• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2019 12:03 pm
Jul 22, 2009
262 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
BowlofSoup wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 8:22 pm
So tempting. Should I get this or the other Schlage deadbolt from the other thread? Thanks.
1000% get the Schlage. I bought two Schlage for my house ( front and back) and got this kwik set for my garage to say some cash. Never had problem with the Schlage, even in the -30 weather we had this winter.

Kwikset keypad was hard to program, not smart phone or smart home compatibility and struggled a bit more in winter. Keep in mind - garage is not heated like house so not an exact comparison.
Its nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
Jul 22, 2009
262 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
I have one of these will sell for $30. Used for one season, but as per my previous comment I bought another Sclage for my garage. Dont need this one now.
Its nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
Nov 1, 2001
461 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
tunda11 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 3:28 am
Any modification to the door required?
depends on your current lock. i had to widen the holes and move the part for the deadbolt.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2702 posts
1498 upvotes
GTA
Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes these were screaming " trendy" 15 years ago. Good to see they aged well, so there is still market for them. But I guarantee people buying them today are over 50. They jump on this deal, because they remember paying $200 for electronic deadbolt set 15 years ago Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Feb 26, 2011
512 posts
430 upvotes
Calgary
xmdkx4u2nv wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 9:12 am
1000% get the Schlage. I bought two Schlage for my house ( front and back) and got this kwik set for my garage to say some cash. Never had problem with the Schlage, even in the -30 weather we had this winter.

Kwikset keypad was hard to program, not smart phone or smart home compatibility and struggled a bit more in winter. Keep in mind - garage is not heated like house so not an exact comparison.
Misleading post. The BE365 Schlage is also not smart.

But I do also recommend it over this one (I have 3 of them). Reference previous thread
jwslam wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:34 am
I use one of these myself. I prefer it because:
-The locking mechanism is not electronic; you key in the code and turn the deadbolt itself
-Battery lasts 2+ years so far for me

Downsides:
-Not DIY re-keyable like the Weisers
-Requires 2 1/8" hole. I had 1 1/2" (Weiser sized) and had to call a locksmith to make it bigger
Jul 22, 2007
312 posts
49 upvotes
Quick thing to point out, the kwikset is ANSI 3 security rating, intended for not main entrance.

The Schlage is ANSI 2.

I am looking for a good ANSI 2 for under 100.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
10894 posts
2486 upvotes
xmdkx4u2nv wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 9:12 am

We have a Schlage on our back door, in fact, the model mentioned here (not a smart lock), works great for about 10-11 months of the year, when it gets too cold, the spring mechanism inside slips, so it doesn't push the pins all the way to engage the turning part, very common problem, fix videos and discussion on youtube, etc... was able to repair it easily following the video in about 10 minutes, but next really cold snap and it slipped again, be sure you have a spare key on your keyring or hidden, or you're out of luck if it doesn't engage.

We used to have the Weiser power lock that actually unlocked, but I prefer these types where the knob is engaged to the deadbolt, instead of having a motor to drive the deadbolt, batteries last much longer, interior portion looks much nicer.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.