Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] Nest Protect $104 ( with PM)

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2018 5:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1945 posts
587 upvotes
Woodbridge
PM at HD will bring the price down to 104.
speeed wrote: How do you guys see $116?

I am seeing $129 online
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Member
Mar 7, 2011
248 posts
163 upvotes
Calgary
I bought it from lowes last year for $88 after tax.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1945 posts
587 upvotes
Woodbridge
Vooooow..That is an amazing lava hot deal. How were you able to secure it?
xdreamoz wrote: I bought it from lowes last year for $88 after tax.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 29, 2003
6260 posts
1268 upvotes
Not sure if I am the only one, but I find the pathlight being the best feature for Nest protect due to the locations that smoke alarms are usually placed (hallways)....other than the fact that Nest tells me on my phone when my house is burning down
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1945 posts
587 upvotes
Woodbridge
I also find the pathlight a very cool feature. Another reason for me to love my EERO Mesh network for the same reason.
cy wrote: Not sure if I am the only one, but I find the pathlight being the best feature for Nest protect due to the locations that smoke alarms are usually placed (hallways)....other than the fact that Nest tells me on my phone when my house is burning down
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Member
Mar 7, 2011
248 posts
163 upvotes
Calgary
newlyborn wrote: Vooooow..That is an amazing lava hot deal. How were you able to secure it?
I found the deal on RFD and combined it with the $10 off for subscribing to the newsletter. Put in an online order and went to pick it up in store. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for similar deal but haven't seen anything close to that.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2010
1669 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto
Do you all have nest thermostat too?
I've got Ecobee and trying to figure out if it's worth jumping in this as well.
Last edited by dannyphones on Sep 28th, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 23, 2012
10 posts
3 upvotes
The Ontario code requires smoke alarms in bedrooms and one on each floor.
Unfortunately it also requires all smoke alarms to have a visual signalling device (strobe light) for the hearing impaired which these devices do not meet.
During building inspectors would not accept (unless they overlook this) this device without an additional stand alone strobe.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2773 upvotes
mellor76 wrote: The Ontario code requires smoke alarms in bedrooms and one on each floor.
Unfortunately it also requires all smoke alarms to have a visual signalling device (strobe light) for the hearing impaired which these devices do not meet.
During building inspectors would not accept (unless they overlook this) this device without an additional stand alone strobe.
Unfortunately the Ontario code hasn't quite caught up with devices like the Nest Protect.

They do communicate with each other (wirelessly, even without internet), so all the Nest Protect units in your home will activate together, and the voice announcement will tell you which one is the source of the alarm. It also shows a bright red rotating LED ring that would be hard to miss even if someone couldn't hear the very loud alarm siren.

But the code requires that units be hard-wired together, and that they specifically provide a flashing strobe.
Member
Jan 4, 2013
484 posts
166 upvotes
Real_Deal wrote: Because the firecode for new buildings is redonkulous.

" According to building code, smoke alarms must be installed in each dwelling unit and in each sleeping area within a dwelling unit. Hallways connected to bedrooms must also have an alarm on or near the ceiling. In addition to these specific areas—each storey—including the basement must have an alarm installed".
Weird, my insurance company came and told me I needed 1 on each floor and 1 of those has to be in a kitchen. I ended up putting 3 in and they were plenty fine with that. I am also in BC so probably different code here.
Last edited by russbarden on Sep 28th, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 23, 2014
1423 posts
732 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have one Nest Protect upstairs and a regular (old) smoke detector downstairs, which I'd like to replace with a Nest.
The gas company replaced our meter yesterday and while they were working the whole house smelled strongly of gas (according to my wife). The Nest Protect did not detect the gas. I know that it is supposed to detect smoke and CO but it would be nice if it could also detect natural gas.
What safety measures do you guys have in place for a gas leak?
Member
Jan 4, 2013
484 posts
166 upvotes
Sievert wrote: I have one Nest Protect upstairs and a regular (old) smoke detector downstairs, which I'd like to replace with a Nest.
The gas company replaced our meter yesterday and while they were working the whole house smelled strongly of gas (according to my wife). The Nest Protect did not detect the gas. I know that it is supposed to detect smoke and CO but it would be nice if it could also detect natural gas.
What safety measures do you guys have in place for a gas leak?
My nose is my only one.... So hopefully I don't loose more of my smell.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 18, 2005
1240 posts
197 upvotes
Vancouver
I have the gen 1 hardwired in the living room, gen 2 wired in bedroom and downstairs, gen 2 battery for the kitchen (new house build didn't have one in the kitchen). Waiting for under $100 price again to get one for the nursery or just outside the nursery.
Graphic Designer
Newbie
Jun 24, 2018
18 posts
11 upvotes
Would I get in trouble with my condo/landlord for replacing mine with one of these?
Member
Dec 23, 2011
267 posts
180 upvotes
There's a $5 off on $50 purchase if you sign up for HD newsletter. That will bring the price down to $99.

Top