Hot Deals

[Lowe's] HOT Deal - $14.99 Reg about $50.00 - Green Cross 25-kg Lawn Fertilizer with Nutri-Lock Technology and 2% Iron (30-0-3)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2020 11:43 am
[OP]
Aug 13, 2020
194 posts
545 upvotes

[Lowe's] HOT Deal - $14.99 Reg about $50.00 - Green Cross 25-kg Lawn Fertilizer with Nutri-Lock Technology and 2% Iron (30-0-3)

Lowe's is showing $14.99 with a regular price of $ 24.99. The regular price is more like $50.00 and you can find it in some stores (out west perhaps?) for $14.99 as well.

Great for grass and anything with little or no flowers (IE: Bamboo, some herbs, trees, etc.)

Green Cross 25-kg Lawn Fertilizer with Nutri-Lock Technology and 2% Iron (30-0-3)

https://www.lowes.ca/product/lawn-ferti ... -3-1159259

12 Kilo is $8.09

Green Cross 12-kg Lawn Fertilizer with Nutri-Lock Technology and 2% Iron (30-0-3)
https://www.lowes.ca/product/lawn-ferti ... -3-1159258
Images
  • Deal.jpg
Last edited by IslandDeal on Oct 19th, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
23 replies
Feb 2, 2011
96 posts
105 upvotes
Markham, ON
Thanks OP! Can you use these in the fall? I've never fertilized grass so not sure how this works.
Is it best to wait until the winter season is over and then apply it?
Don't spend two dollars on drying clean a shirt. Donate it to the Salvation Army instead. They'll clean it and put it on a hanger. Next morning, buy it back for seventy-five cents.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2020
194 posts
545 upvotes
muizzp wrote: Thanks OP! Can you use these in the fall? I've never fertilized grass so not sure how this works.
Yes, you can fertilize in the fall:

As per:

Fall is the best time to give your lawn a good feeding. As the weather begins to cool, your lawn will slow its top growth while the roots will continue to actively grow. A fall fertilizer application should be applied at the right time, when the plants are still absorbing nutrients. If the ground is frozen or the grass has stopped growing, it is too late. Feeding your lawn in the fall is crucial.

A fall feeding delivers vital nutrients to encourage deep root growth and will help your lawn to store essential nutrients over the long cold Canadian winter. The storing process will continue as long as the plant is green. At the first sign of spring, your lawn will quickly tap into the stored nutrients, increasing the chances of you having a healthy green lawn.

Last edited by IslandDeal on Oct 18th, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2591 posts
3407 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
muizzp wrote: Thanks OP! Can you use these in the fall? I've never fertilized grass so not sure how this works.
You want to apply it now BEFORE winter so that the grass has time to store the energy for next year. If you had to apply once a year fall would be the one not to skip. During the rest of the year if you wanted to cheap out (and not use a grass clipping bag collector on the lawn mower) then the mulched grass will break down adding nutrients back to the ground along with the earthworms coming up to eat said clippings. You can also add other sorta free items to your lawn to break down through regular use at home like coffee/tea grinds/bags and crushed egg shells. Next time you rake the leaves just do a rough leaf raking and scatter or leave small amounts of leaves left on the lawn and run it over with the mower to add more nutients back to the lawn.

Of course if you want to spend the extra fertilizer feedings 2-4 times a year and bag your clippings then that is up to you. IMHO the best 2 times to fertilizer is before winter and in spring so the lawn can prepare for winter and jump start the lawn for the warm months ahead. Also check Walmart this time of yer for any left over stock. I lucked out a few years ago and IIRC it was $2.50 for like 20lb bags of Shultz lawn fert and that covered 8000 sqft IIRC (my lawn is approx 2000sqft total IIRC) which meant one bag covered me for 4 applications for the whole year which is why I bought 4 bags back then but I used it a little in the garden as well. Ended up having like 3yrs worth of fertilizer for $10bucks in.

EDIT:

Always best apply before a rain storm so that the fertilizer is watered in. If you're broadcasting the into a garden with a multi-use spreader (I use an Ortho hand spreader) then it is a good idea to get the hose out and spray all the plants and leaves down after you've applied some lawn fertilizer into the garden otherwise you can get leaf burning where the fertilzer is left to sit. Like don't use the gentle shower water wand or jet nozzle setting if you have a multi nozzle hand sprayer but something in between like the 'center' setting on my Orbit hand sprayer so you can spray loose any fertilizer stuck on the leaves. Even if you're getting rain in an hour still spray the leaves just to be sure. You might get looks from people of why you're watering when the skies are about to open up and pour but better then seeing leaf spotting.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Jun 10, 2011
59 posts
20 upvotes
KIRKLAND
At the niece price of $49.95 from Port Hope (Ontario) to Montreal West Island (Pierrefond) at RONA.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2113 posts
2724 upvotes
Toronto
fall fertilizer usually have a higher 3rd number, 30-0-10... first number is for the green, last number is for root growth. fertilizer just before it rains like these few days. sometimes in the summer i watch the weather, if it will rain overnight i throw down fertilizer, save me from watering it in.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
4830 posts
9077 upvotes
Ottawa
wills1 wrote: Rona one is a 6Kg bag for 14.99. I didn’t see a 25 Kg one for this price
It depends on the store, but it seems wherever there's stock it's sold for $14.99
https://stocktrack.ca/?s=rona&sku=12675398

There're also 12 kg bags for $8.09
https://www.rona.ca/en/green-cross-nutr ... 1-12675397
https://stocktrack.ca/?s=rona&sku=12675397
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6684 posts
464 upvotes
GT'eh
I was able to grab a few bags some of this fertilizer and gave a few bags away and I find it takes very long to break down, even with rain and regular watering, it might have even damaged parts of my lawn due to high nitro gen, I found it doesn't absorb very well, must be a reason its on clearance price is so low.
I went back used a mix of scotts and Milo (got some from a from a friend who had some bags left over).
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
Apr 10, 2019
282 posts
481 upvotes
Ottawa
Costco has marked down their 20kg bags of Scott's to 14.97 (bought on Saturday but can confirm Inness (Ottawa) still had a skid yesterday).

Good deal if you can find some.
Nov 18, 2009
232 posts
99 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote: fall fertilizer usually have a higher 3rd number, 30-0-10... first number is for the green, last number is for root growth. fertilizer just before it rains like these few days. sometimes in the summer i watch the weather, if it will rain overnight i throw down fertilizer, save me from watering it in.
I think you're pretty close. As an all around "FYI" for people reading the thread : Fertilizer is labeled : N-P-K. Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium.

Nitrogen is for turf growth and a nice rich green color.
Phosphorus (second number) is what would generally help your turf to achieve deep root growth.
Potassium will help with over all health of your lawn.

Technically, you should test your soil and determine from the results what type of fertilizer you should use. The results will show any deficiencies in nutrients.

More specifically to this fertilizer, it's heavy in Nitrogen, which would generally be good for "greening up your lawn" during the spring/summer. Once the soil temperature drops below around 5 degrees Celsius the grass will go dormant any way.

Most "fall" marketed fertilizers will have at least some "K" and ideally some "P".

Just my two cents.
Oct 8, 2020
106 posts
77 upvotes
seafish wrote: Check Rona, Stockyards location shows they have some 25 kg bags (can try placing pickup order)
TY - but I avoid driving into Toronto as much as I can.
I just hate the big city