• Jul 11th, 2020 1:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2013
1508 posts
8576 upvotes
MILTON

[Lowe's] Kobalt 15-Amp 10-in Carbide-Tipped Table Saw for $299.99

• Kobalt 15-amp 10-in table saw comes with a quick-folding rolling stand and a durable 10-in carbide-tipped blade
  • 15-amp motor generates 5,000-RPM for easy completion of jobsite and workshop tasks
  • 30-in right rip capacity and 14-in left rip capacity easily accommodate larger pieces
  • Sliding rip fence locks into place with double latches for accurate cuts every time
  • Locking miter gauge allows for a wide variety of cross, rip, miter and bevel cuts
  • Quick-folding stand with wheels provides portability and convenient storage
  • On-board storage for rip fence, miter gauge, blade guard assembly, push stick, power cord and extra blades keeps items secure when not in use
  • 2.5-in dust collection port conveniently fits a vacuum or dust collector
  • 3-year limited warranty gives you peace of mind
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7571 posts
5736 upvotes
Ottawa
Seems to get decent reviews. I would worry about parts support after the warranty period given that Lowes is phasing out Kobalt in Canada but at this price that would only be one consideration.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7571 posts
5736 upvotes
Ottawa
Nobod87RFD wrote: how does it compare with this one..
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... 1001406353

in need of table saw in next week.. first time buying a table saw.. how is lowe's return policy compared to HD, if i dont like it?
I would give a slight nod to the Ridgid despite its $50 price disadvantage and the lack of a rolling stand. Its lifetime warranty seals the deal.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
5398 posts
4856 upvotes
BC
Nobod87RFD wrote: how does it compare with this one..
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... 1001406353

in need of table saw in next week.. first time buying a table saw.. how is lowe's return policy compared to HD, if i dont like it?
I agree with CaptSmethwick. No one beats Ridgid's lifetime service agreement. The only thing the Kobalt deal really has going for it is the rolling stand. Unless you are moving the saw long distances or can't physically carry it by hand (it's probably around 50-pounds, but should have carrying handles), the Ridgid would be my choice.

Another option if you don't need a stand at all or don't mind paying extra for one, Dewalt and Bosch table saws often go on sale for $300 but do not include stands. The foldable ones similar to the one included with the Ridgid saw in your link are usually around $100 give-or-take. Dewalt and Bosch don't have lifetime warranties, but should be as good or better quality than the Ridgid. They probably won't be on sale by next week though when you are planning on buying one.
Last edited by SizzleChest on Jul 9th, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 3, 2016
208 posts
126 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks for the comments.. will go with ridgid if there is no sale on DeWalt.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1300 posts
807 upvotes
Vancouver
The Kobalt saw is a slightly updated version of the kt-1015, which is a rebranded Delta saw.

I have the KT-1015, and think it's a great saw for the price. It used to go on sale for $200-$225.

Note lots of people complain about the fence, but there's a hack that makes it work similar to the DeWalt gear and pinion fence.
Jun 28, 2015
464 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dumb question: A 110V wall socket provides a max of 15A. Does that mean this thing could keep tripping the breaker if the power draw varies a little bit or if the circuit isn't the greatest?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1300 posts
807 upvotes
Vancouver
mhall1 wrote: Dumb question: A 110V wall socket provides a max of 15A. Does that mean this thing could keep tripping the breaker if the power draw varies a little bit or if the circuit isn't the greatest?
The speed a breaker trips, depends on the magnitude of overcurrent. At 15amps, it'll take the breaker about 1hr to trip. A short circuit will make the breaker trip instantly.

Continuous duty devices are allowed to draw upto 80% of 15amps. Intermittent devices are allowed to draw up to 15amps. I believe the table saw is allowed to draw 15amps because it's expected that no one will run it for an hour straight.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9470 posts
1604 upvotes
For $300 I would say this deal is just 'ok'. The Rigid for $350 will be better imho just because of the much better fence system and of course the warranty. I have the previous model of this saw I honestly don't think they have corrected much of any of the flaws. I got mine like 8yrs ago for about $180 if I recall. It's been quite durable and I do use my table saw quite often. Again though this is the previous model, not the current model for sale.

If you decide you want to buy it know these pros and cons.

Pros
1. folds up pretty well and easily movable to job sites or for storage, also very light
2. cheap... very cheap for a folding table saw with wheels
3. plenty of power to rip most common woods
4. safety switch is a nice touch and nice power cable length and gauge

Cons
1. fence is garbage, best to set it aligned then move it with the right side table extender
2. horrible dust collection, but this is a job site saw so portability is more of concern than dust collection
3. clearance plate is so damn thin it's very difficult to make a zero clearance insert (for safety reason). I could make a dewalt clearance plate in like 10mins... this Kobalt will take me like 1hr or more to make one.
4. rear support is horrible and not very stable at all, best to modify to suite your needs.

I have the previous model and heavily modified it where it isn't so bad any more.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1154 posts
472 upvotes
Turbanville
Good deal price wise. I have been using this since last 4 years, Worst fence ever, requires adjustments from front and back, hard to get equal setting for front and rear. Please check out display unit before buying.
"Beer"
The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
"SMART" People always makes SMART Choice..!!!!!
Apr 1, 2005
384 posts
376 upvotes
turbo_slug wrote: The Kobalt saw is a slightly updated version of the kt-1015, which is a rebranded Delta saw.

I have the KT-1015, and think it's a great saw for the price. It used to go on sale for $200-$225.

Note lots of people complain about the fence, but there's a hack that makes it work similar to the DeWalt gear and pinion fence.
Hey there, I have KT1015 and I'm quite frustrated with the fence. I always have to roll up the blade to align the fence...Can you tell me about the hack?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9470 posts
1604 upvotes
I'm not sure about the "hack" but easiest is to line up the fence to the mitre slot... lock it down... then use the right side table extender to move the fence left/right to where you need it. I've been doing that since day1 since i got it. It's pretty quick and easy to get precise cuts.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1300 posts
807 upvotes
Vancouver
jac762 wrote: Hey there, I have KT1015 and I'm quite frustrated with the fence. I always have to roll up the blade to align the fence...Can you tell me about the hack?
The trick is to square the fence to the table, lock it to the extension table slide, then slide the extension table to adjust the fence. There are lots of people on YouTube that will show you this but most seem to make a mess of the part where you square the fence to the table. To make it quick and simple, I drop a piece of scrap c-channel aluminum into the mitre slot, then I just slide the fence against the aluminum. No need to make measurements. I also use the c channel aluminum to square the fence to the edge of the table. Note the jig doesn't have to be c-channel aluminum. I think some people cut precise pieces of MDF that they use for squaring the fence.

Btw, I read the new kt10152's fence is actually worse than the original because it doesn't take much to bump it out of alignment. The old one didn't have this problem because it had front and rear clamps that stayed put once it's locked.