Price:
$99
Expiry:
August 23, 2017
Retailer:
Lowes
Kobalt compound sliding miter saw for $99
https://www.lowes.ca/mitre-saws/kobalt- ... 43355.html

This goes onsale every few months at Lowes and other retails on similarly sized saws. Great for small projects. Not big enough for 4X4's.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1456 upvotes
Richmond
Great price for a sliding mitre saw. Has a laser guide. It's a little under-sized at 7 1/4" blade (most have 10" or 12"), and a little under-powered at 9 amps. But should be fine for cutting 2 x whatever lumber.

Last year's thread on this saw at the same price: lowes-kobalt-7-1-4-9-amp-sliding-compou ... a-1960707/
Mar 21, 2009
272 posts
195 upvotes
Hamilton
No one I know has ever kept a 7.25, if you're the type of person who is going to need a sliding compound miter saw, then you are the type of person who is going to need a 10" miter saw.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
2420 posts
770 upvotes
EK75 wrote: No one I know has ever kept a 7.25, if you're the type of person who is going to need a sliding compound miter saw, then you are the type of person who is going to need a 10" miter saw.
It can't do a 4x4 crosscut but because of the sliding it has the capacity to do pretty much every other cut as a fixed 10" blade. In some cases it actually has more capability. The specs say it can do a 2x8 cross cut whereas the 10" fixed dewalt saw can only do a 2x6.

I have this Kobalt saw and it's not bad. So far it's gotten the job done for me. I think the blade or fence is a bit out of square so that's something that I should look at adjusting, but otherwise it's tackled everything I've thrown at it.
Dec 15, 2009
299 posts
264 upvotes
Sufficient for fence building?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
2013 posts
436 upvotes
Burlington
dawes wrote: Sufficient for fence building?
Probably not. Sufficient for doing the fence boards but probably not for the posts. Won't do a 4X4.
Jul 30, 2017
91 posts
60 upvotes
Faith24 wrote: True, but you know there's a simple solution to the problem of having a small number of components that won't fit in the power saw: the old manually-powered hand saw. :)
https://www.rona.ca/en/20-in-handsaw
Or, just cut one side of the 4x4 then flip and cut the rest of the way.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4378 posts
782 upvotes
Edmonton
My master craft compound miter 10" blade 15 amp I purchased on sale a week ago can not go through a full 4x4. Misses about 1/4" of material for what it's worth. So larger does not mean it will cut bigger wood. It did how ever make short work of it and really only slowed slightly on knots in pressure treated 4x4.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2954 posts
294 upvotes
any good stand with wheels for this saw?
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Banned
Nov 20, 2009
1323 posts
990 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
Thanks, OP. Ordered one, then read the reviews. It has some flaws, like the plastic blade shield shattering, but it may be okay overall. I like that it only weighs 23 lbs as opposed to my Ridgid 12" slider which, with the folding stand, is a huge effort to move around.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1456 upvotes
Richmond
Max_Dealing wrote: My master craft compound miter 10" blade 15 amp I purchased on sale a week ago can not go through a full 4x4. Misses about 1/4" of material for what it's worth. So larger does not mean it will cut bigger wood
I have a Mastercraft 10" blade mitre saw as well, and as I recall it will go through a 4 x 4. I just went and checked a chopped-off segment to be sure, and the key point is that a "4 x 4" is actually 3.5 x 3.5". The saw will just barely make it before the blade guard hits it and won't go any further.

I've seen people say that a circular saw blade should be able to go through a depth = (blade diameter - 1" for the arbor) / 2 = 4.5" for a 10" blade. That's virtually never true - almost all saws have structure around the blade that prevents it from cutting that deep.
Jan 28, 2008
88 posts
34 upvotes
Ontario
I've had this saw for years. I love it.
You can throw it around with one hand, fits in a small space, no big deal if it can't cut a 4x4 in one cut, it can do it in 2 cuts.
I've done some miter cutting of window trim etc. Don't expect great accuracy, but I've never complained about it.
Weight and storage size are two big pluses.
Dec 29, 2017
1 posts
who even wants to buy this saw try to buy it online / pick up from store you will receive $10 off (if you purchase $50+) if you sign up for the first time your total will be exactly $100 after taxes. I've been using it for few days and it is my first Mitre saw i ever owned so there is nothing to complain about for cutting eliminate flooring and shelving and for small projects around the house.