Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowe's

Heat-Air BBQ EP3620 - $79.99 (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2016 4:54 pm
Tags:
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1268 posts
214 upvotes
Brampton
Imo, these grills are about the best and most convenient ways to do steaks. They reach 1100 degrees in a few minutes and are very portable and give the meat great flavour. The downside is they seem to work best on high temperatures as lower temperatures result in poor wood combustion and make the food sooty tasting. This makes it tough to do other foods that require lower temperatures to cook foods all the way through.

I also think it is difficult for people to understand what this grill is about without seeing it in action. This makes it difficult to market and sell in stores and why they end up on clearance. I would not be surprised to see further reductions in price. Even though the price is fair, it is still high enough to prevent people from trying something they don't really know about and limited versatility (despite manufacturer claims to the contrary).

I would also question durability as I have gone through several stainless grills based on the same principle called the "woodflame" grill. The high temperatures probably combined with acidic meat fats cause the grills to destroy themselves, often in little more than a year.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2012
1021 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
Would like you try this out but I see:
Price$173.33 (Price Includes Shipping)
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3249 posts
2257 upvotes
Montreal
invinci wrote: Would like you try this out but I see:
Price$173.33 (Price Includes Shipping)
In store deal and ymmv
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4067 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
What kind of wood does it use? Do you need to buy any special wood/chunks/pucks, or would any dry wood chips small enough to fit in the chamber work?
[OP]
Dec 6, 2011
10 posts
13 upvotes
BELLEVILLE
I will use scrap hardwood from my workshop, mostly ash and maple. The BBQ is louder than I expected with the fan running. The bbq should be fun for tailgate picnics, and I may actually use it as a forge for some toolmaking projects.
Oct 13, 2012
79 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
Just came from lowes warden & Eglington (18:00) and for those interested they had 2 left at 79.99 and one on display.

The unit isn't very big, especially the place where the wood goes. I think because the forge like function it produces extreme heat (fan has 5 settings) with very little amount of fuel/wood.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2011
10 posts
13 upvotes
BELLEVILLE
I fired mine up for a test burn, and it definitely is a fun little toy. Now to try cooking something on it, maybe drumsticks or thighs. I am hoping to replace my slow and messy hibachi with this unit.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3271 posts
1901 upvotes
randall123 wrote: I fired mine up for a test burn, and it definitely is a fun little toy. Now to try cooking something on it, maybe drumsticks or thighs. I am hoping to replace my slow and messy hibachi with this unit.
It is VERY difficult to cook poultry on these grills. As stated earlier - they work best on HIGH heat (700 - 1000 degrees) and that doesn't do very well on chicken (burnt outside and still raw inside). Great for veggies and steaks that like short cooking times at high heat. I guess you could boil the poultry beforehand but that kindof defeats the purpose. Cooking at lower temps on these grills isn't ideal as the lower combustion seems to result in lots of soot and negatively affects the flavour of the foods.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
2052 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like this is a good item to finish off items after sous viding them.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2011
10 posts
13 upvotes
BELLEVILLE
I found varying the amount of wood in the unit affects surface temps as much as the fan speed. Also, the edges of the grill are a fair bit cooler. The ash hardwood burned almost smokeless. With the clever use of some tinfoil to both mimic indirect grilling and to minimize soot from drippings, I think chicken might not need a precook or sous-vide.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4556 posts
1196 upvotes
Hamilton
O good. I have all this PT wood I need to get rid of.
Jan 26, 2014
890 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sidshock wrote: O good. I have all this PT wood I need to get rid of.
some pt wood have chemicals in them ?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4556 posts
1196 upvotes
Hamilton
omegadivide wrote: some pt wood have chemicals in them ?
Ya all PT would. I was just making a not so tasteful joke.
Jan 23, 2009
10 posts
toronto
Your not-so-tasteful-joke could lead to someone getting poisoned. You are an idiot.
Jan 23, 2009
10 posts
toronto
All Lowes stores seem to have these at $79.99. Their web site says they are online only, so when you call the Indoor Seasonal department the staff don't seem to be able to find them, price them, or even know they are in stock without the "Item Number": 612441. After you tell them the item number it's easy.
May 23, 2004
700 posts
43 upvotes
kalachakraa wrote: Your not-so-tasteful-joke could lead to someone getting poisoned. You are an idiot.
No, an idiot is someone who actually cooks food over PT lumber after reading one comment on the internet. While it wasn't very funny, OP was clearly joking. Nobody with half a brain would take what he said seriously.
Nov 25, 2004
190 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto, ON
looking at the pictures, it looks like to properly control the cooking temperature you have to raise the grill BY HAND. it's not a very useful grill for things requiring a controlled and lower temp. But for searing stuff it should be great. Looks like only good for lamb and beef. poultry and pork you'll end up burning the meat or it's raw on the inside still. The grill would work for slower cooking if they actually came with a special rack that can let you raise the grill higher. $80 is not really a impulse buy for someone to test out or play with.
Jun 17, 2003
734 posts
450 upvotes
Toronto
Azreal911 wrote: looking at the pictures, it looks like to properly control the cooking temperature you have to raise the grill BY HAND.

It's got a handle that slots into the diffuser. Easy and safe.
Azreal911 wrote: it's not a very useful grill for things requiring a controlled and lower temp. But for searing stuff it should be great. Looks like only good for lamb and beef.
It's been stated elsewhere that it's not great for smoking or low temps - things tend to get sooty. However, high heat is great for veggies and fish, not just lamb & beef.

It's not meant to outperform a full size charcoal weber. But you'd be hard-pressed to do better for $80 if you're looking for a fast-to-heat-up, super-hot, non-gas, portable option.
Definitely a niche product.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)