• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2019 3:27 pm
[OP]
Dec 6, 2013
706 posts
266 upvotes
Ontario

Lowes and Home Depot

What's everyone's thoughts and feelings about these two?

Within 15 minute driving distance from my house there are 4 Home Depots and 2 Lowes. I tend to shop at Home Depots more often due to locations and their very easy return policy (bought an item last year, showed up with the receipt and they gave me store credit), which I had to use quite often due to the DYI basement renovation.

But couple years ago my car got broken into, my wallet was stolen. I had recent receipts from Lowes and Home Depot showing the store cards that were used, with some balance. Home Depot was not willing to help (cards are treated like cash), while Lowes escalated the issue, cancelled the stolen card, and issued me a new gift card with the same balance. So that was pretty nice, among the mess of trying to sort my life out from the incident.

Recently I got into woodworking and noticed Lowes has a very good selection of woodworking tools, better than Home Depot (power tools like sanders, planner, band saws, drill presses, even mini jointers!!). I was pleasantly surprised.

Are there any particular hobbies/ interests/ trade-tools that you would prefer one over the other? Of course this is just comparing the tool, not specialty stores. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
:cool:
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16245 posts
13537 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Lol, when it comes to hardware / home improvement stores we are surrounded by many many options here in Eastern Ontario (like too many to count between various chains and independents)

As strategic shoppers... we go to whoever has the best price / promo on whatever is currently on our Shopping List

More often than not this past year that has been a Store in the Lowes Group (Lowes - Rona - Reno Depot)

Overall I like the Lowes Branded Stores the best ... layout, merchandise, etc

Definitely have more stuff to choose from on the floor vs Home Depot ... be it their Gardening Centre, Outdoor Furniture & BBQs, Appliances, Paint, Lighting, Hardware etc

The only place I find Home Depot does better is Lumber

But then Rona & Reno Depot ... are awesome when it comes to Lumber. Definitely can tell they started in Quebec as Stores primarily selling lumber & building supplies vs decor etc

We also like Lowes Group cuz they offer up AirMiles vs Home Depot ... which has no loyalty program

ADD - We’ve also ordered online from stores in the Lowes Group ... for store pick up
Straight forward no issues.
Cannot say the same for HD
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2624 posts
2601 upvotes
Montreal
In all honesty, I prefer Hone Depot due to the brands available (Leviton vs Copper at Rona for instance). I also prefer the experience, the staff, the policies, the store layout and location

The problem is Home Depot always claim low prices and best prices ... This is BS. Rona and Reno Depot is often cheaper. The lumber and gypse is similar pricing but everything else is cheaper at Rona and cie.

The other thing is Reno and Rona often have 15%-20% off while HD never have this kind of promotion (10% with card over 299 every 6-8 weeks). It doesn't apply to lumber, gypse, etc but it applies to electrical, vinyl, etc...
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10111 posts
1536 upvotes
Theres like NOTHING in my area. A good 15+ min drive to get to one store. Lowes is so far away and inconvenient too.

I wish we had a closer one tbh
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45468 posts
5978 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Home Depot FTW - much better selection, the stores are easier to navigate, and prices are lowest most of the time - the 10% PM covers the rest.

Lowe's has some specialty items such as tools that I wish HD would stock, but as I got more and more into woodworking, I found that the things I'm looking for aren't at either stores, but rather at more specialty stores anyways.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16235 posts
17694 upvotes
Oakville
xfftwf wrote: What's everyone's thoughts and feelings about these two?

Within 15 minute driving distance from my house there are 4 Home Depots and 2 Lowes. I tend to shop at Home Depots more often due to locations and their very easy return policy (bought an item last year, showed up with the receipt and they gave me store credit), which I had to use quite often due to the DYI basement renovation.

But couple years ago my car got broken into, my wallet was stolen. I had recent receipts from Lowes and Home Depot showing the store cards that were used, with some balance. Home Depot was not willing to help (cards are treated like cash), while Lowes escalated the issue, cancelled the stolen card, and issued me a new gift card with the same balance. So that was pretty nice, among the mess of trying to sort my life out from the incident.

Recently I got into woodworking and noticed Lowes has a very good selection of woodworking tools, better than Home Depot (power tools like sanders, planner, band saws, drill presses, even mini jointers!!). I was pleasantly surprised.

Are there any particular hobbies/ interests/ trade-tools that you would prefer one over the other? Of course this is just comparing the tool, not specialty stores. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Why do you leave your wallet in your car?
[OP]
Dec 6, 2013
706 posts
266 upvotes
Ontario
engineered wrote: Why do you leave your wallet in your car?
I had my reasons
:cool:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6677 posts
1259 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I have no loyalty to either one, so it depends on what I am looking for.

Lowes have better deals (like $10 off $100 or no tax), so it's nice for big purchases. If I need to pick some stuff up quick because I need stuff for repair I just hit the home depot as stuff is just easier to find there for some reason.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5177 posts
2946 upvotes
Toronto
In my experience, Lowe's customer service is hit or miss, depending on location and manager.
Have had some good experiences, but also, super weird and annoying (when price matching).
Years back, purchased a fridge, stove, and dishwasher (renovated kitchen), and purchased extended warranty (which had wear and tear clause which is no longer offered).

Had various problems with Frigidaire fridge (1 problem with LG stove, zero problems with Bosch dishwasher).
When extended warranty was coming to a close, wanted to replace various items (cracked shelves, cracked door shelf, fridge door liner). Was expecting to put up a fight. Instead, they contacted me and refunded the entire purchase price for that fridge. I was quite shocked. I guess those parts were no longer common, so cheaper to buy me out?

That was almost a year ago. I'm still using the fridge (the problems were cosmetic), and ended up buying an upright freezer (to replace an old chest), with plenty gift card balance left.

Does anyone know if there are any Lowe's discount promos that work with Clearance items?
Seems like many promotions (such as today's INTERNET 20% off code) only work on regular price items.
Is that always the case?
Does hold the tax work with Clearance, or any of the air miles promos?
Looking at a $400 purchase.
Sitting on the fence, but would pull the trigger if I could add another discount/deal.
Apr 10, 2019
377 posts
615 upvotes
Ottawa
shikotee wrote: In my experience, Lowe's customer service is hit or miss, depending on location and manager.
Have had some good experiences, but also, super weird and annoying (when price matching).
Years back, purchased a fridge, stove, and dishwasher (renovated kitchen), and purchased extended warranty (which had wear and tear clause which is no longer offered).

Had various problems with Frigidaire fridge (1 problem with LG stove, zero problems with Bosch dishwasher).
When extended warranty was coming to a close, wanted to replace various items (cracked shelves, cracked door shelf, fridge door liner). Was expecting to put up a fight. Instead, they contacted me and refunded the entire purchase price for that fridge. I was quite shocked. I guess those parts were no longer common, so cheaper to buy me out?

That was almost a year ago. I'm still using the fridge (the problems were cosmetic), and ended up buying an upright freezer (to replace an old chest), with plenty gift card balance left.

Does anyone know if there are any Lowe's discount promos that work with Clearance items?
Seems like many promotions (such as today's INTERNET 20% off code) only work on regular price items.
Is that always the case?
Does hold the tax work with Clearance, or any of the air miles promos?
Looking at a $400 purchase.
Sitting on the fence, but would pull the trigger if I could add another discount/deal.
Stay up and save a few times a year includes sale items. Contractor “secret” sales (usually about once a month and you need a dedicated account manager) has 15 or 20% on everything including flyer and clearance but not appliances.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Obviously not comparable if you need stuff like lumber or flooring or appliances, but for tools my go to is Princess Auto.
I like Power Fisting.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3950 posts
2460 upvotes
Vancouver
I treat both more or less the same. Lowes has the advantage of air miles if everything else is equal but otherwise the are pretty much the same. I find it easier to PM at home depot than Lowes if im price matching an online or smaller retailer prices.