Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] Lowe's - new lower price on variety of trailers

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2020 9:43 pm
Dec 31, 2005
993 posts
534 upvotes
Waterloo
paintballdude05 wrote: Long and short, these trailers have horrible build quality and a lot of them have also been sitting for outside for years. Both those items together are a receipe for a big pain which is what this trailer is turning into.

I picked up my dump trailer on the 27th from a Lowes in London. They had two trailers available, one 2017 and one 2018 model. I ended up going with the 2017 as it had extra features that must have been cut out for the 2018's. We walked around the trailer and I noticed that one marker light was cracked. No big deal, the associate gave me a new one. I also noticed that these trailers had some pretty bad rust for having just sat in a parking lot. This is a result of the terrible paint job that they have from the factory.

As previously reported, they wouldn't allow me to take the trailer without first going to the MTO and having the trailer registered and plated. I got that done and when I got back to the store they freed the trailer up and I was able to hook my truck up to it. Now here's where things got interesting.

Uppon hooking up the electrical connector between the truck and trailer I noticed that lights didn't work. I started walking around and could smell a burnt electrical smell. That's when I noticed that the box that holds the breakaway battery and charger was smoking. I disconnected everything and the smoke stopped after a few minutes. I went inside and got the manager, we opened up the box and found the battery charger smoldering. At this point the manager said he can't do much and suggested I go to a local trailer store and pickup a new breakaway kit. He offered to refund me the cost of the new kit once I got it fixed.

Fast forward a bit, I was able to get the trailer home, the lights worked fine after tightening a few grounds. I didnt have electric brakes working but I figured that had to do with the breakaway kit that was missing. I was able to get a new breakaway kit installed but that still didnt give me brakes. I'm going to get a hold of the manager tomorrow to see what he can do about all of this. I'm also going to get a hold of Carry On Trailers to see what they say. All I can say is good thing this was a pretty hot deal!
From what I can tell the breakaway and trailer brakes are independent. 12v aux charges the breakaway battery. The pull cord from the breakaway kit would close the circuit from that battery to the electric brakes when it breaks away and pulls the pin out.

Have you checked your settings on your electric brake controller in your truck?
Happy Zoomer customer! $36/800m/5gb.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1047 posts
670 upvotes
Stranger wrote: From what I can tell the breakaway and trailer brakes are independent. 12v aux charges the breakaway battery. The pull cord from the breakaway kit would close the circuit from that battery to the electric brakes when it breaks away and pulls the pin out.

Have you checked your settings on your electric brake controller in your truck?
Thanks for the insight. I'm using the built in factory break controller on my F150. The brake controller doesnt even pickup the trailer when connected, however charging and all the lights work fine.

Before I take it too far, maybe I'll bring a truck back from work tomorrow with another brake controller to see if that's the problem.
Dec 31, 2005
993 posts
534 upvotes
Waterloo
paintballdude05 wrote: Thanks for the insight. I'm using the built in factory break controller on my F150. The brake controller doesnt even pickup the trailer when connected, however charging and all the lights work fine.

Before I take it too far, maybe I'll bring a truck back from work tomorrow with another brake controller to see if that's the problem.
If you can, confirm the electronic brake pin in your 7 way to ground with the brakes applied (use a multimeter).

That'd be where I would start.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1047 posts
670 upvotes
So things are pretty much resolved. I called Carry-On Trailers and they authorized the repairs on the trailer. I took it to a trailer repair shop and they repaired a few electrical connections. There's supposed to be a cheque in the mail now for the repair costs and the new breakaway kit.
Dec 31, 2005
993 posts
534 upvotes
Waterloo
paintballdude05 wrote: So things are pretty much resolved. I called Carry-On Trailers and they authorized the repairs on the trailer. I took it to a trailer repair shop and they repaired a few electrical connections. There's supposed to be a cheque in the mail now for the repair costs and the new breakaway kit.
Thanks for the update! I actually have a case open with them as well.

I bought the enclosed 7x16. The side door has a heavy rub on the trim, hinge side. I'm missing an apparent ATV transition flap and they say a spare tire holder was supposed to be in the Lowes model (I don't seem to see any reference to that but I'd be happy to take it). Also, one of my 4 tires isn't holding air so they'll sort that out. They seem really good to deal with so far and it seems like you had a similar experience which is great.
Dec 31, 2005
993 posts
534 upvotes
Waterloo
Just to update on this thread for anyone who got a Carry-On Trailer or reads it in the future.

Customer service was great and they took care of/compensated us, for all of the issues we found. About the trailer:

1) Rubbing on side door - was a screw for the corner plastic piece, it was horribly put into the door. Way too far to the edge and on an angle. Removed it and drove it in at a better location.
2) Tire not holding air - had a screw in the tread. It was one of the ones from the body that has the 8 points (use a square screwdriver) so it was courtesy of the factory.
3) There's quite a few screws in the body panels or elsewhere that are driven in on an angle. That's just messy and lazy and I hope it doesn't cause problems with leaks.
4) The tie downs inside - inconsistently installed (width from the walls), not half an inch but 3 or 4 inches difference. Pull them up to put down some garage flooring to protect the plywood floor, would have been nice to see them install the tie downs with their first shot with the screw into the joist. Took them 3 tries for one of the holes so have a few spares holes in the floor.
5) 3 of the body screws, 2 at the passenger rear and 1 at the driver front, have the heads broken off. Going to try and back those out and have some spares from customer service to replace them.

It was a great deal for the trailer so hard to complain too much.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1047 posts
670 upvotes
Stranger wrote: Just to update on this thread for anyone who got a Carry-On Trailer or reads it in the future.

Customer service was great and they took care of/compensated us, for all of the issues we found. About the trailer:

1) Rubbing on side door - was a screw for the corner plastic piece, it was horribly put into the door. Way too far to the edge and on an angle. Removed it and drove it in at a better location.
2) Tire not holding air - had a screw in the tread. It was one of the ones from the body that has the 8 points (use a square screwdriver) so it was courtesy of the factory.
3) There's quite a few screws in the body panels or elsewhere that are driven in on an angle. That's just messy and lazy and I hope it doesn't cause problems with leaks.
4) The tie downs inside - inconsistently installed (width from the walls), not half an inch but 3 or 4 inches difference. Pull them up to put down some garage flooring to protect the plywood floor, would have been nice to see them install the tie downs with their first shot with the screw into the joist. Took them 3 tries for one of the holes so have a few spares holes in the floor.
5) 3 of the body screws, 2 at the passenger rear and 1 at the driver front, have the heads broken off. Going to try and back those out and have some spares from customer service to replace them.

It was a great deal for the trailer so hard to complain too much.
Glad to hear you got things worked out. I haven't really used my dump trailer since its winter time. Considering the build quality of these trailers I think you'd be insane to buy one at the listed price. Welds look like they were put down by an 9th grade shop class beginner. Wiring is atrocious too and will likely need to be redone in a few years. It does have some quality components such as the tires and axles though. All in all I'm happy with my purchase with having less than $3.5k into this dump trailer.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3828 posts
2784 upvotes
GTA
Any similar deals this year? Looking for 5x8 trailer.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1047 posts
670 upvotes
I havent seen anything yet. Last years sale was a fluke, I doubt it'll happen again.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3349 posts
1369 upvotes
Ottawa
Talked to a store rep, he said they didn't near get the stock of last year due to supplier disruption. So no deals like last year, barely anything to clear out
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1047 posts
670 upvotes
shylok wrote: Talked to a store rep, he said they didn't near get the stock of last year due to supplier disruption. So no deals like last year, barely anything to clear out
Agreed, my local store might of had a handful of trailers this year, and there's not much left. My trailer had been at the store for nearly two years before it was cleared out.