Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] Miracle-Gro Miracle-Gro All purpose Food (24-8-16) $11.99 PM Home Depot

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 7:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1345 posts
121 upvotes
Markham

[Lowe's] Miracle-Gro Miracle-Gro All purpose Food (24-8-16) $11.99 PM Home Depot

You can PM Home depot for extra 10% off.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/miracl ... 1001200918
torontodragon
All opinions expressed by me are mine and may not agree with my employer or any person, company, or thing, living or dead, on or near this or any other planet, moon, asteroid, or other spatial object, natural or manufactured
18 replies
Nov 30, 2005
826 posts
214 upvotes
Belleville, ON
Everytime I see Miracle Gro I think of Monsanto. Try to avoid if you can, plus these heavy synthetic fertilizers are not good for the soil in the long run.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5065 posts
1665 upvotes
ZxExN wrote: Everytime I see Miracle Gro I think of Monsanto. Try to avoid if you can, plus these heavy synthetic fertilizers are not good for the soil in the long run.
lolwut
Nov 3, 2018
202 posts
548 upvotes
ZxExN wrote: Everytime I see Miracle Gro I think of Monsanto. Try to avoid if you can, plus these heavy synthetic fertilizers are not good for the soil in the long run.
isn't this just phosphorus, nitrogen and potassium?
Nov 30, 2005
826 posts
214 upvotes
Belleville, ON
supremePug wrote: isn't this just phosphorus, nitrogen and potassium?
Synthetic fertilizers are good for a quick hit of nutrients for the plants, however over time it kills the beneficial microbes in the soil responsible for breaking down organic matter that feeds the plants. It also increases nitrate levels which over time, kills the soil itself (like salting the earth). There also a good chance at such a high concentration, you'll burn the roots of the plant.
Sep 22, 2010
79 posts
39 upvotes
ZxExN wrote: Synthetic fertilizers are good for a quick hit of nutrients for the plants, however over time it kills the beneficial microbes in the soil responsible for breaking down organic matter that feeds the plants. It also increases nitrate levels which over time, kills the soil itself (like salting the earth). There also a good chance at such a high concentration, you'll burn the roots of the plant.
What do you recommend instead? Looking for vegetables in Garden bed

Thx
Dec 24, 2011
358 posts
215 upvotes
toronto
Used miracle grow for couple of years never seen good reaults. Started using cow manure world of difference in my garden vegetables and flower plants...
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1407 posts
1112 upvotes
I still find it funny how many people are disgusted by using urine as fertilizer but poop is ok.
Nov 30, 2005
826 posts
214 upvotes
Belleville, ON
makaveli80 wrote: What do you recommend instead? Looking for vegetables in Garden bed

Thx
Any type of compost would be fine. 2 inch of it as top dressing. You can also buy some organic fertilizer and work that into the soil. Organic fertilizer requires the microbes to break it down before the nutrients are available to the plants. Takes longer but will be better for the plants as they generally include alot of the micro and trace minerals that plants need.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
7833 posts
2628 upvotes
Mississauga
ZxExN wrote: Any type of compost would be fine. 2 inch of it as top dressing. You can also buy some organic fertilizer and work that into the soil. Organic fertilizer requires the microbes to break it down before the nutrients are available to the plants. Takes longer but will be better for the plants as they generally include alot of the micro and trace minerals that plants need.
I am no expert, but I recall someone telling me even when people cut flowers and it dies, or prune dead leaves and so on, to throw it back into the soil so that it will break it down to serve as fertilizer. Is that true?
Aug 12, 2010
607 posts
374 upvotes
Evertime I see Miracle Gro, I think about Tomacco
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
Nov 30, 2005
826 posts
214 upvotes
Belleville, ON
kenchau wrote: I am no expert, but I recall someone telling me even when people cut flowers and it dies, or prune dead leaves and so on, to throw it back into the soil so that it will break it down to serve as fertilizer. Is that true?
Generally it's ok to use the dead leaves as a mulch as it will break down and feed the soil however if the leaves looks diseased, get rid of it or it will spread to your plants.