[Lowe's] Kreg Jig K4 $110.50 + FS (today only) + $15 rebate

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2019 4:06 am
[OP]
Aug 19, 2002
391 posts
121 upvotes

[Lowe's] Kreg Jig K4 $110.50 + FS (today only) + $15 rebate

The Kreg jig K4 is at Lowe's until Dec 16 using promo code SAVEMORE to get 15% off any order over $100, for a discount of $19.50 bringing the total before taxes to $110.50.

It also qualifies for free shipping from Lowe's today only (Dec 14). Total for me was $123.77 after free shipping and taxes before rebate.

There is a $15 USD rebate through Kreg but I'm not sure this item would qualify; the online submission page specifically mentions that purchases from Lowe's need to go through a Lowe's page instead. However, the mail in rebate form doesn't make any mention of Lowe's specifically at all.

There is also a $15 CDN rebate from Lowe's on this item, but it's in the form of a Lowe's gift card.

Note: this is not the master kit with the clamp and the dust collection attachment, if you need the clamp it's $27.50 at Amazon.

I already have the Heavy Duty and Mini kreg jigs which I've used a lot more than I thought I would. I have a project coming up next summer where the K4 will be more appropriate than the fidgety little mini so I've been watching for a decent sale.

If you haven't used these jigs before, I recommend using a corded drill or a cordless with some oomph; my beloved old 7v Makita struggles to drill more than a few holes (especially in 2x lumber with the HD jig). My corded Makita drills the holes with ease, though.
25 replies
May 22, 2008
20 posts
1 upvote
Hi, where did you buy the screws for these? Amazon? 675 pcs for $32. Is that a good price?
[OP]
Aug 19, 2002
391 posts
121 upvotes
True, but it's worth reading the negative reviews of the milescraft. According to some reviews it uses a cheaper plastic that is prone to flexing, making it imprecise, and also to melting from the heat of drilling. Which is something my kreg jig HD has never done, even when the bushings have become very hot from lots of drilling.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2002
391 posts
121 upvotes
In the past have bought the screws from Amazon or from Lee Valley depending on the price at the time. There are also compatible screws at primecables (technically, living.ca) for even less, I think they were mentioned in the thread raskal linked above.

One thing to keep in mind is the length of screw you will need varies based on the thickness of the material you are joining, so it's good to double-check that before placing a large order.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3337 posts
2848 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
Writer wrote:
Dec 14th, 2019 7:49 pm
True, but it's worth reading the negative reviews of the milescraft. According to some reviews it uses a cheaper plastic that is prone to flexing, making it imprecise, and also to melting from the heat of drilling. Which is something my kreg jig HD has never done, even when the bushings have become very hot from lots of drilling.
by no means was I suggesting the Milescraft was anywhere near the quality of the Kreg.
People need to make their own determination of whether $110 of tool is what they need.
If you aren't doing lots of pocket holes, the Milescraft might be enough
shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Nov 14, 2006
186 posts
196 upvotes
Montreal
My Kreg R3 jr kit starts to wobble/walk under vibration from use. The angled holes are looking chippy on the sides. So this kit could be a good upgrade. However, I am not able to figure why Lee Valley Kreg K4 kit comes with no clamp but vacuum adaptor? See link below.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... t-hole-jig

OP, would you be able to confirm what’s in the Lowe’s K4 kit?
[OP]
Aug 19, 2002
391 posts
121 upvotes
raskal wrote:
Dec 14th, 2019 8:03 pm
by no means was I suggesting the Milescraft was anywhere near the quality of the Kreg.
People need to make their own determination of whether $110 of tool is what they need.
If you aren't doing lots of pocket holes, the Milescraft might be enough
Totally agree. :) I've made do with the little Kreg Jig Mini instead of buying the K4 for several years...if I'd seen the milescraft vesion at the time I probably would have tried that first.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2002
391 posts
121 upvotes
cchenzz wrote:
Dec 14th, 2019 8:12 pm
My Kreg R3 jr kit starts to wobble/walk under vibration from use. The angled holes are looking chippy on the sides. So this kit could be a good upgrade. However, I am not able to figure why Lee Valley Kreg K4 kit comes with no clamp but vacuum adaptor? See link below.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... t-hole-jig

OP, would you be able to confirm what’s in the Lowe’s K4 kit?
Unfortunately not -- I chose to have it shipped rather than pick it up at the store so I can't confirm the contents yet. I was actually wondering the same thing about the vacuum adapter.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2002
391 posts
121 upvotes
DavidG88021 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2019 1:12 pm
any other uses than cabinet making?
Furniture and cabinet making is a big use for sure. Pocket holes can be handy for some other things as well; I used them to mount the brackets for some towel bars I made, where it wasn't possible to drive a screw directly. (Although if I were to do that project over I might attempt a hidden two-part mounting bracket, but I'm the only one who notices the pocket hole is even there.)

I also built a cedar shed using the HD jig. It worked really well.
Jun 6, 2019
39 posts
64 upvotes
Writer wrote:
Dec 15th, 2019 4:27 pm
I also built a cedar shed using the HD jig. It worked really well.
any feedback on wood shrinkage? manufacturer instructions say use HD jig only for engineered wood that does not shrink.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2002
391 posts
121 upvotes
desstiny wrote:
Dec 15th, 2019 5:29 pm
any feedback on wood shrinkage? manufacturer instructions say use HD jig only for engineered wood that does not shrink.
Hmmm, I don't recall ever seeing that in the instructions. I couldn't find anything about that on the Kreg site or in the NA manual for the HD jig just now. They clearly show and mention it being used with 2x lumber specifically.

I haven't noticed any issues with the joints though after several years -- although I have run into an issue with frost heaving causing the door panels to stick in the winter, I didn't allow enough room for that under the door (I was trying to keep the gaps tight to keep critters out, and didn't want a deep sill to step across), but that isn't anything to do with the joinery.

I'm far from an experienced woodworker, but I tried to read up while I was working on the design...and so I tried to take wood movement into account (in how I arranged studs while framing, etc.).

I will say that cedar from Home Depot and Rona tends to move a lot...unlike the cladding boards I got from a local specialized supplier that started true and stayed that way. If I were to do it over again I would have sourced all my material from them despite the added cost.

I heavily overengineered the shed in general, though; I was concerned about the potential for heavy water loads due to a living roof (essentially a shallow dirt box on top).

I had some initial concern about using screws vs. nails, but the Kreg HD screws are quite beastly and I don't see why they wouldn't hold up to sideloads as well as the SS nails I would have used instead.