Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
50% off
Expiry:
May 26, 2019
Retailer:
Lowes
Have been looking to replace the typical looking bulky builder flush mount lights, and came across these ones at a clearance price and ordered three for myself. Appears to be 50% off, assuming the regular price of $35.99 is to be believed.

They use GU24 type bulbs and according to the page, it comes with a 23-watt fluorescent spiral bulb. You can always replace with LED ones in the GU24 format down the road for additional energy savings.

Comes in Brushed Nickel (https://www.lowes.ca/products/view.aspx ... ecntly_vwd), as well as, Aged Bronze (https://www.lowes.ca/products/view.aspx ... ecntly_vwd).

The shade is an acrylic material, but don't know if that surrounding trim part is metal or plastic since I only just ordered it today.
9 replies
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1051 posts
227 upvotes
No offense to the OP.

Don't waste your time with this old tech. GU24 CFL and LED bulbs are 8-10x the cost of a LED Edison base.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3701 posts
1241 upvotes
Montreal
Why would I want to install this over a newer LED flush-mount fixture? I can find LED fixtures for less ...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6379 posts
1886 upvotes
Mississauga
GT!! wrote:
May 13th, 2019 2:22 pm
Why would I want to install this over a newer LED flush-mount fixture? I can find LED fixtures for less ...
The less expensive ones I've looked at anyways, customer reviews have mentioned the LEDs burning out after a while, and I simply don't want to replace the entire fixture. Would prefer replacing a bulb.

Care to share, which LED ones you have come across? I would consider.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1051 posts
227 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
May 13th, 2019 4:53 pm
The less expensive ones I've looked at anyways, customer reviews have mentioned the LEDs burning out after a while, and I simply don't want to replace the entire fixture. Would prefer replacing a bulb.

If you have a Costco membership their "Sky Raker" is very good and well priced.
Oct 6, 2006
140 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
You missed A week or two ago - $8.09 . I picked up three to get the discount - they are back to $29.xx now. Only drawback is they were higher end of the spectrum (clinical white)
kenchau wrote:

Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3701 posts
1241 upvotes
Montreal
kenchau wrote:

I used the ones from Costco that are $26 for two. The life expectancy of the bulb is good enough that I'm not worried about bulb replacement. Replacing the entire fixture takes only a few minutes if you are at all handy.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1128 posts
277 upvotes
Vaughan
I have largely been avoiding single bulb fixtures now since I started switching to LED light bulbs. This is primarily driven by the fact that most of the LED bulbs I buy are "60W equivalent" and under light (insufficient lumens) the area in question when only a single bulb is installed. So 2 bulbs are a must, and 3 bulbs are often a real improvement for lighting. I have found numerous light fixture offerings on Amazon to replace my cheapo builder fixtures. Recently I bought numerous fixtures on Amazon from "Nuvo Lighting" that were affordable, better looking than the builder fixtures, and provided 2-3 bulb installations to better light the rooms I put them in. I find that lighting fixtures from HD and Lowes and generally overpriced vs what I can find on Amazon (appreciating that my Amazon fixtures rarely come with CSA or ETL stickers). Having said that, All my Nuvo fixtures have ground wires, while none of the builder fixtures I replaced (all of which had CSA stickers) had ground wires. The electrical boxes had ground wires though (1997 build). Funny that.

Mic

Here's a 3000K slim fixture that might meet your needs if you don't care that you can't change the bulb:

https://www.amazon.ca/Nuvo-Lighting-62- ... =8-39&th=1
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6379 posts
1886 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the alternative suggestions all. I will have to take a look.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2025 posts
569 upvotes
Ottawa
Do NOT get GU base lights (the ones with the 2 prongs).

Those are harder to find, and when you do find them, they are more expensive than the normal screw in lights. Also, some mounts are poorly designed and it is a pain to change the lights.