Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] Nest Protect $104 ( with PM)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2018 5:23 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1217 posts
294 upvotes
Does the Nest Protect have a presence sensor? that will change your home/away status?
Jun 16, 2008
786 posts
642 upvotes
amy2421 wrote: Thanks for the tip about The Source. The price at The Source with the PSP discount is $110.49. I showed it on my phone at Home Depot and they price-matched with the extra 10% off at $99.44 plus tax.

I bought 2 wired ones and the expiry dates are both May 2028. May was the newest (they had 7 May and one January.)
I just did the same. Got 4x June 2028.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5739 posts
9444 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC
Thanks OP. Also thx for the Source PSP price match. - $110.49 with extra 10% off came to $99.44. Then today I received an email from Home Depot Credit Card with a $10 off > $50 purchase coupon when you put the purchase on their CC. So final price was $89.44 plus $1.20 eco fee and taxes. I had already used all of my $5 off coupons for signing up to their newsletter or I could have had $5 more off.

If you have a Home Depot CC, check your email for subject "ATTN! Special Offer for You! Get $10 off $50".

Only bad news is mine has a date of Dec 2027 - they only had 3 in stock.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43165 posts
3688 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Have you guys been replacing dumb detectors before their end of life? Just found out one smoke detector I have that I thought was expiring this year actually still has another 3 years on it, and haven't decided if I should replace it with a Nest or not...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9006 posts
10039 upvotes
perfectg wrote: I called 3 in my area, all want $250 per hour just to come look at what I have now and then $105 per hour for install and parts.
it's quite simple to install (see setup video on page 1). I suggest you go and examine how your existing ones are setup (don't forget to disable power first), and then make a decision whether you want to attempt to do it yourself or shell out that kind of money
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2005
1241 posts
199 upvotes
Vancouver
Wizard1 wrote: it's quite simple to install (see setup video on page 1). I suggest you go and examine how your existing ones are setup (don't forget to disable power first), and then make a decision whether you want to attempt to do it yourself or shell out that kind of money
THat quote was for the Nest thermostat. I already wired up all the Nest smoke detectors, without powering them down. 2 wire hookup and left the 3rd common alone, since nest works with wireless mesh.
Graphic Designer
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43165 posts
3688 upvotes
Richmond Hill
perfectg wrote: THat quote was for the Nest thermostat. I already wired up all the Nest smoke detectors, without powering them down. 2 wire hookup and left the 3rd common alone, since nest works with wireless mesh.
I hope you were installing the battery version, otherwise that's not a very smart thing to do.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9006 posts
10039 upvotes
perfectg wrote: THat quote was for the Nest thermostat. I already wired up all the Nest smoke detectors, without powering them down. 2 wire hookup and left the 3rd common alone, since nest works with wireless mesh.
The install for nest thermostat is very simple as well. Their guide included is very very straightforward and helpful. It can be done within 20-30min
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2005
1241 posts
199 upvotes
Vancouver
Jon Lai wrote: I hope you were installing the battery version, otherwise that's not a very smart thing to do.
no wired version, you dont need to power down if you know what you are doing. I replaced light switches without powering them down.
Graphic Designer
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1423 posts
732 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
perfectg wrote: no wired version, you dont need to power down if you know what you are doing. I replaced light switches without powering them down.
If you knew what you were doing, you'd know that you need to disconnect the power.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43165 posts
3688 upvotes
Richmond Hill
perfectg wrote: no wired version, you dont need to power down if you know what you are doing. I replaced light switches without powering them down.
If you're brave enough to do the detectors with live wires, I'm not sure why you aren't installing your own Tstat.

Also, it's not about knowing what you're doing. It's about safety.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2773 upvotes
tatung wrote: Does the Nest Protect have a presence sensor? that will change your home/away status?
It does, based on the built-in motion sensor, but details about how often it communicates with the Nest servers, by what rules Nest decides to change the Home/Away status, are a bit obscure. Nest says something about it learning your behaviour. What we generally see is that it decides we are Away a few hours after we go out during the day - but not always. Overnight it ignores the motion sensor not seeing activity.

It does produce a Nest Home/Away status notification that you can use in IFTTT and Stringify.
Nov 21, 2007
53 posts
26 upvotes
toronto
I just got one free yesterday from simply smart home. They came over tried to sell me on furnace insurance. I told them I was happy with my furnace guy installed the nest and left. 30 minutes ( I think its gta)
https://simplysmarthome.ca/
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1217 posts
294 upvotes
Exp315 wrote: It does, based on the built-in motion sensor, but details about how often it communicates with the Nest servers, by what rules Nest decides to change the Home/Away status, are a bit obscure. Nest says something about it learning your behaviour. What we generally see is that it decides we are Away a few hours after we go out during the day - but not always. Overnight it ignores the motion sensor not seeing activity.

It does produce a Nest Home/Away status notification that you can use in IFTTT and Stringify.
I'm scared the Nest will go into eco mode at night while i'm sleeping or when I'm home watching tv in the basement, so I haven't set the thermostat to go into Eco mode when the Nest determines we're away, Nor do I want to enable phone location. Does the Nest system go into away mode at night?