to look too bad. I totally don't mine the natural look tho with random weeds and flowers.
Yes it is a lot of work. any picture perfect lawn takes money and work. but, the work gets less over time but watering will still cost a bundle. I honestly do it because i have little kids and when i take pictures of them playing on a nice lawn, it just makes the picture look better :)
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1459 posts
736 upvotes
Mine is on year 4 before showing fatigue. As for the holes, free aeration!!
Aug 22, 2019
252 posts
206 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
I live out in the country and have used one for years. This is my second one, as my first one broke after about 5 years and really heavy usage. My current one is about 5 years old now and works great. You just need to figure out the proper way to use it. You don't need to use excessive force. I also have a Round up hook-up for the noxious weeds that surface (poisonous parsnips) so my oversized yard is always weed free. Winking Face
Oct 25, 2017
657 posts
587 upvotes
Got one of the 4 claw. Do this on my lunch, find it quite therapeutic, especially when you get a big juicy root
Jun 3, 2021
16 posts
40 upvotes
Hi all, a bit off topic, this is my first year living in a house, so I’m not too familiar with yard maintenance, but my backyard is literally filled with dandelions. Like I’m talking at least 1000 individual flowers.

Could someone recommend some good ways alongside products to get rid of them?
May 23, 2009
106 posts
182 upvotes
Montreal
Mine broke on my first use. Good job using plastic on the the most fragile part :/
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
3189 posts
1623 upvotes
Ottawa
Cire10 wrote: Hi all, a bit off topic, this is my first year living in a house, so I’m not too familiar with yard maintenance, but my backyard is literally filled with dandelions. Like I’m talking at least 1000 individual flowers.

Could someone recommend some good ways alongside products to get rid of them?
same on my lawn. its like equal parts weeds and equal parts grass.

There is some stuff you can spray on it. I have an attachment that you can put on a hose and the pour the liquid inside and it comes out the nozzle mixed with water. I believe Scotts makes that liquid and you can get it from Home Depot. Depending on how big your yard is, it won't be cheap. Amazon also has similar stuff

It does kill the weeds but I would say maybe a couple weeks later they come back, and you can do it again.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4000 posts
2745 upvotes
Montreal
If it's half weed, then probably easier to just start over.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17685 posts
8413 upvotes

Weeding itself will never work. You will never get everything and you will always have more seeds blow in.

Spraying weeds does work, and it's why they stopped making "Weed and Feed" products where it was a combination of weed killer and liquid fertilizer. It worked incredibly well because it not only killed the weed but fed the grass so it grew stronger. 2-4D products work awesome (you can still get out west but not Ontario).

To really stop weeds from growing, you need to stop them in the first place. That means you need a thick, healthy lawn. Overseed, fertilize, water, and spray weed killer on the occasional one.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4026 posts
1560 upvotes
Montreal
Redgugu wrote: Do you need to keep the invoice to claim lifetime warranty from Canadian tire or directly from Fiskars?
I just replaced my broken (at least) 10 year-old 4-claw one at CT with no receipt. They did ask if I still had a receipt, but I think that was more for them to validate the part#. They replaced it quickly and efficiently and I was back to weeding in no time!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
3414 posts
3341 upvotes
Whitby
Just don't swiss chess your lawn. This PLUS, weed be gone, or natural weed killer AND top soil and grass seed works wonders. My lawn is beautiful now. Thanks for posting this.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2012
1088 posts
297 upvotes
TORONTO
I have one for $28. Locate in Don Mills & Finch. If no one want it, I go to return it. Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)