• Nov 7th, 2020 6:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 16, 2006
105 posts
73 upvotes
Edmonton

[Lowe's] iRobot iRobot Roomba i3+ (3550) Wi-Fi Connected Robot Vacuum $545

Lowes has the new roomba i3+ for $600 - $15/25 off anything over $600. That brings the price point down to $545. The i3+ is the entry level model for self emptying. It does not have a camera, but it does do mapping. All other retailers seem to list it for $750. Costco has the i4+, similar model for 750.

For a quick review, I'm on my 3rd robot vacuum in 11 years. (Roomba 500 series, eufy 11, now i3+). It looks the new brush design of the Roomba's is going to be a winner. I have dogs, and one of the big problems that I have experienced is that the dog hair gets wrapped up in the rollers, then the motors and brushes. This causes all sorts of problems. My eufy was especially bad and I just stopped using it because it got jammed so often. I got tired of being a vacuum tech. After putting on the i3 last night, I checked and at least on first run it did not suffer from the same problems. The i3 seemed to do a good job on our hard wood floor. I was also impressed mid-cleaning it returned to the base to charge then restarted. The map feature of the app is good. It looked like it hit most of my main-floor. However, it doesn't have the no-go zones like some of the other robots. The obstacle avoidance was really good. The eufy would get caught up in edges and doorstops, the roomba had no issues. It kind of stalls in front of an object figures out a path and then carries on. Negatives? I think it's loud. It doesn't annoy me, but I think some people wont like it. The base that it empties into is VERY LOUD, on par with opening my sweeper trap on my central vac. The one year warranty sucks. Some people on other models have had their bases die just out of warranty and told to buy another.

A good review is "vacuum wars" on youtube.
Last edited by prosonik on Nov 5th, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
35 replies
Dec 4, 2017
310 posts
368 upvotes
Whitby
Don't think it's a great price, but meh.
Whats the reason for the mapping option if it's missing the no-go zone? Just to ask the robot to start in an specific room?

Upvoted anyway for the price and review details. :)
Jan 29, 2019
21 posts
2 upvotes
I wanted to love this vacuum, and I like it a lot, but it just fell a little short of my expectations. The main things that I like about this vacuum are the smart navigation and the ease of use. The things that I dislike about this vacuum are the noise and the way it struggles with certain debris.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1246 posts
1008 upvotes
Toronto
this roomba vs the self empty shark?
thoughts?
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1970 posts
3 upvotes
Thornhill
Its a great Roomba for the price. I have S9+ and I7+ at home (excellent zone room mapping) and just placed order for this one ( for my basement), (Its very hard to move robots with disposal heavy stand from level to level). Its an excellent choice if u have a lot of open space available and don't need no go room mapping ,
Jun 4, 2011
239 posts
176 upvotes
pererac wrote: this roomba vs the self empty shark?
thoughts?
Also looking at these 2. From what I gather, the shark is a bit dumber (takes a long time to learn areas and can't see well in the dark) but the roller is very good and suction is good too. The shark also has the price advantage (easily found for under 400 every month or 2) and it's a bagless system so you don't spend on those either. I'm waiting for it to go on sale for BF.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1246 posts
1008 upvotes
Toronto
hakira wrote: Also looking at these 2. From what I gather, the shark is a bit dumber (takes a long time to learn areas and can't see well in the dark) but the roller is very good and suction is good too. The shark also has the price advantage (easily found for under 400 every month or 2) and it's a bagless system so you don't spend on those either. I'm waiting for it to go on sale for BF.
I agree with you! Did not realize its bag-less = $ in my pocket - dust in my face once a month though lol.
Lowest I've seen for the Shark Self Clean XL is $509 at costco............like you I'm keeping an eye out for BF specials.
I'm using the shark, bought from amazon.ca at $530, trial until Jan 31st.
- so far once the mapping is done, its great! Took about 3 days and one map deletion to get it right.
- my floor is all hardwood, with very little carpet - so not looking for a deep clean ( I use a roomba s9+ self clean for 2nd floor with carpets and pet fur)
- coming from a max power eufy - which was loud, 'dumb', no self empty so pain in the ass to clean daily, and got stuck more often.
Mar 16, 2018
843 posts
931 upvotes
Hamilton
Nice find! I just bought the regular i3 a few weeks ago and I’m really liking it. From the reviews out there, it performs as well as the more expensive models despite lacking cameras/LIDAR, it has no problems navigating my 3 bedroom apartment and does a thorough job. I’ll probably buy the clean base one day... I wish they went bagless like shark instead of trying to squeeze a subscription out of you.
Aug 7, 2011
784 posts
355 upvotes
alexsok wrote: Its a great Roomba for the price. I have S9+ and I7+ at home (excellent zone room mapping) and just placed order for this one ( for my basement), (Its very hard to move robots with disposal heavy stand from level to level). Its an excellent choice if u have a lot of open space available and don't need no go room mapping ,
Upvoted because it sounds like you're rich #goalz

I carry my Eufy to three different floors :(
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1246 posts
1008 upvotes
Toronto
1theguy1 wrote: Upvoted because it sounds like you're rich #goalz

Life will change when you upgrade from eufy to a self clean smart roomba!

At least try it out with Costco's 90 day policy!

Self clean, no dust in your face, no running it multiple times to catch the areas the dumb eufy misses. Roomba s9+ does a deeper clean on carpets. Oh - and no need to de-tangle brushes and clogs with the roomba, unlike the eufy.

It's louder, and you'll have a lighter wallet. But a cleaner home and healthier spaces.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2294 posts
1889 upvotes
Vancouver
1theguy1 wrote: Upvoted because it sounds like you're rich #goalz

LOL so I am not the only one carrying the EUFY around the whole house lmao!!
[OP]
Dec 16, 2006
105 posts
73 upvotes
Edmonton
I'll be honest - I have no idea why do mapping, if you can't block out certain areas? I guess it starts to do better avoidance and improves battery life. For me, it's a visual thing of "Did the roomba clean everywhere". The i3 can't do 'clean room xxx" the i7 can. I think you need the fancy-pants camera.

The price isn't great for a robot vacuum - there are better price points out there. But for me, I was looking for self-empty and roomba, with somewhat decent amount of features. I also didn't want to pay $1k. The i3 hit most of the points, and according to everything I have read, it has better vacuuming power compared to the i7. So the value for all the RFD folks out there - I can't find a better deal on the i3+, it's $165 bucks cheaper then every other place I've looked. Not bad!

FInally, as I mentioned, I have a dog and cat. I didn't want another model like the EUFY that I would have to pull out dog hair EVERYTIME I use the damn thing, it's not convenient, it's a pain in the ass.. I'd rather just vacuum.

MrMello wrote: Don't think it's a great price, but meh.
Whats the reason for the mapping option if it's missing the no-go zone? Just to ask the robot to start in an specific room?

Upvoted anyway for the price and review details. :)
Mar 17, 2014
659 posts
340 upvotes
Vancouver
$545, is this warm? seems still expensive. waiting for BF deal on these robot vacs as we need one.... looking at eufy, roomba, and few others that i forgot the name, lol, keep it coming!!!
[OP]
Dec 16, 2006
105 posts
73 upvotes
Edmonton
Ha! Yeah the bag. Well two things. I believe in the power of RFD. By a $600 vacuum, complain about the bags. I have to save my pennies to waste on the next deal. So, I was looking at the bag already, and I'm convinced i can hack together or 3d print an attachment for my central vac or shop-vac that I can vacuum the bag out :). I should be able to extend the usage. If i have to clean out the bag every week or two, it's still a big time saver.
ownthesky wrote: Nice find! I just bought the regular i3 a few weeks ago and I’m really liking it. From the reviews out there, it performs as well as the more expensive models despite lacking cameras/LIDAR, it has no problems navigating my 3 bedroom apartment and does a thorough job. I’ll probably buy the clean base one day... I wish they went bagless like shark instead of trying to squeeze a subscription out of you.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2006
105 posts
73 upvotes
Edmonton
congo80 wrote: $545, is this warm? seems still expensive. waiting for BF deal on these robot vacs as we need one.... looking at eufy, roomba, and few others that i forgot the name, lol, keep it coming!!!
Well, all the other retailers have it for $750. I have no idea why it's a $150 cheaper at lowes. I thought about waiting for it on black friday, but I don't think your going to see more then a $150 price drop for a brand new model. My guess is it goes for $600 at other retailers. And as far as the roomba brand, with a self-emptying stand, 600 is a good price. But to be clear, you can't compare a roomba to eufy. I mean you can, but it's like the old android-vrs-apple argument or Microsoft vrs Apple. The roomba is a brand, people pay for it. I went with, because like I mentioned, no-other manufacturer that i can find in canada has tried to tackle the "dog hair wrap" that has plagued my other two vacuums. So for me, for features and value, saving $150+ on a model is a hot deal.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2006
105 posts
73 upvotes
Edmonton
evanwier wrote: LOL so I am not the only one carrying the EUFY around the whole house lmao!!
My afternoon project is watching youtube repair videos for the EUFY and de-furring the thing, maybe giving it at ESP8266 brain. My goaI is to get it back in service, so I can use it on another floor. So yeah, i think we all do that..
Feb 21, 2008
294 posts
91 upvotes
I'm so in the market for a Robot Vacuum, but I am waiting to either get a deal on a Neato or a Roborock -- LIDAR just works.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2006
105 posts
73 upvotes
Edmonton
pererac wrote: this roomba vs the self empty shark?
thoughts?
Interesting. The shark did not hit my list of things to look at. RIght now, it's $399 at Bestbuy. The videos on it are postive, the comments are negative. Honstelly, I think i had actually bothered to look I would at least tried the shark. it does look like it has problems with dog hair and wifi connectivity according to complaints. WIFI is such a hit and miss thing, I can't blame the product. Dog hair? That was my reason to go back to roomba. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Totally missed it - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sh ... k/13836140
[OP]
Dec 16, 2006
105 posts
73 upvotes
Edmonton
Eniac360 wrote: I'm so in the market for a Robot Vacuum, but I am waiting to either get a deal on a Neato or a Roborock -- LIDAR just works.
I looked at the roborock. I think you have to get it from AliExpress? I wanted a canadian retailer. But yes, Roborocks are fantastic. But at the $545 price point, I didn't see any that had the self-empty base. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2006
105 posts
73 upvotes
Edmonton
For folks wondering about the Shark. I guess a lot of users have some problems with it. 'You get what you paid for'. I will caution though. The i3 is a new model. It might be a month old. Irobot has had some problems with the base, and they have also faced their fair share of criticism.
Here is a bit of people talking about the Shark and others:
https://www.reddit.com/r/roomba/comment ... eo_on_the/

The other point with the roborock etc, there is a lot of people that aren't comfortable with china-based-smart-tech in their houses. I haven't wire sharked the roomba cloud connection. I suppose i could.