[Lowe's] Snow Joe 7-in Steel Ice Chopper - $12.49 YMMV In-Store Only

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2020 8:26 pm
[OP]
Jan 24, 2007
48 posts
87 upvotes

[Lowe's] Snow Joe 7-in Steel Ice Chopper - $12.49 YMMV In-Store Only

This item is on clearance and in-store only. Seems to still be decent availability.

I think it is a good deal as it compares to $46 on Amazon, $50 at HD, etc.
7DB43575-CDD0-4020-A981-2B89C22C9C5A.jpeg
21 replies
Jul 27, 2016
36 posts
48 upvotes
What are you supposed to use this for? Breaking up ice on your driveway?
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2013
1264 posts
933 upvotes
Toronto
digimonn wrote: What are you supposed to use this for? Breaking up ice on your driveway?
It's an ice chopper. It chops...ice.
I have a DIY one that works wonders for scraping/breaking apart that thin layer of packed snow/ice that your shovel can't get under.
Last edited by injust on Dec 20th, 2019 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
digimonn wrote: What are you supposed to use this for? Breaking up ice on your driveway?
Yes. They work great. I think I saw this one in lowes. Unlike the one I have wooden long handle and steel blade. The lowes one is shorter and plastic handle with steel blade.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2067 posts
217 upvotes
Ottawa
Looks good and comes in handy. Bought one for in store pickup
Jan 20, 2019
278 posts
302 upvotes
Do you live in Vancouver?
Jun 20, 2012
194 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Live in GTA, perfect for scrapping up compacted snow or chipping away at ice on your driveway.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16035 posts
4868 upvotes
London
injust wrote: It's an ice chopper. It chops...ice.
I have a DIY one that works wonders for scraping/breaking apart that thin layer of packed snow/ice that your shovel can't get under.
+1, works just like a ice scraper for a car windshield, but for driveways and walkways

Run it along the driveway surface and it will pop up/ loosen ice/ packed snow. Once you have everything loosened, then you can use a shovel to clear the driveway down to bare pavement. Cuts down on salt usage a lot

For example, a major ice storm coats your driveway with 1” thick frozen solid ice. I take a single bag of salt and spread it around, and give it 3-4 hours to work . The salt helps free the ice from the pavement . I then run the ice scraper along the pavement, the ice just pops up in big sheets with little effort. I then shovel the loose ice off the driveway and have bare pavement left

Otherwise I would be using 4-5 bags of salt to turn all the ice to slush so I can shovel it off
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks op ending up getting one for my mom.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3679 posts
834 upvotes
Brampton
rfdfan75 wrote: Do you live in Vancouver?
or he has an old school snow shovel made of heavy steel.
When the one I inherited from my parents finally rusted out I had to start using one of these ice choppers regularly, along with a plastic shovel. Brings a tear to my eye.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Jun 12, 2007
856 posts
488 upvotes
I remember Lowes/HD were all sold out of these last year when the big ice storm hit.
Oct 2, 2019
333 posts
211 upvotes
l69norm wrote: +1, works just like a ice scraper for a car windshield, but for driveways and walkways

Run it along the driveway surface and it will pop up/ loosen ice/ packed snow. Once you have everything loosened, then you can use a shovel to clear the driveway down to bare pavement. Cuts down on salt usage a lot

For example, a major ice storm coats your driveway with 1” thick frozen solid ice. I take a single bag of salt and spread it around, and give it 3-4 hours to work . The salt helps free the ice from the pavement . I then run the ice scraper along the pavement, the ice just pops up in big sheets with little effort. I then shovel the loose ice off the driveway and have bare pavement left

Otherwise I would be using 4-5 bags of salt to turn all the ice to slush so I can shovel it off
More like you forget to shovel the snow and it all froze up overnight
Feb 8, 2007
728 posts
160 upvotes
Picked up one last year. Great for the price. The handle has a spring that acts as a shock absorber.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3996 posts
2475 upvotes
Wouldn't a flat mouth shovel serve the same purpose?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9507 posts
1817 upvotes
Toronto
SizzleChest wrote: Wouldn't a flat mouth shovel serve the same purpose?
Yep. A flat edged spade can work as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3996 posts
2475 upvotes
gh05t wrote: Yep. A flat edged spade can work as well.
Seems like it would be the better choice - similar price, wider blade, longer handle. Plus, it's also a shovel!
Jul 27, 2016
36 posts
48 upvotes
rfdfan75 wrote: Do you live in Vancouver?
No I live in Toronto but I never shovel the snow. Was considering buying it for someone that does =P
Mar 8, 2010
343 posts
285 upvotes
Calgary
Pretty hard to beat this price.
2 left @ Cross Iron
Certainly couldn't find any flat edge spade in that price range.
Jan 18, 2005
119 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
not recommend anyone 5.5 foot+ for this 7". I bought 7" last winter kills my back.