[Lowe's] Rain Bird Drip Irrigation Garden Kit $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2016 10:35 am
[OP]
Apr 6, 2006
172 posts
16 upvotes

[Lowe's] Rain Bird Drip Irrigation Garden Kit $49.99

Looking to set up a drip irrigation system in my backyard and found this. Reviews online are generally favourable other than the distribution tubing being hard to work with unless you warm it up in the sun. But this is inherent with most, if not all, such tubing.

Pressure regulator and filter alone go for $29.99 so this seems to be a steal with all the tubing and accessories included.

Deal is online and in-store.

Product Description
Precise watering for green, healthy plant growth with low water usage
Simple installation without digging
Easy to cut and connect
Conforms to your landscaped area and individual plant watering needs
Includes an installation tool that simplifies insertion of small barbed fittings and drippers
Easy to extend with additional connectors, tubing and watering devices
Automate your watering by adding a Rain Bird digital hose-end timer
Color/Finish Family: Multiple colors/finishes
Filter Included: Yes
Fittings Included: Yes
Installation Guide Included: No
Package Contents: 1 faucet connection kit with pressure regulator and filter, emitter and distribution tubing, tubing, 5 drippers and stakes with bug guards, 7 barbed tees, 2 barbed couplings, 2 barbed elbows, 10 galvanized stakes, 10 plugs, 1 end closure
Pressure Regulator Included: Yes
Timer Included: No
Tubing Included: Yes
Tubing Stakes Included: Yes
Type: Drip irrigation garden kit
Warranty: 3-year limited

Dimensions & Weights
Box Dimensions: 5¾ inches x 19¾ inches x 18¾ inches
Ship Weight: 7.11lbs
22 replies
Oct 25, 2014
223 posts
160 upvotes
Boswell, BC
Gah, item is oversize and does not qualify for free parcel delivery everywhere in Canada.
May 26, 2003
161 posts
3 upvotes
Love this stuff. For the gardener it is perfect, or for lazy people like me.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2026 posts
164 upvotes
York Region
OP, any idea how long are the hoses?
Apr 5, 2005
548 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
As a possible alternative;
I bought this kit at HD for $24.99 that has a greater assortment/quantity of heads:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.92-p ... 21161.html

Granted I already have an in-ground irrigation system so this was to add on new a drip zone setup by just tapping into an existing in-ground zone.
The kit above along with 50 feet of tubing (about $8) allowed me to setup 6 vertical garden vegetable boxes and I still have ample spray heads left over for flower pots and other possible uses.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8402 posts
4358 upvotes
Bought two of the Rain Bird kits yesterday. It seems like a lot of stuff they give you for $50. We have installed the drip line in one raised planter box and so far so good.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2006
172 posts
16 upvotes
tsatsa wrote: OP, any idea how long are the hoses?
50' of 1/2" brown emitter tubing with holes every 18"
50' of 1/2" distribution tubing
50' of 1/4" distribution tubing
[OP]
Apr 6, 2006
172 posts
16 upvotes
thrifter wrote: As a possible alternative;
I bought this kit at HD for $24.99 that has a greater assortment/quantity of heads:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.92-p ... 21161.html
Yeah, saw this kit as well and will probably buy it to go along with the Rain Bird kit. I needed all the tubing, connectors and pressure regulator too so this kit was a good starter kit. Setting it up soon so I'll update if I get a chance.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3905 posts
3078 upvotes
Ottawa
Neat ideas here - also looking to start an irrigation system for my garden while we are on vacation. We don't have anything yet so which of these kits would you pros recommend? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8402 posts
4358 upvotes
gumby wrote: Neat ideas here - also looking to start an irrigation system for my garden while we are on vacation. We don't have anything yet so which of these kits would you pros recommend? Thanks.
You may want to consider investing in a timer too. Canadian Tire has a 4-zone Melnor watering timer on sale this week for $79.99. We bought one and it seems pretty functional. I like the idea of being able to set up the drip irrigation with a timed watering system so that you don't have to worry about remembering or forgetting to water. Especially during this time when the weather is unpredictably hot,
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14896 posts
3627 upvotes
i need one for my lawn..is this set good?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1591 posts
922 upvotes
Toronto
kiasu wrote: i need one for my lawn..is this set good?
If you mean the drip irrigation system, it won't be enough volume for your lawn. You will need actual sprinkler heads set up to a different irrigation zone.

In my experience, Rain Bird (available at Lowe's) is superior Orbit (available at HD). I had 8 sprinkler heads set up to one zone and an Orbit system couldn't run it. Switched over to Rain Bird heads and all popped up easily. I do have an Orbit timer/controller and it's a nightmare to set up. I wish and could ditch it and replace with Rain Bird.

I also have a drip system set up to 10 different planters in the backyard deck. It's a lazy gardener's dream. I would get the OP's posted kit as you get alot for 50 bucks. Good luck to anyone starting an irrigation system. You won't be sorry!
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3161 posts
335 upvotes
STP123 wrote: If you mean the drip irrigation system, it won't be enough volume for your lawn. You will need actual sprinkler heads set up to a different irrigation zone.

In my experience, Rain Bird (available at Lowe's) is superior Orbit (available at HD). I had 8 sprinkler heads set up to one zone and an Orbit system couldn't run it. Switched over to Rain Bird heads and all popped up easily. I do have an Orbit timer/controller and it's a nightmare to set up. I wish and could ditch it and replace with Rain Bird.

I also have a drip system set up to 10 different planters in the backyard deck. It's a lazy gardener's dream. I would get the OP's posted kit as you get alot for 50 bucks. Good luck to anyone starting an irrigation system. You won't be sorry!
Not being able to run all the sprinklers on one zone has to do with the flow rate, not quality of the sprinklers themselves. I used Hunter MP Rotator heads that are low flow and they work well. At HD I believe I saw some orbit branded sprinklers which look identical to the Hunter MP Rotators so I would suspect they are just rebranded and should have similar specs/flow.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1591 posts
922 upvotes
Toronto
crimsondr wrote: Not being able to run all the sprinklers on one zone has to do with the flow rate, not quality of the sprinklers themselves. I used Hunter MP Rotator heads that are low flow and they work well. At HD I believe I saw some orbit branded sprinklers which look identical to the Hunter MP Rotators so I would suspect they are just rebranded and should have similar specs/flow.
You are probably right, but I couldn't get the orbit heads to pop up. With 8 sprinkler heads on one zone, I was probably pushing the limit. However, when I switched over to Rain Bird no problem. I'm sold on these ones: https://www.rainbird.com/homeowner/prod ... urepop.htm .
Dec 10, 2013
29 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I replaced my older Rain Bird timer/controller with this: https://opensprinkler.com/

Now you can program and control your irrigation system from your desktop or mobile device. Comes in handy when blowing out the lines for Winter (as my Rain Bird controller is in the basement, not in the garage) - now I don't have to run downstairs to change zone. I purchased the Raspberry Pi model as I like to tinker with electronics, but they have a product that is already to go.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3381 posts
5065 upvotes
Langley, BC
tried buying the kit, and they wont even ship... all 3 options are crossed off... this is why i never buy anything at Lowes.

Says it's not available at my store... yet they wont ship from the warehouse?
Nov 30, 2012
442 posts
417 upvotes
Burnaby
steven80 wrote: tried buying the kit, and they wont even ship... all 3 options are crossed off... this is why i never buy anything at Lowes.

Says it's not available at my store... yet they wont ship from the warehouse?
We snooze, we lose. There were 2 sets still available not long after OP -- I hemmed & hawed and decided to investigate alternatives, by the time I decided on these they were gone! :)