[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3814 posts
1109 upvotes
Ottawa

[Lowe's] Kobalt 21" 80v cordless elec mower $499

Two 80v batteries and charger included

We bought this model two years ago on a similar deal (on sale and no tax) and we are thrilled with it. One battery pack runs about 30 mins - more than enough to charge the second battery (our lot is a hectare although not all grass). We also bought the (bare tool) Kobalt 80v leaf blower and we are as happy with it. This is our second battery-powered mower and this one is light years better than the old 36v Black & Decker unit it replaced. The Kobalt gets great reviews and my personal endorsement after two years of use.

Update Aug 12th SEEMS TO BE OUT OF STOCK. NOW AN EXPIRED DEAL

Update Aug 14th Some stores have been restocked. This deal is still valid. And "Friends" promo code is still good for an extra 10% off
Last edited by CaptSmethwick on Aug 14th, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
97 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2009
1247 posts
542 upvotes
Calgary
I'd be all over this if it was self-propelled. My backyard is hilly AF and I'm too scrawny.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2581 posts
1115 upvotes
West Coast
.fess wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 2:57 pm
I'd be all over this if it was self-propelled. My backyard is hilly AF and I'm too scrawny.
That's likely slash your run time by a large margin. Helpful for sure, especially in your situation, but not sure how much battery life you'd lose.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Apr 3, 2018
143 posts
95 upvotes
What a ridiculous price. Who would pay over $500 for a push mower?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1982 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
I would google Kobalt and how Lowes is discontinuing the brand. Some people (I guess in the US) reporting warranty is not being honoured or replacement parts not being made anymore as they move towards Craftsman.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3814 posts
1109 upvotes
Ottawa
theposter wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 3:20 pm
What a ridiculous price. Who would pay over $500 for a push mower?
My wife. She hates gas mowers - she just can't stand when they don't start easily. And forget about pulling a cord to get one started or lugging a gerry can of gas to refill one or the noise - it's just not for her (and she is the stay-at-home partner and insists on doing the yardwork - lucky me).

This unit has the performance of a gas mower without those downsides. And, yes, you have to pay a steep price for a good cordless mower with the features this one has. We paid a little less than this sale price but this is a good price for this mower.
Jan 2, 2009
337 posts
74 upvotes
Awesome lawn mower. Wish they had the 80V cultivator in Canada!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3814 posts
1109 upvotes
Ottawa
esq05 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 4:41 pm
I would google Kobalt and how Lowes is discontinuing the brand. Some people (I guess in the US) reporting warranty is not being honoured or replacement parts not being made anymore as they move towards Craftsman.
It's true that there is some uncertainty given Lowe's announcement to carry Craftsman tools. While Lowe's has phased in Craftsman hand tools and power tools, Kobalt remains a Lowe's home brand - which they may or may not remain committed to for outdoor equipment. So far, they say they are committed to the brand. Still, it's enough of a change to doubt their long term plans for the Kobalt brand.

That being said, given the turmoil in the tool industry over the last number of years, there are not many brands that you are truly safe with in terms of long term parts support. And when we're talking about early days of higher voltage Li-ion cordless tools, I expect that most of this tech will be obsolete in about 10 years - everything may be reparable but I expect that new products and tech will make repairs less attractive.

As far as this mower goes, it is made under contract to Lowe's but the tech in it is identical to the Greenworks 80v system (which is also a great cordless mower) . That increases the likelihood of being able to find compatible parts in the future.
Jan 8, 2018
6 posts
2 upvotes
I bought the 16 inch mower, blower and trimmer combo with 2x40v batteries all for $399 plus tax back in May. It works pretty well for my lot size. I live in a subdivision.
Oct 17, 2010
104 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
Same as OP, bought this two years ago and absolutely love it. The variable speed motor that ramps up and down based on resistance helps give you power when you need it and save battery when you don't.

The price gets a LOT more interesting if there's another $100 80V cordless snowblower end-of-season sell off (but without battery), like we got a few months ago.
Jun 18, 2017
111 posts
62 upvotes
Save the tax this weekend too so drops it down to $541 and change in Alberta all in
Oct 19, 2013
32 posts
29 upvotes
Stittsville, ON
The price is now $499.00 and still no tax and free shipping.