Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Lowe's : Kobalt 7-1/4-in 9-Amp Sliding Laser Compound mitre saw $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2015 4:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 9, 2009
495 posts
556 upvotes
Calgary

Lowe's : Kobalt 7-1/4-in 9-Amp Sliding Laser Compound mitre saw $99.99

$60 off until July 8th

Pretty good price for a sliding mitre saw and the reviews seem to be pretty decent as well.
I will be picking up this saw for a deck project of mine.

http://www.lowes.ca/chop-saws-miter-saw ... uctSlot=11
20 replies
Oct 11, 2004
845 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
I have this saw, think I got it for $69 at one point. It works well but won't cut all the way through a 4x4 without having to turn it and make multiple cuts
Mar 11, 2006
125 posts
15 upvotes
me too, I remember I paid less than 99$ last year
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3598 posts
1681 upvotes
'Shwallywood
Phlav wrote: $60 off until July 8th

Pretty good price for a sliding mitre saw and the reviews seem to be pretty decent as well.
I will be picking up this saw for a deck project of mine.

http://www.lowes.ca/chop-saws-miter-saw ... uctSlot=11
save your money, you could do 2 deckboard tops on this thing, you're probably better off with a speed/rafter square and a circular saw you are already going to use on the 4x4 posts
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1211 posts
691 upvotes
Victoria
Great little saw; as mentioned above it has been cheaper before but is still worth it at this price point if you need an inexpensive solution to cut deck board, 2x4, 2x6, laminate flooring etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2005
1179 posts
114 upvotes
Brampton
Don't cheap out on tools. Get yourself a 10" slider from a reputable brand, it'll last you a lifetime.

And, you can cut a 4 x 4 with no issues.

Just my two cents..
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2434 posts
1460 upvotes
Ive got this, grabbed it last fall for $75, has worked great for the household stuff Ive done so far. Great for trim work. Why spend $299 when $75-99 works just fine for some folks? not building the Ark here...Been told to buy a higher quality blade as this one wont last a super long time.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18504 posts
13295 upvotes
Markham
If you're a DIY'er and you don't do a lot of DIY'ing, don't see the purpose of overspending and getting a Cadillac saw like some are saying.

I think I saw BOGO Diablo blade at Home Depot (Hwy 7) for under $15....I bought this blade for my circular saw and it's great.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/freud-d ... ogo/941420
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1826 posts
909 upvotes
I would also be a little bit wary of 7 1/4" saw blades. If you just need this for a one-off project or you DIY so infrequently that you don't mind working around the limitations, then great, this could be a good deal. But once you have a tool, you start to find more and more uses for it -- will you soon curse yourself for not buying a 10" saw?

Consider that a 7 1/4" sliding saw can do a max 8" crosscut, and it won't do anything thicker than about 2x8. A 10" non-sliding saw can do almost as wide a cut and can handle the thickness of a 4x4, and not having a sliding mechanism means that the 10" saw is actually going to be smaller and have less play involved which could potentially reduce the accuracy of your cuts. A nice DeWalt 10" saw costs about $199, and you can obviously get cheaper brands for less, even some approaching the same $99 price point.

Having said that, even though I own and love my 10" DeWalt, I have started to wonder if I should upgrade to a 12". There's always that one thing you want to cut that's just a bit too wide...
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26864 posts
11315 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I have been eying this saw since last year, the cheapest i saw was $79. I wish the 10in sliding would hit the same sale prices as this one but its unlikely.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
1295 posts
526 upvotes
Hamilton
The biggest problem I found with the cheap saws is the mitre angle adjustment can walk a few millimeters which can lead to many degrees off, if you need accurate cuts I would go with the dewalt, its the only one that locks in solid.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5114 posts
2848 upvotes
GTA
Quentin5 wrote: I have been eying this saw since last year, the cheapest i saw was $79. I wish the 10in sliding would hit the same sale prices as this one but its unlikely.
It was $69 with the $10 online signup discount last year. Rona also had a 10" sliding saw a few weeks ago, matrix brand.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26864 posts
11315 upvotes
Socially Distanced
shabby wrote: It was $69 with the $10 online signup discount last year. Rona also had a 10" sliding saw a few weeks ago, matrix brand.
So we are talking about the same lowes deal then (i didn't include e-mail signup discount), how much was this rona model and was it sliding?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Jul 29, 2008
200 posts
189 upvotes
I'm always wondering why manufacturers bother to make cheap subpar tools like this and waste people's time and money.

If the price is the only attracting factor, I'd recommend you buy a decent second hand circular saw and throw in a good framing blade such as Diablo, CMT or Dewalt. This costs less, cuts equal or better, has equal accuracy, and is more flexible.

If you are into a light weight sliding mitre saw, look at Makita's 7 1/4 slider. Or go with Bosch or Makita's 8 1/2 sliders, which give you 12" cross cut capacity. For sure they cost 4 times as this cheap tool. But if that's out of your budget, look at my recommendation above.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10099 posts
8116 upvotes
Kootenays
jeffgao wrote: I'm always wondering why manufacturers bother to make cheap subpar tools like this and waste people's time and money.

If the price is the only attracting factor, I'd recommend you buy a decent second hand circular saw and throw in a good framing blade such as Diablo, CMT or Dewalt. This costs less, cuts equal or better, has equal accuracy, and is more flexible.

If you are into a light weight sliding mitre saw, look at Makita's 7 1/4 slider. Or go with Bosch or Makita's 8 1/2 sliders, which give you 12" cross cut capacity. For sure they cost 4 times as this cheap tool. But if that's out of your budget, look at my recommendation above.
I bought this saw last time and am quite happy with it. I have a decent Makita mitre saw, but wanted the sliding feature for wider boards. I have a small resort and have to replace 6" deck boards on a fairly regular basis, but don't do construction. Based on the reviews, I thought I'd take a chance. Guess what? It fits the bill nicely! I don't want the weight or space requirements of a 10" or 12" slider. I've got my cubby that it stays in and I can schlep it out very easily when needed. It was not much money, well spent.
Apr 12, 2008
661 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
smacd wrote: I bought this saw last time and am quite happy with it. I have a decent Makita mitre saw, but wanted the sliding feature for wider boards. I have a small resort and have to replace 6" deck boards on a fairly regular basis, but don't do construction. Based on the reviews, I thought I'd take a chance. Guess what? It fits the bill nicely! I don't want the weight or space requirements of a 10" or 12" slider. I've got my cubby the it stays in and I can schlep it out very easily when needed. It was not much money, well spent.
+1. For $60 bills it does what I need it to do - stores nicely in the shed and helps me with small jobs around the house.
Jul 29, 2008
200 posts
189 upvotes
smacd wrote: I bought this saw last time and am quite happy with it. I have a decent Makita mitre saw, but wanted the sliding feature for wider boards. I have a small resort and have to replace 6" deck boards on a fairly regular basis, but don't do construction. Based on the reviews, I thought I'd take a chance. Guess what? It fits the bill nicely! I don't want the weight or space requirements of a 10" or 12" slider. I've got my cubby the it stays in and I can schlep it out very easily when needed. It was not much money, well spent.
Fair enough. This does seem to fit your needs well.

For me, I went with Bosch CM8S, at $300 when it was on sale last month at Amazon.ca. It is a lightweight 8 1/2 sliding mitre saw, so it is not heavy and it takes less space than 10" or 12" saws. But at the same time it can handle 2x12. Also it is very precise to do any kind of fine finishing work. To me, quality tools like the Bosch are the best deals to me because I know it would be a dispensable tool that can last for years in the widest range of projects I can think of. Lastly, don't forget that the happiness and time savings from working with a top quality tool isn't easily measurable by money.
Aug 12, 2010
240 posts
54 upvotes
NCR - RCN
Nice price for such a saw... I thought I got a good price when I paid 599$ for the Bosch GCM12SD saw

Looking at picture #2 on lowes I thought it came with the roll on/off table! If it did, I'd pay 100$ to get the table and resell the saw! :D

Couldn't find that stand, does anyone know the model #? All I found was this one (which isnt the same):

http://www.lowes.ca/work-benches-tables ... uctSlot=30
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3177 posts
1761 upvotes
smacd wrote: I bought this saw last time and am quite happy with it. I have a decent Makita mitre saw, but wanted the sliding feature for wider boards. I have a small resort and have to replace 6" deck boards on a fairly regular basis, but don't do construction.
non-sliding 10in mitre saw can cut 6in boards without problem. And some 10in mitre saws are also very small like the hitachi. But if it fits your needs then it's great for you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)