[Lowe's] Irobot Roomba 960 449$+tax

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2020 10:28 am
[OP]
Jan 8, 2020
31 posts
8 upvotes

[Lowe's] Irobot Roomba 960 449$+tax

Those Roomba 960s are 499$ now in Canadian Tire, bestbuy and Amazon. But if you go to Lowe's and price match there with one of those stores , they would give an additional 10% and the price will come down to 449$+tax.
21 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14830 posts
5969 upvotes
The Roomba people are panicking about the new Shark robot vacuums. They have resorted to suing them. Suddenly $1,300 Roombas have to compete with $280 Shark models that equal them in terms of features and come close in terms of performance.

I think we will see the Roombas continue to drop in price. My $280 Shark blows my parents' Roomba out of the water and the Shark self empties which is a really great feature.

I guess the bottom line of my post is that I most definitely recommend the Shark vacuum from this thread rather than going for the OP's deal.
Dec 13, 2008
201 posts
55 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: The Roomba people are panicking about the new Shark robot vacuums. They have resorted to suing them. Suddenly $1,300 Roombas have to compete with $280 Shark models that equal them in terms of features and come close in terms of performance.

I think we will see the Roombas continue to drop in price. My $280 Shark blows my parents' Roomba out of the water and the Shark self empties which is a really great feature.

I guess the bottom line of my post is that I most definitely recommend the Shark vacuum from this thread rather than going for the OP's deal.
I've read a number of people have returned their Shark vacuums due to improper mapping. However, I do agree that the price point for the Shark is very temping. Hoping youre right about the pressure to drop the price for the iRobot vacs.
I'm just here for the deals....
May 11, 2018
6 posts
7 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: The Roomba people are panicking about the new Shark robot vacuums. They have resorted to suing them. Suddenly $1,300 Roombas have to compete with $280 Shark models that equal them in terms of features and come close in terms of performance.

I have replaced my 880 (water damage, rip) with a shark IQ robot and am very underwhelmed.

The self emptying bin is nice, but everything else is a step down (getting stuck randomly, mapping, cleaning efficiency (the back trap likes to get stuck), spare parts availability..).
I was considering returning it and getting an i7 or i9 - for the bin (I know, not same price range), but decided to keep it, but I would not recommend it to my friends/family.

My next robot will be a Roomba again, that's for sure.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14830 posts
5969 upvotes
blisterd_nuts wrote: I've read a number of people have returned their Shark vacuums due to improper mapping. However, I do agree that the price point for the Shark is very temping. Hoping youre right about the pressure to drop the price for the iRobot vacs.
There are way too many fussy people and also people who don't know what they're doing. You need to keep the lights on and babysit the vacuum for a bit until the mapping is complete. Mine took about a week or two. It works beautifully. It was some hassle to get the thing going; it kept finding socks under my bed and whatnot. Once you get your house fully prepared for this type of product it's a great investment IMO.

The Shark even works fine without the mapping. It's simply more efficient and it works in the dark once the map is properly created.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1694 posts
1086 upvotes
Good to know Lowe's is beating by 10% again.
They stopped it for a while. Looks like they even updated the policy to be more clear on their own banner stores.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14830 posts
5969 upvotes
JayG53946 wrote: I have replaced my 880 (water damage, rip) with a shark IQ robot and am very underwhelmed.

The self emptying bin is nice, but everything else is a step down (getting stuck randomly, mapping, cleaning efficiency (the back trap likes to get stuck), spare parts availability..).
I was considering returning it and getting an i7 or i9 - for the bin (I know, not same price range), but decided to keep it, but I would not recommend it to my friends/family.

My next robot will be a Roomba again, that's for sure.
The back trap on mine has been clogged twice during at least 30-40 runs. Compared to the hassle of emptying the vacuum each time it does a run, I don't mind clearing out the back trap from time to time.

In terms of parts, for $280 taxes in the Shark is basically disposable. Mine has already paid for itself in a couple of months. I would have paid a cleaning service more in terms of the time the vacuum has saved me.

Mine doesn't get stuck randomly.

There is hope that the Shark will get better with future software updates also. It's still a fairly new product and Shark is relatively new to the space.
Aug 23, 2009
165 posts
14 upvotes
Vancouver
What's the biggest difference between i7+ and 960 BESIDES the auto empty feature?

It seems like the 960 has been updated to support imprint technology, so it has support for virtual no go zones and has smart link to the Braava m6 as well. Is sunction power the main difference? I'm debating if I should return my i7+ and buy two 960s instead. The biggest motivation for me to buy the i7+ was the ability to link it with Braava m6, but it seems like 960 is capable of this too.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2006
1037 posts
239 upvotes
Montreal
ntan wrote: It seems like the 960 has been updated to support imprint technology, so it has support for virtual no go zones and has smart link to the Braava m6 as well. Is sunction power the main difference? I'm debating if I should return my i7+ and buy two 960s instead. The biggest motivation for me to buy the i7+ was the ability to link it with Braava m6, but it seems like 960 is capable of this too.
I read that the 960 does not "memorize" the rooms; it simply makes sure that it will not go over the same spot twice.

Does this update adding imprint technology implies that it's now saving/storing the floor maps to be used in the app?
Nov 12, 2019
20 posts
57 upvotes
Xcessiv wrote: I read that the 960 does not "memorize" the rooms; it simply makes sure that it will not go over the same spot twice.
Correct, though you do get a map of what was cleaned after the fact

Xcessiv wrote: Does this update adding imprint technology implies that it's now saving/storing the floor maps to be used in the app?
Cleaning specific rooms is part of iAdapt 3.0 which the i7 has - the 960 has iAdapt 2.0 which unfortunately does not have that ability
Nov 12, 2019
20 posts
57 upvotes
Home Depot also has the 960 (online only) at "regular" price presenting a PM opportunity.

Lowe's refused through online chat to PM to BB, CT, and Amazon due to the Lowe's MFR SKU being R960020 vs just 960 everywhere else. It's a BS excuse from Lowes, but whatever - you should be able to PM in store.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2020
31 posts
8 upvotes
There is not any virtual no zone support in 960 as far as I know. The main difference will be the suction power on the carpets as i7 boost power on carpets. Also i7 uses more advanced mapping technology but I am not sure if it is necessary. And you can add auto empty Bin to i7 if you want later.
Nov 12, 2016
14 posts
1 upvote
Thank you. I purchased with pm at Lowe's today. Went fairly smoothly.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1413 posts
1162 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Roomba and a Shark.

The Shark always makes it back to it's base to charge.. the Roomba gets stuck almost every single time. Roomba likely cleans better, but it's all for not when it can't complete a cycle.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Dec 27, 2006
683 posts
59 upvotes

where did you get the Shark for $280 ?