Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowe's

Lowes.ca: [HOT]Stinger Outdoor Cordless Rechargeable Bug Zapper - $28.80 - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2019 9:53 pm
Aug 26, 2005
411 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto

[Lowe's] Lowes.ca: [HOT]Stinger Outdoor Cordless Rechargeable Bug Zapper - $28.80 - YMMV

Found this on through Lowes.ca. This is the lowest price I've seen, the reviews are mixed. It's in stock in several locations at the moment.
30 replies
Nov 19, 2012
505 posts
370 upvotes
Going to try my luck with this. Major mosquito where I live. Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
1289 posts
463 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks got one for the mrs to hang on her shorts
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2008
1126 posts
1793 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
FYI, these don't work for female mosquitoes - the only ones that bite. They aren't attracted to the UV light, and the tiny scent pack included in some models isn't strong enough to attract them at any significant distance.

You'll still hear zapping all night though as other non-biting insects fly into it. Waste of money if you're looking to kill off mosquitoes or black flies. Don't take my word for it though, do a little research. You'll find plenty of science on the side of them not being effective, and plenty of marketing on the other side.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3097 posts
2399 upvotes
50 cent mosquitoes trap that actually works:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.wikihow. ... %3Famp%3D1
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
That link makes it sound like there is no way to control them other then spraying. (Was this funded by a commercial spraying lobby ;))

They didnt talk about the smelly lures that get put in these to draw the mosquitos. Unless I missed it
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2654 posts
1789 upvotes
Edmonton
Yeah, but there’s nothing quite as red neck as sitting on the deck with a beer at sunset, watching the bug zapper.......
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Addict
May 20, 2009
1524 posts
1167 upvotes
Mississauga
keyser-soze wrote: That link makes it sound like there is no way to control them other then spraying. (Was this funded by a commercial spraying lobby ;))

They didnt talk about the smelly lures that get put in these to draw the mosquitoes. Unless I missed it
This pretty much make sense to me.
I am going to order a couple and see how it goes.
Mosquitoes are killing me.
PM $13/30 days, 250MB, 100Min with unlimited incoming/30d
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2005
1667 posts
1590 upvotes
Canada's South Coast
brghunter wrote: FYI, these don't work for female mosquitoes - the only ones that bite. They aren't attracted to the UV light, and the tiny scent pack included in some models isn't strong enough to attract them at any significant distance.

You'll still hear zapping all night though as other non-biting insects fly into it. Waste of money if you're looking to kill off mosquitoes or black flies. Don't take my word for it though, do a little research. You'll find plenty of science on the side of them not being effective, and plenty of marketing on the other side.
Excellent points brghunter...… not only do these UV death chambers not target the biting mosquitoes, they also kill harmless insects for no reason making for nothing more than a "light show" of sparks and zapping. Killing all these harmless insects takes away food supply from birds and so many other living things that rely on those harmless insects. They basically kill the harmless insects and don't target the actual culprits!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
Dammit, all I ask is a fun, entertaining, and effective way to make extinct all mosquitoes that target my living area.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1172 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
brghunter wrote: FYI, these don't work for female mosquitoes - the only ones that bite. They aren't attracted to the UV light, and the tiny scent pack included in some models isn't strong enough to attract them at any significant distance.

What's a better solution?
May 2, 2017
174 posts
216 upvotes
I have the Stinger at home, bought from Lowes for around the same price during clearance last year. While it doesn't do much against mosquitoes, it effectively keeps fruit flies under control in my garage where the garbage and green compost bins are. It's illegal to place the bins outdoor where I live except the morning of garbage pick up days, and without this uv zapper, I would be dealing with certain infestation in the garage during summer. I can have it turn on as needed or automatically for couple hours on a timer, and what a difference it makes even after one night. No scent pack necessary as the uv alone is already sufficient.
Sep 10, 2018
80 posts
590 upvotes
Great deal thanks op got 2

Used an email to get a $10 off coupon

Bye bye bugs
Nov 2, 2007
204 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
I have heard that Thermacells work but I haven't tried them yet. I'm going try it this year
Apr 8, 2013
20 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
Bought these last year and not as good as described. Definite a pass.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2715 posts
562 upvotes
bliz99 wrote: I have the Stinger at home, bought from Lowes for around the same price during clearance last year. While it doesn't do much against mosquitoes, it effectively keeps fruit flies under control in my garage where the garbage and green compost bins are. It's illegal to place the bins outdoor where I live except the morning of garbage pick up days, and without this uv zapper, I would be dealing with certain infestation in the garage during summer. I can have it turn on as needed or automatically for couple hours on a timer, and what a difference it makes even after one night. No scent pack necessary as the uv alone is already sufficient.
I would take even a little something. Like if I am eating dinner outside in the evening, I am wondering if this will zap any of those skeeters that bite so I can eat in peace for a bit. Now, I know you aren't using it in situations where there are a lot, (inside), but would you recommend it at all if the sole purpose was mosquitos? (like I said I would take even a small amount that get zapped).
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2008
1126 posts
1793 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
mawzi wrote: What's a better solution?
Better? Just about anything, including doing nothing. What's effective? That's a more difficult question. Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm not an expert.

Most effective - Eliminate breeding grounds
Make sure your property has adequate drainage. Remove anything that collects and retains standing water (e.g.g. old tires, toys, kids' pool). These are minor steps though. If you're in a rural area, the mosquitoes are likely breeding in low-lying marshy areas that you may not be able to control (neighbouring property, crown land). In urban areas, the most prevalent cause of infestation is abandoned buildings. In both of these cases, there is little you can do on your own. Try lobbying local government or community to address the issue.

Effective in short run - Spraying
Somewhat effective, but has many drawbacks. Expensive, needs to be done every year, requires government/residential approval, may effect other species.

Somewhat effective - Traps
Traps like the one @djredhat posted and the BG-GAT trap can be effective. However, they need to be mass-deployed. The same issues apply as eliminating breeding grounds - need significant coverage, so other property owners will need to participate as well.

Highly effective for mosquitoes in small numbers - Repellent
Deet or picaridin - both approved by the CDC. Apply early & often.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2018
1393 posts
1496 upvotes
mawzi wrote: What's a better solution?
Bought this in the warehouse for $79 ($87 in warehouse now) and I checked in the morning, in a single night there was about 20 mosquitios in this thing.

Now, I was not able to see their gender but apparently in 4-6 weeks we will notice a huge difference in the level of mosqitos as this is supposed to disrupt their cycle.

I am willing to wait and see.