• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2015 4:17 pm
19 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2012 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Where is "everywhere" that the bulbs are found?
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4051 posts
907 upvotes
Is this similar to an air filter to remove dust? Or does it only remove germs/bacteria? Maybe I'm dirty.. but I haven't gotten really sick from germs/bacteria floating around my house. But if it removes dust, I'm interested...
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2012 upvotes
Fernando Poo
poorwingman wrote: Is this similar to an air filter to remove dust? Or does it only remove germs/bacteria? Maybe I'm dirty.. but I haven't gotten really sick from germs/bacteria floating around my house. But if it removes dust, I'm interested...
No, they circulate air through them across a UV light which kills bacteria and viruses though I question if it will actually keep you from getting sick (would have to pump a lot of air through rapidly to stop you from breathing in a virus if someone just sneezed in the air).
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
1736 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
looked into this product for quite a few weeks, compared other products. my friend got one of these. the amount of air that is 'cleaned' is too tiny to actually be beneficial. the fan on these units is actually audible (we could hear it over quiet parts in a movie). If this was in a bathroom maybe with door shut and very minimal air-flow then maybe. also, UV-C is not very safe to just be around. Any lab that uses UV to kill germs have very strict protocals for handling. you shouldn't be near UV-C. From WHO: "Short-wavelength UVC is the most damaging type of UV radiation. However, it is completely filtered by the atmosphere and does not reach the earth's surface." ... YA NO THANKS.

http://www.who.int/uv/faq/whatisuv/en/index2.html

If you want to 'clean' your air, get something with w/ TRUE hepa and run it all day on low/medium. When you come home from work, breath in deep and you'll start to notice the scrubbed air after 2-3 days. Flow hood's in labs rely on this, where hepa filtered air is pumped over a given surface to provide a safezone for lab work.

Look to spend 130-300~. there are 500$ models which are probably amazing but overkill imo. There's different measures for how much air can be scrubbed so do a little homework based on the room/house size.
Nintendo Switch vibes
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2012 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Its shielded so not much danger. Keep in mind WHO also calls Wifi a carcinogen. Time to kill the smart meters (yeah!!), home wifi, and cellphones.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4051 posts
907 upvotes
hagbard wrote: No, they circulate air through them across a UV light which kills bacteria and viruses though I question if it will actually keep you from getting sick (would have to pump a lot of air through rapidly to stop you from breathing in a virus if someone just sneezed in the air).
Thanks for the post.. Sounds like it's best suited for the waiting room in a doctors office! Lol
Nov 24, 2014
368 posts
412 upvotes
Windsor, ON
poorwingman wrote: Thanks for the post.. Sounds like it's best suited for the waiting room in a doctors office! Lol
Which begs the question, why don't I ever see these in clinic waiting rooms!? Is it possible there's something similar attached to the central air that serves the same function?

Maybe doctors are cheap f*ckers and don't want to spend money - plus, if you go in for a sore knee, then catch something from someone else in the waiting room - more business for the doctor!
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
1736 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
taranducal wrote: Which begs the question, why don't I ever see these in clinic waiting rooms!? Is it possible there's something similar attached to the central air that serves the same function?

Maybe doctors are cheap f*ckers and don't want to spend money - plus, if you go in for a sore knee, then catch something from someone else in the waiting room - more business for the doctor!
malls, business, schools, subway stations, etc, etc should all have hepa filters scrubbing the air. its beyond being 'cheap', its a 'no care' issue and lack of education.

air quality is soooo bad in the city it doesn't matter anyways. i've talked to doctors who have seen the lungs of smokers and non-smokers and literally couldn't tell the difference. im 7 hrs (drive) + 2 hr plane north of GTA now, and the air is soooooooooo good. its almost sweet when you take a big breath. I really feel sorry for people stuck in cities. I visited in February for a short time and couldn't believe how thick and nasty it was.
Nintendo Switch vibes
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1042 posts
233 upvotes
Calgary
poorwingman wrote: Is this similar to an air filter to remove dust? Or does it only remove germs/bacteria? Maybe I'm dirty.. but I haven't gotten really sick from germs/bacteria floating around my house. But if it removes dust, I'm interested...
This one also has a filter to remove dust
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3031 posts
2511 upvotes
GTA Ontario
taranducal wrote: Which begs the question, why don't I ever see these in clinic waiting rooms!? Is it possible there's something similar attached to the central air that serves the same function?

I think you mean "prompts the question" (or demands, etc.):
https://www.google.ca/#q=beg+the+question

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend investing in a small unit that sits alone in a room and works on a small amount of air around it. You'll probably get more noise than sanitation throughout your home. If you're not sure you want it, don't buy anything; and if you're sure you want it, get something that installs in your HVAC system so all your home's air passes through/around it.
https://www.google.ca/#q=hvac+uv
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2012 upvotes
Fernando Poo

A bit over ten years ago, I went to my doctor's office to get results of a test I had done. While sitting in the waiting room, someone brought their kid in was an amazingly nasty cough. Turned out to be Pertussis. I got it a short time after and I'll tell you, it was a nightmare. Coughing till you almost pass out (all exhaling, no inhaling), and two months of 'sleeping' in a chair, that is, between fits of coughing. They should be isolating such people right way to prevent infection, and have a UV light in the circulation system. Don't even know of my wife's office has this, but she never gets sick.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1042 posts
233 upvotes
Calgary
OakAged wrote: Anyway, I wouldn't recommend investing in a small unit that sits alone in a room and works on a small amount of air around it. You'll probably get more noise than sanitation throughout your home. If you're not sure you want it, don't buy anything; and if you're sure you want it, get something that installs in your HVAC system so all your home's air passes through/around it.
https://www.google.ca/#q=hvac+uv
now i don't know how well UVC system in HVAC would work
but i have been using the smaller version of this one near the litter box for years
it completely clear the bad smell
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2012 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Kursor17 wrote: Portable enough to bring on Go train daily commute during flu season? There are power outlets
Its not going to do a thing for you, you need a HEPA mask.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3031 posts
2511 upvotes
GTA Ontario
hagbard wrote: Its not going to do a thing for you, you need a HEPA mask.
+1

IF you need to make sure you don't pick up a virus or germ. But in general, our species really ins't that delicate, or we wouldn't still be here coughing & sneezing at each other.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
516 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
hagbard wrote: A bit over ten years ago, I went to my doctor's office to get results of a test I had done. While sitting in the waiting room, someone brought their kid in was an amazingly nasty cough. Turned out to be Pertussis. I got it a short time after and I'll tell you, it was a nightmare. Coughing till you almost pass out (all exhaling, no inhaling), and two months of 'sleeping' in a chair, that is, between fits of coughing. They should be isolating such people right way to prevent infection, and have a UV light in the circulation system. Don't even know of my wife's office has this, but she never gets sick.
Smart people should slap a surgical mask on their faces when they know they will be around sicker patients in a doctor's waiting room. Very inexpensive. You could've avoided your nightmare had you thought of it.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2012 upvotes
Fernando Poo
HotYaris wrote: Smart people should slap a surgical mask on their faces when they know they will be around sicker patients in a doctor's waiting room. Very inexpensive. You could've avoided your nightmare had you thought of it.
I hadn't thought of it. I wasn't so paranoid about germs then, and now, whenever I do express such paranoia, I point this case to her and she drops the subject.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)