[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3892 posts
371 upvotes
Georgetown

[Lowe's] Kobalt lawn mower (40V battery) - $399

https://www.lowes.ca/product/cordless-e ... ry-1171896

Not sure if this is a great deal, or just "good". Billed as a clearance sale at $200 off... but they had no stock showing online in stores the day it started and all stores seem to have plenty of stock now. Paying a couple hundred++ more for a higher voltage mower (58V, 60V, 80V, etc) is a big gap in price... so... ?
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 17th, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added a retailer
19 replies
May 12, 2004
808 posts
100 upvotes
I'm an owner of Kobalt 40v lawn mower for last few years. I like it for my small yard. The problem I have is battery and lack of availability within Canada Lowes. We Canadians get shafted on Kobalt tools and related accessories. My existing 2Ah battery has half cells dead and I only have 1 4Ah battery in good condition to share between my mower and leaf blower. Lowes Canada has non-existent stock for anything larger than 2Ah and have to travel to US store to get one. You want a 4Ah+ battery for the mower as 2Ah just doesn't last. Unrelated to mower, but I also find 2Ah makes my leaf blower output lower as well.

Basically you want multiple batteries of 4Ah+ and Lowes Canada doesn't have it.
Sep 25, 2014
38 posts
29 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I bought a Kobalt self propelled mower and a trimmer last year - bought a place and ended up needing it late summer so I got a good deal. I used it 3-4 times before the battery crapped out but thought oh well, there's a 3 year guarantee so I'll just get it replaced before spring - big mistake. I should've returned the product within the 3-month return window, but I was busy and I got a good deal, so whatever.

I emailed Lowes in mid-to-late March, asking about how to collect on the Warranty. I was advised that they were experiencing higher than normal call volumes - fine. A week later, I messaged again - same response. I called Kobalt - US line because Canada doesn't have a Kobalt division - and was advised that if i brought it into the location I bought the product, the retailer would switch the product, no questions asked.

I called Lowes to make sure this was true - no one could provide an answer. After 2 hours and being bounced around, I decided to go in and talk with them. I go in, speak with three different people, each calling someone else who might know - none did - before the final guy says that Lowes doesn't deal with the warranties, even though Kobalt is a subsidiary of Lowes, even though the subsidiary said the retailer (I believe Kobalt solely distributes through Lowes) would honour the warranty, and even though the PDF document regarding warranties on the Kobalt website says same. So they tell me that they need clearance from an even higher manager. Three days later, I get a call saying that the manager approved the exchange - though they discontinued the battery and they don't have stock, but someone returned a Kobalt product where the product didn't work but the battery did, so I could have the battery. All the while reminding me that this was an extraordinary circumstance, and I would have difficulty in the future getting a battery.

Battery works, but it took two months, lots of phone calls, lots of emails, and two trips to Lowes. I regret buying Kobalt.

More than two months after my initial email to Lowes, after I have my "new" battery, I get an email from Lowes telling me that all warranties go through the manufacturer.

tl;dr: battery sucks, warranty sucks, don't buy Kobalt, don't buy from Lowes (unless you get a hot deal - LOL)
Nov 6, 2009
926 posts
176 upvotes
Agreed with @sammysoft don’t buy from lowes.
I picked up 80v version of mower, blower and trimmer.
Blower is tool only and I paid around 100, so good deal.
Trimmer i paid about 180 with battery and charger, good deal but the trimmer is heavy and bulky, rather have something more slim, so not a great trimmer for average household lawn.
Mower I got that push version, it was sealed box and when I opened the box few months later (I was using my old mower all this time) I found a used/returned unit as there was grass in mower and box, not small amount of grass, a good 4/5 tea cups worth.
I complained to online customer service and they gave me $100 credit, so the mower turned out to be $300.
It’s just painful to deal with lowes, at 2 other occasions where I didn’t pick up my other orders for couple weeks, but when I went to finally pickup, per Lowe’s my order was already picked up by my clone, go figure it out.
And now the kobalt line discontinued, it’s not worth buying these units.
Nov 27, 2011
35 posts
32 upvotes
I like my 40V Kobalt Mower, I'm 2 years with it, and the battery holds up for my yard twice (50 X 100' property). I got it on an extremely good end of season clearance sale otherwise I likely would have gone with a Ryobi branded as I really like their tools and platform.
Aug 27, 2008
80 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Tennoh wrote: I'm an owner of Kobalt 40v lawn mower for last few years. I like it for my small yard. The problem I have is battery and lack of availability within Canada Lowes. We Canadians get shafted on Kobalt tools and related accessories. My existing 2Ah battery has half cells dead and I only have 1 4Ah battery in good condition to share between my mower and leaf blower. Lowes Canada has non-existent stock for anything larger than 2Ah and have to travel to US store to get one. You want a 4Ah+ battery for the mower as 2Ah just doesn't last. Unrelated to mower, but I also find 2Ah makes my leaf blower output lower as well.

I ran into this, kobalt mower is rebranded greenworks so you can get a battery straight from the manufacturer. I think it was slightly cheaper than Lowes prices too (this was a year ago) . I ended up not going with it out of spite for Lowes and their handling of kobalt. I plan to dump it and buy something else when I see a decent sale.
Hi Steven,

I am contacting you regarding your request to purchase a battery for your lawn mower.

If you were looking to get the 5.0ah battery, it will be $145CAD including shipping

If you wish to proceed with this order, give us a call at 1-888-909-6757

Our hours of operation are Monday through Thursday 9am to 6pm EST, and Friday 9am to 5pm EST

Thank you,

Jessica S | Customer Service Representative – Canada

Greenworks Tools Canada Inc.

TF: 1-877-888-3872
Apr 30, 2012
6 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
AVOID Lowes. I called into their customer service hotline. After waiting for about 20 minutes I get through and proceed to ask the service representative about placing an order. I guess she wanted to verify something and asked if she could place me on hold to which I obliged. I was working on the side so I left the phone on speaker. After a couple of hours I came to the conclusion she wasn't coming back. She probably went home. Lowes is the worst.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2008
1215 posts
210 upvotes
Tennoh wrote: I'm an owner of Kobalt 40v lawn mower for last few years. I like it for my small yard. The problem I have is battery and lack of availability within Canada Lowes. We Canadians get shafted on Kobalt tools and related accessories. My existing 2Ah battery has half cells dead and I only have 1 4Ah battery in good condition to share between my mower and leaf blower. Lowes Canada has non-existent stock for anything larger than 2Ah and have to travel to US store to get one. You want a 4Ah+ battery for the mower as 2Ah just doesn't last. Unrelated to mower, but I also find 2Ah makes my leaf blower output lower as well.

I bought the trimmer and mower as well couple years back. This year 4Ah battery dead. Called Lowe’s....after 1.5 hours on phone they had me send pic of date and I got the replacement. I am going to call and have them replace the 2ah as well so I have a spare. I agree..I could not even find a kobalt 4Ah battery to buy when I was looking which is not good for the longevity of the product...check to see if mfg date is less than 3 yrs on your batteries.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
4520 posts
613 upvotes
I've had the Kobalt 40V mower from Lowe's for 4 or 5 years. Battery life still great, still going strong.
Aug 27, 2008
80 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
jblade44 wrote: I bought the trimmer and mower as well couple years back. This year 4Ah battery dead. Called Lowe’s....after 1.5 hours on phone they had me send pic of date and I got the replacement. I am going to call and have them replace the 2ah as well so I have a spare. I agree..I could not even find a kobalt 4Ah battery to buy when I was looking which is not good for the longevity of the product...check to see if mfg date is less than 3 yrs on your batteries.
Store the batteries inside during the winter. Temperature drops kill the life.
Feb 1, 2013
116 posts
154 upvotes
Ottawa
Store the batteries inside during the winter. Temperature drops kill the life.
Should be storing the batteries inside the fridge at 40 to 60 percent battery life if you want longevity since these are lithium ion batteries
Aug 15, 2009
778 posts
505 upvotes
Montreal
aseikin403 wrote: I ran into this, kobalt mower is rebranded greenworks so you can get a battery straight from the manufacturer. I think it was slightly cheaper than Lowes prices too (this was a year ago) . I ended up not going with it out of spite for Lowes and their handling of kobalt. I plan to dump it and buy something else when I see a decent sale.
So just drop a call to Greenworks and you can buy a brand new battery through the rep. If it's the case, I'll call them and see what they say.

Thanks for the tip.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5671 posts
1227 upvotes
CT has the Greenworks 60v push mower for the same price. With the 4Ah battery, I managed to mow the front and back, roughly 2500 sqft. It's been a month since I mowed the back so it was 6-8" in height but the mower didn't bog except on the parts with aspen shoots and 10" grass. Unfortunately, the blade doesn't seem to be that great of a quality since it's already chipped with mowing over the aspen shoots. Time to look for 17" blades.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」