Home & Garden

Lowes/Home Depot - Tank Water Heater Installation - Delivery fees ? Any experiences ?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2018 2:42 pm
[OP]
Banned
Oct 15, 2016
101 posts
55 upvotes

Lowes/Home Depot - Tank Water Heater Installation - Delivery fees ? Any experiences ?

If you get a water heater installed from HD or Lowes. Do the installers pick up the new water heater for Free from the respective store or do they charge their standard $ 75 delivery fee on top of that ?

I think there is a :

1. $ 40 initial inspection fee or quote, which the installer comes to your house and gives you a quote/estimate. Its not deducted from final cost.
2. $ 325 basic installation fee on top of the $ 40 estimate fee.
3. Any additional piping etc will be extra . Basic install won't cover it.

But what about the $ 75 delivery fee you generally have to pay if you buy it on your own and ship it to your house ? Will they charge that too ? Or will it be included for Free since you are going for their installation ?

Anyone who recently installed one from HD or Lowes, were they charged this $ 75 delivery fee or was it free ? Thanks
39 replies
Dec 24, 2006
84 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton
I bought a tank from Lowes back in July and had it installed in August.

the $40 inspection fee does get applied to the installation price should you proceed with them to install.

also they do charge a $75 delivery fee and it is not free should you go with their installation. I ended up renting their truck (which was roughly $22 + $2 for gas top up upon return). I believe you get 90 mins but I only needed it for about 45 mins as I live less than 5km away from the store. Renting their truck/van is about a $50 cheaper option instead of the delivery

The tank sat at the store for about a month which was fine with them.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 15, 2016
101 posts
55 upvotes
SB80 wrote: I bought a tank from Lowes back in July and had it installed in August.

the $40 inspection fee does get applied to the installation price should you proceed with them to install.

also they do charge a $75 delivery fee and it is not free should you go with their installation. I ended up renting their truck (which was roughly $22 + $2 for gas top up upon return). I believe you get 90 mins but I only needed it for about 45 mins as I live less than 5km away from the store. Renting their truck/van is about a $50 cheaper option instead of the delivery

Cool Thanks :)

Did you shop around and see if Home Depot installation procedure/fees for installation was the same or not ?

The tank I am buying is pretty much the same price and quality at both places. So might as well go with the cheaper installation :). Called them and chatted with them , none would give any details. Just come to store and found out.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 15, 2016
101 posts
55 upvotes
SB80 wrote: I bought a tank from Lowes back in July and had it installed in August.

Did you have to change the old Black piping to the new code PVC White piping ? How much was the approximate charge for that, if you did ? I don't think basic install fee of $ 325 covers it :(
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
149 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Two years ago I bought my water heater from Lowes, but didn't have them install it. Found someone to do it for $250. Just to give you an idea what someone else might charge.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4384 posts
5147 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Everything costs extra. Here is the Lowes installation price list that I took last month.

Basic Install = 275 (325 for power vent)
Delivery = 75
New white piping if you have black piping = ~200 according to the rep I spoke to
Disposal = 50

Dec 12, 2007
522 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Hi everyone,

i am thinking of purchasing and installing from Lowes for a Hot Water Tank Heater.

Just wondering if anyone has had any recent experiences in doing so and has the above changed over the years?
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3785 posts
391 upvotes
Pickering, ON
I did it last summer from Lowe's and the above still applied.

$325 for basic install (at the time I did it, Lowe's had 15% off installation)
$75 for delivery
+ anything extra

I lugged the tank home in their rental cargo van for $20. People recommend not laying the tank on its side, but I chanced it.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3397 posts
628 upvotes
Newbury, ON
I did it a few years ago from home depot. They didn't break down the pricing. It was water heater price + $400 total for the install work.
Dec 12, 2007
522 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
BD006 wrote: I did it last summer from Lowe's and the above still applied.

$75 for delivery
+ anything extra

I lugged the tank home in their rental cargo van for $20. People recommend not laying the tank on its side, but I chanced it.
rilles wrote: I did it a few years ago from home depot. They didn't break down the pricing. It was water heater price + $400 total for the install work.
thanks this is extremely helpful !

So I am thinking it's roughly in the 1000-1200 range to have it purchased and fully installed.

Currently I'm taking over a rental from the prior owner that is $34.19 a month. I realized I would have to wait until year 3 to start getting back savings, but I think if I do this would be worth it.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1207 posts
656 upvotes
ottawa
phoenix_bladen wrote: thanks this is extremely helpful !

So I am thinking it's roughly in the 1000-1200 range to have it purchased and fully installed.

Currently I'm taking over a rental from the prior owner that is $34.19 a month. I realized I would have to wait until year 3 to start getting back savings, but I think if I do this would be worth it.
Also look into sharkbite connectors - I just replaced my old giant cascade 40 (17 years old) with a new 40 gal rheem for 420 taxes in. Turned off the cold water, opened the hot faucet to release pressure, connected a hose to the drain valve and drained into the main stack, cut the pipes, turned the electricity off, swapped heaters, used the two sharkbite connectors, turned the water back on, then after the tank had filled I hooked up and turned the power back on.

Was surprisingly easy, new tank was light (120lbs) old one was incredibly heavy probably 250lbs.
Nov 30, 2015
355 posts
158 upvotes
GTA, ON
BD006 wrote: I did it last summer from Lowe's and the above still applied.

$75 for delivery
+ anything extra

I used delivery. I'm a wimp and no matter how much Wheaties I eat there is no way I can handle that 200 lbs tank. One of my neighbours on the other hand used his pickup truck but it took three of us to get it into his basement. Cost me a bit but saved my back.
Dec 12, 2007
522 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
I just called Lowes, same as above -> $325 + $80 for basic installation and delivery.

The only thing is they don't bring back the old tank for you, too bad they don't have this service.

I inquired about at least bringing it up to the ground floor from the basement -> as it is very heavy

And then getting some friends to load it onto a rental truck or paid someone from kijiji to move it.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4196 posts
1915 upvotes
Toronto
3. Any additional piping etc will be extra . Basic install won't cover it.
I did my own a few years back. Replaced a Cascade 40 with a Cascade 40 thinking it would be a simple swap in tight quarters. They had moved the locations of the in and out on the tank. There was over 20 solder joints involved. A job like that is going to cost you.
Social Distancing means staying apart 2 meters or 6 feet, the depth of a grave.
Get closer and you might have one foot in the grave. (Pass it on)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)