Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowe's

HOT !! FrontierX Single stage gas snow blower 51% off for $244 online

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2018 5:08 pm
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
crazdefool wrote: I am very happy with my $99 corded snowjoe. I keep the cord coiled neatly and store everything on my porch. If its stolen I'm only out a few bucks. My first pass uncoils the cord and the remaining passes the cord lies in the previous pass and doesn't usually get in the way. I can clear the driveway and sidewalk in about 5 minutes and at 4am its reasonably quiet. Obviously it has its limitations but its a huge time saver for me.
Yup, 5 minutes with a single stage as well and no cord to deal with........but it's pretty loud, I wouldn't want to clear my driveway at 4AM, the neighbours wouldn't be happy.
Jan 8, 2018
138 posts
138 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote: That's a REALLY poor assumption. The professional snow clearing companies almost ALL use Toro single stage machines. I can clear 3 driveways with my 21" Toro 221QR in the time it takes someone with a 2 stage to clear 1 driveway, and with a LOT less effort. Sure, sometimes the plow pile is crazy, but I can ALWAYS get through it (even if it takes a couple of passes). 95% of the time I'm ABSOLUTELY thrilled I have a single stage over a 2 stage, the other 5% of the time I think about the 95% of the time when I'm happy ;)

The biggest problem with the Toro single stages is how much the prices have gone up over the years. Bought mine for around $600 but now it's hard to get a similar model for under $1000. Still, I'd pay EXTRA for my single stage Toro over pretty much any 2 stage. We just get an average amount of snowfall in Kitchener and I only have a 3 car driveway now (used to clear an 8 car gravel driveway with the thing - not ideal), if we had lake effect snowfall like London does I'd think about something bigger - but probably still buy a single stage knowing how great it is.

I'm somewhat less impressed with my commercial grade Toro Super Recycler lawnmower........it's self propelled and cuts lawn, but doesn't kick ass like the Toro single stage snowblowers do.

I find that you don't need electric start (except for the first start of the season) - my wife can start our recoil unit without issues, and the Toro quik chute option is worth it's weight in gold.
I didn't realize any single stage can effectively deal with the stuff the plow leaves at the end of the driveway. That's good to know.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
miksterz1 wrote: I didn't realize any single stage can effectively deal with the stuff the plow leaves at the end of the driveway. That's good to know.
The secret is to not leave it to sit for a few days to freeze or you're completely screwed. It can't cut up large ice chunks with a rubber auger, it can certainly throw smaller ones though.

I enjoy when we get 3' of snow because I drive my snowblower under the snow with only the chute sticking out. It's pretty funny.

I think one thing to mention here is that not all single stages are the same. Toro and Honda make VERY good units, but expensive. I've heard that some of the 3rd party units aren't good for much. I know nothing about the unit listed here other than it kinda looks like a blue version of mine. I wouldn't expect it to be the same quality as a $1000 Toro unit. I think completely dismissing it just because it's a single stage is an incorrect assumption, dismissing it because it's a FrontierX might be a better approach.
Sep 9, 2016
392 posts
1010 upvotes
Leask
Thanks OP! I had been debating buying one of the Cub Cadet models that is on clearance, and that extra 10% gave me the incentive to pull the trigger!
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6622 upvotes
London
Almost all snowblower engines are made in China now including Toro and Briggs and Stratton.

LCT is trying to restart the Tecumseh snow king engine factory in the US.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7087 upvotes
West GTEH!
IntrepidRT wrote: That's a REALLY poor assumption. The professional snow clearing companies almost ALL use Toro single stage machines. I can clear 3 driveways with my 21" Toro 221QR in the time it takes someone with a 2 stage to clear 1 driveway, and with a LOT less effort. Sure, sometimes the plow pile is crazy, but I can ALWAYS get through it (even if it takes a couple of passes). 95% of the time I'm ABSOLUTELY thrilled I have a single stage over a 2 stage, the other 5% of the time I think about the 95% of the time when I'm happy ;)

The biggest problem with the Toro single stages is how much the prices have gone up over the years. Bought mine for around $600 but now it's hard to get a similar model for under $1000. Still, I'd pay EXTRA for my single stage Toro over pretty much any 2 stage. We just get an average amount of snowfall in Kitchener and I only have a 3 car driveway now (used to clear an 8 car gravel driveway with the thing - not ideal), if we had lake effect snowfall like London does I'd think about something bigger - but probably still buy a single stage knowing how great it is.

I find that you don't need electric start (except for the first start of the season) - my wife can start our recoil unit without issues, and the Toro quik chute option is worth it's weight in gold.

I'm somewhat less impressed with my commercial grade Toro Super Recycler lawnmower........it's self propelled and cuts lawn, but doesn't kick ass like the Toro single stage snowblowers do.
+1 for Toro single stage snowblower.
I don't know why I waited so long to purchase 1. It's a lot quicker to move the snow. And I finish a lot quicker than my neighbors who have the big 2-stage snowblowers.
The only issue is with EOD snow. It takes a little bit more time to get through it.
But well worth the $$ spent. And it saves my back. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
😎

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)