• Oct 5th, 2018 5:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1919 posts
573 upvotes
Woodbridge

[Lowe's] Nest Protect $104 ( with PM)

Currently, Lowes flyer has Nest Protect 2nd Gen for 116.10 ( price glitch online though as online shows this product is excluded from current promotion ) .
I took this flyer to Homedpot and price matched it. Final price from HD came out to 104 which is lowest price I have ever encountered till date.
Last edited by newlyborn on Sep 28th, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
112 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4774 posts
1975 upvotes
Been on sale for 99$ many times
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1044 posts
597 upvotes
AB
Not bad for sure, but yeah have seen for under $100 on occasion with price match, or during the whole google home mini thing where some places where taking off the price of a free home mini (aka end price for $78+tax)

Still definitely decent if you need more, I’m at my fill with 8 in the house.
Nov 24, 2013
21 posts
10 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Why do you have 8 of them?
Sep 4, 2005
240 posts
211 upvotes
Because the firecode for new buildings is redonkulous.

" According to building code, smoke alarms must be installed in each dwelling unit and in each sleeping area within a dwelling unit. Hallways connected to bedrooms must also have an alarm on or near the ceiling. In addition to these specific areas—each storey—including the basement must have an alarm installed".
Nov 24, 2013
21 posts
10 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Wow that's a bit excessive.

I wonder how many Mike Holmes would put in, seeing how code isn't good enough.
May 8, 2008
48 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Real_Deal wrote: Because the firecode for new buildings is redonkulous.

" According to building code, smoke alarms must be installed in each dwelling unit and in each sleeping area within a dwelling unit. Hallways connected to bedrooms must also have an alarm on or near the ceiling. In addition to these specific areas—each storey—including the basement must have an alarm installed".
FYI, I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. It looks like a typo; the word "not" is missing. Here is the actual code:

3.2.4.22. Smoke Alarms

(1) Except as permitted by Sentence (6), smoke alarms conforming to CAN/ulc-S531, "Smoke Alarms", shall be installed in each dwelling unit and, except for care, care and treatment or detention occupancies required to have a fire alarm system, in each sleeping room not within a dwelling unit.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1044 posts
597 upvotes
AB
sirmorty wrote: Why do you have 8 of them?
3 x wired AC ones on basement, main, upstairs. Then 5 battery ones, one in each of the bedrooms (2 in basement, 2 upstairs, 1 master) As per 2014 Alberta building code .
May 8, 2008
48 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Ah ok, seems Alberta has increased their requirements. I'm still betting that the quote was a typo based on Ontario code (which doesn't seem to be as crazy yet).

Kind of makes sense; outside the bedroom will help warn you before the smoke reaches your bedroom, but if the fire starts inside your own bedroom while you are asleep or something then it will help. Maybe you should just plaster all your walls and ceilings with smoke detectors.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2772 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: Been on sale for 99$ many times
I got mine from Lowe's for $99 early this year, but I haven't noticed it selling anywhere for that price since, so I wouldn't say it's a common price.

Just one caution: the one that Lowe's sent me was from stock already 6 months old, and since these things have a 10-year lifespan from date of manufacture before they start nagging you to replace them, that's already 5% of the useful life gone. I suspect Lowe's has a sale whenever their stock gets too old, so check the manufacturing date if you get one.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1688 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
I really want to buy 3 of these for my home eventually, but the current decent ones I bought are just a year old, so I want to get some more life out of them
What are the chances of a 3rd gen model coming out in the next year or so?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8813 posts
2501 upvotes
Wizard1 wrote: Incase anyone needs instructions for installation and setup

Great job on the video!
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19128 posts
6000 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Recently gutted and added addition to my house and it had to be treated like a new building code wise.

Can confirm I have to have wired interconnected alarms in every bedroom, and also on every floor. And they need to have big ugly strobe lights for the deaf too even if no residents are deaf so nest doesn't actually technically meet code in Ontario...

Alarms in every bedroom seemed excessive to me but the strobe light thing is just stupid in a private SFH if nobody living there needs it IMO.

Nest Protect is awesome by the way.