• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2020 12:36 pm
[OP]
Aug 19, 2007
59 posts
25 upvotes

Lowes Price Match experience

Hi all

I recently bought a patio set from Lowe's in an attempt to price beat and get 10% cheaper than Home Depot price. Product is exactly the same, both banners had it shipped for free and shipping directly from OEM. No gray zone and very straightforward. I read all the fineprints and made sure it is 100% legit.

Lowe's price is 2228 vs 1498 $ for Home Depot.

You have to go through a form to request price beat for online orders which I did straight after the purchase. My initial hope was to cancel the order if the PM is not granted to avoid further trouble. Product still shipped in the meanwhile and have not heard back from Lowe's in interim. It has been now 10 days from initial order and 5 days from the day I received the goods and still no news. Lowe's does not answer through the phone (long waits) and I waited through their chat 3 times. I have copies of all the transcripts and even agents agreeing implicitly that it should be granted because manufacturer number is the same and simply they have no control on the queue for PM. At some point, they escalated my interaction and had someone call me all to say that it is in the queue (interaction was added to my case number) and it is a different department that approves these requests. I tried to make sure during that call that they add as much notes as possible and the product price was good and available.

To add to the uncertainty, product is now OOS at both banners and other banners as well that sell the same product. I am on the hook for 2500 $ and 1000 $ of price difference roughly. I have printed a PDF at the time it was available for purchase as additional proof.

I have not opened the patio set to inspect it for damages as I want to return brand new it if the PM is not granted. I technically have 30 days to return. That return would likely take many days given the current situation as you have to go through a form online as well. Anyways, my question is how much you think I should wait further and how confident I should be vs the situation. Also if there are other means to escalate this. If people had experience with Lowe's PM online, it would be appreciated as well.

Regardless of the outcome, I think I will not bother with Lowe's anymore and this is poor customer service. I am trying to be as comprehensive as possible but there is really no way to get the end of it so far (denied or granted PM).

Thanks in advance for your replies.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1128 posts
863 upvotes
Durham Region
you usually have 90 days to return stuff to big box stores. Probably a lot longer these days. They are all busy and backed up at the moment.

Its unfortunate that the customer service and communication is so poor these days
Aug 18, 2019
282 posts
202 upvotes
It's not only Lowe's specifically but everywhere is like that. HD, Walmart, banks are all like that due to Coronavirus. All calls, deliveries and processings are backed up so welcome to the new normal.
~ 👍teslanaire2bitcoinaireButStillCheapLurking@RFDForDeals✌️~
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3621 posts
2266 upvotes
Edmonton
Lallous wrote: Hi all

I recently bought a patio set from Lowe's in an attempt to price beat and get 10% cheaper than Home Depot price. Product is exactly the same, both banners had it shipped for free and shipping directly from OEM. No gray zone and very straightforward. I read all the fineprints and made sure it is 100% legit.

Lowe's price is 2228 vs 1498 $ for Home Depot.

You have to go through a form to request price beat for online orders which I did straight after the purchase. My initial hope was to cancel the order if the PM is not granted to avoid further trouble. Product still shipped in the meanwhile and have not heard back from Lowe's in interim. It has been now 10 days from initial order and 5 days from the day I received the goods and still no news. Lowe's does not answer through the phone (long waits) and I waited through their chat 3 times. I have copies of all the transcripts and even agents agreeing implicitly that it should be granted because manufacturer number is the same and simply they have no control on the queue for PM. At some point, they escalated my interaction and had someone call me all to say that it is in the queue (interaction was added to my case number) and it is a different department that approves these requests. I tried to make sure during that call that they add as much notes as possible and the product price was good and available.

To add to the uncertainty, product is now OOS at both banners and other banners as well that sell the same product. I am on the hook for 2500 $ and 1000 $ of price difference roughly. I have printed a PDF at the time it was available for purchase as additional proof.

I have not opened the patio set to inspect it for damages as I want to return brand new it if the PM is not granted. I technically have 30 days to return. That return would likely take many days given the current situation as you have to go through a form online as well. Anyways, my question is how much you think I should wait further and how confident I should be vs the situation. Also if there are other means to escalate this. If people had experience with Lowe's PM online, it would be appreciated as well.

Regardless of the outcome, I think I will not bother with Lowe's anymore and this is poor customer service. I am trying to be as comprehensive as possible but there is really no way to get the end of it so far (denied or granted PM).

Thanks in advance for your replies.
You are pretty brave to trust a store like this expecting them to come through for you for that amount of money.

Seems like the delay is out-of-line regardless of circumstances.

Personally, I would have done an in-store price match where it’s instant or just bought at Home Depot for the lower price. The time and aggravation are not worth the 10%. Now if they reject it, you have to spend time returning it and are out the product.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2095 posts
2043 upvotes
just reading the OP, it sounds like this was posted before pandemic.,..
but it's not...
[OP]
Aug 19, 2007
59 posts
25 upvotes
I get it stores are backed up but Lowe's is not helping its case.
I mean they could have suspended PM policy similar to what Walmart did. It's just matter of managing expectations. Also, I would expect physical processing be more backed up than backoffice requests for PM. My order was processed and shipped within 72 hours for which I would be more than grateful for any order, yet I am 10 days later with no news on PM.

Also, it is 30 days for furniture for member who said it is 90 days and I stated that the case in recent in OP. For information, some products might be OOS temporarily because OEM for furniture which ship direct are closed and that would make sense in my case. It is not a custom product. I could not have done this PM in store as it is an online exclusive item.

I tried to reach out today and they gave me that backlog for this type of requests is 12 days so I will be waiting till Friday as a last attempt.

Anyways, lesson learned either way.

P.S.: I do not expect upvotes either by why the down votes ? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3241 posts
3268 upvotes
GTA
I believe all seasonal items have a 30 day return instead of 90.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2007
59 posts
25 upvotes
ok after 6 different chats over 2 weeks (with over 1h30 wait each time), a helpful agent escalated to a supervisor who had to escalate it to HQ because the price match was over 700 $. She promised an answer by the day (yesterday) and finally got an email today that it was approved. I think the fact I seriously wanted to initiate a return at my last attempt coupled with all my previous interactions made them move to finally make it right...

Anyways, I am grateful this is sorted and but definitely a YMMV experience. Will not repeat in current circumstances.

Cheers
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16025 posts
13258 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Lallous wrote: ok after 6 different chats over 2 weeks (with over 1h30 wait each time), a helpful agent escalated to a supervisor who had to escalate it to HQ because the price match was over 700 $. She promised an answer by the day (yesterday) and finally got an email today that it was approved. I think the fact I seriously wanted to initiate a return at my last attempt coupled with all my previous interactions made them move to finally make it right...

Anyways, I am grateful this is sorted and but definitely a YMMV experience. Will not repeat in current circumstances.

Cheers
Glad it all worked out for you in the end.

We had an EXCELLENT Price Match experience with Lowe’s a while back on a stove.

BUT ... we did do it in person, and not online.

I would chalk it up for it really & truly is here ... another case of Covid making regular ops go off the rails.

But ya, understand your frustration and the endless hours you spent to get this made right ... prob further complicated by the shutdown and no doubt all their staff working at home, so not in the same space. Gotta be a nightmare for them too
May 20, 2017
846 posts
585 upvotes
ON
I submitted a online price match form about 5 days ago and haven't heard anything back. That's pretty terrible.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16025 posts
13258 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Elec2016 wrote: I submitted a online price match form about 5 days ago and haven't heard anything back. That's pretty terrible.
FYI ... it’s cuz of the Covid Craziness right now

Lots of stores, but esp the Big Box Stores having issues with being overwhelmed
(Lowe’s, Rona, Home Depot, Cdn Tire, Costco, Ikea etc ... )
Tons of threads here on RFD

Everything is beyond slow
Be it ordering, or getting answers to anything

Phone Calls that take hours
Emails that take days
Orders that take weeks / a month

If you can ... go into a store
If you cannot ... then maybe it’s a case of either waiting for a reply to the email
Or sitting on the phone for potentially a few hours
May 20, 2017
846 posts
585 upvotes
ON
PointsHubby wrote: FYI ... it’s cuz of the Covid Craziness right now

Lots of stores, but esp the Big Box Stores having issues with being overwhelmed
(Lowe’s, Rona, Home Depot, Cdn Tire, Costco, Ikea etc ... )
Tons of threads here on RFD

Everything is beyond slow
Be it ordering, or getting answers to anything

Phone Calls that take hours
Emails that take days
Orders that take weeks / a month

If you can ... go into a store
If you cannot ... then maybe it’s a case of either waiting for a reply to the email
Or sitting on the phone for potentially a few hours
Thanks for the explanation. I know they are slower than normal, but didn't know it's that bad.