96 upvotes
Calgary
How do you guys see $116?

I am seeing $129 online
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8945 posts
2543 upvotes
The Lowes flyer shows $116, take that to HD to PM and you should get it for $104.
Nest products are excluded from the 10% discount so the flyer price of $116 maybe misprint.
Dec 8, 2009
687 posts
145 upvotes
Strobe is may be good for neighbors and people on street able to call firefighters before fire gets out of control. They all interconnected so nest wired is useless for replacing , I have installed nest battery as additional system without interfering wired interconnected system. Last two years a lot house fire incidents in GTA so better to have many than a few
BinaryJay wrote: Recently gutted and added addition to my house and it had to be treated like a new building code wise.

Can confirm I have to have wired interconnected alarms in every bedroom, and also on every floor. And they need to have big ugly strobe lights for the deaf too even if no residents are deaf so nest doesn't actually technically meet code in Ontario...

Alarms in every bedroom seemed excessive to me but the strobe light thing is just stupid in a private SFH if nobody living there needs it IMO.

Nest Protect is awesome by the way.
Jun 23, 2015
99 posts
53 upvotes
I can’t justify throwing out $360 vs $70 when they’re garbage in 10 years if they even last that long
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4815 posts
2019 upvotes
Real_Deal wrote: Because the firecode for new buildings is redonkulous.

" According to building code, smoke alarms must be installed in each dwelling unit and in each sleeping area within a dwelling unit. Hallways connected to bedrooms must also have an alarm on or near the ceiling. In addition to these specific areas—each storey—including the basement must have an alarm installed".
You think that’s bad. Ontario also requires strobe lights now
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Oct 15, 2013
75 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: You think that’s bad. Ontario also requires strobe lights now
Images
  • 918EF0DC-B507-43FD-B820-14FE1CF105EA.jpeg
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19168 posts
6071 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
rjpadua wrote:
The VAST MAJORITY of smoke/CO detectors sold in Ontario do not meet the ontario building code. When I was in the situation I could only find a single model with the stupid strobe that barely anybody sold and was even more expensive than nest protect without any smart features whatsoever.

It may be a bit better now, but I doubt it.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4815 posts
2019 upvotes
rjpadua wrote:
Half of the crap they sell at Home Depot does not meet code either
These do meet code as far as smoke detectors. you would need a strobe light as well.

There aren’t many smoke detectors that are all in one
Last edited by Red_Army on Sep 28th, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4406 posts
880 upvotes
Yeah it doesn't meet code.

But you can do what I did and install one in a central location as a stand-alone. These things are pretty sensitive and if you have an open concept house, it's going to pick up on smoke from anywhere.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
1442 posts
248 upvotes
Woodbridge
BinaryJay wrote: Recently gutted and added addition to my house and it had to be treated like a new building code wise.

Can confirm I have to have wired interconnected alarms in every bedroom, and also on every floor. And they need to have big ugly strobe lights for the deaf too even if no residents are deaf so nest doesn't actually technically meet code in Ontario...

Alarms in every bedroom seemed excessive to me but the strobe light thing is just stupid in a private SFH if nobody living there needs it IMO.

Nest Protect is awesome by the way.
I can confirm this as well as we recently finished our basement and our company does things by code. They told me the same thing about needing one in every single bedroom and in the hallways including the strobe thing which sucks if you don't need it. They installed a wired detector but told me that customers typically remove it and then install the Nest Protect afterwards.
Mar 6, 2018
48 posts
23 upvotes
Beware when you buy them, i bought nest protect from lowe’s before and those were 3-4 years old, they refuse for refund.
Most of them have only 10 years lifespan
Nov 8, 2012
302 posts
337 upvotes
TORONTO
robelus wrote: Beware when you buy them, i bought nest protect from lowe’s before and those were 3-4 years old, they refuse for refund.
Most of them have only 10 years lifespan
When I purchased my protects in store, they tried pawing off 6 month old ones. I raised a stink and they opened up another crate for me. Always buy these in store and check the best before date before you pay.
Nov 17, 2003
308 posts
35 upvotes
PM'd at HD. Took 2 mins. Replacement date of May 2028. Not bad.