Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowe's

Stainmaster vinyl plank floor 2.29 sq.ft, plus save 15%

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2016 8:40 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
daftfunk wrote: This stain master vinyl looks nice. Where is it made?

I read about using a laminate press cutter $120 on amazon to make the job much easier.
No special tools needed for vinyl tiles/planks.. You literally just use a carpenter's knife (box cutter) and straight edge to "score" the wearing surface (surface you would step on) of the plank and then snap it in two like a KitKat bar along the scoring line.

Fancy corners and around door frames is more complicated, but the concept is still easy you just might need to cut through the entire product with the utility knife (6-7 cuts) instead of scoring/breaking.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Nov 17, 2013
98 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
hoob wrote:
LionHardwoodFlooring wrote:
crashxxx wrote: possibly a very silly question. can this somehow be laid over cheap old ceramic tile? (floor newb)

I have a hallway, small bathroom and small open area that I've been thinking about doing something with. basically, it's a total area of about 260 sq ft. that price ~$560 seems pretty darn reasonable.

I'd like to do the small living room (17x20) that is currently carpet, as well but the transition from the carpet to where the tile starts would be too significant I believe? (edit: perhaps not this vinyl is super thin)

I reallllllllllllly don't want to go through the messy pain in the rear process of trying to break up/pull up the ceramic.
You can go over the existing tile, once you remove the carpet the transition between rooms will change but you can just use a t-molding or reducer strip to compensate the two different heights. Ideally everything should be removed to have a nice level floor throughout but more time consuming and costly.
Keep in mind that when laying vinyl over tile, it is possible that after years the tile grout lines will "appear" faintly in the vinyl. Most instructions recommend putting a thin skim coat on your tile to even out the grout lines, prior to applying another flooring product that "sags" like vinyl or linoleum or similar.

This is more critical if you have large grout lines like 1/4" now.. Narrow like 1/16" you're probably fine as-is. "Sagging" is not a bad thing, it just means that over time imperfections or surface textures of the underlying floor surface might faintly appear in the new floor as everything settles down.
It all depends on material, theres so many manufacturers out there some even attach cork underlays on the planks which would prevent that. Like I mentioned ideally all old surfaces should be removed and subfloor should be prepped to ensure a problem free long lasting install. When you're going over existing materials there could be all sorts of issues that arise within short or long periods of time after install, but at the end of the day its up to the home owner to decide if they want to do the job correct or to do it on a budget.

A lot of the newer or wider planks are harder to score or break, you will need something aside from a box cutter especially when you come across rip cuts along walls.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1845 posts
783 upvotes
Vaughan
So I have this Vinyl plank waiting to be installed, but having a hell of a time ripping out the parquet and wood subfloor in the basement. The parquet is loaded with glue and the subfloor is screwed to the concrete.

Anyone have any ideas on an easy way to take this out?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1056 posts
370 upvotes
wheelz wrote: So I have this Vinyl plank waiting to be installed, but having a hell of a time ripping out the parquet and wood subfloor in the basement. The parquet is loaded with glue and the subfloor is screwed to the concrete.

Why are you getting rid of the subfloor? Is it shot? For parquet, you need a good long handled floor scraped with a heavy duty blade on it.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1845 posts
783 upvotes
Vaughan
Priestlydoolong wrote:
wheelz wrote: So I have this Vinyl plank waiting to be installed, but having a hell of a time ripping out the parquet and wood subfloor in the basement. The parquet is loaded with glue and the subfloor is screwed to the concrete.

Why are you getting rid of the subfloor? Is it shot? For parquet, you need a good long handled floor scraped with a heavy duty blade on it.
The subfloor is shot, there is no vapor barrier between it and the concrete.

A hand floor scraper doesn't work. No idea what glue they used but the parquet doesn't pop off. I'm using an sds rotary hammer drill to lift the parquet. Which is taking a long time.
Dec 30, 2013
455 posts
334 upvotes
Mississauga
To get the parquet off the plywood u need a machine called an eddy
Nov 2, 2012
241 posts
70 upvotes
TORONTO
Curious if anyone has ever tried Gerflor Senso line products? Seems to be the greenest vinyl and Low VOC, which sounds important to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
2020 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough

i literally just removed a parquet floor last week. i started with renting a tool from HD which vibrates and supposed to remove the parquet. it still took a long time and created a mess. i was hoping to keep the plywood underneath but parts of which the tool dig into.
I ended up measuring the depth of the parquet and plywood and use a saw to cut out blocks. it was much cleaner, quicker and less of a mess.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
3254 posts
927 upvotes
Toronto
I have parquet in my.condo. Cant i just vinyl plank right over it?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1845 posts
783 upvotes
Vaughan
Uberclk wrote:

i literally just removed a parquet floor last week. i started with renting a tool from HD which vibrates and supposed to remove the parquet. it still took a long time and created a mess. i was hoping to keep the plywood underneath but parts of which the tool dig into.
I ended up measuring the depth of the parquet and plywood and use a saw to cut out blocks. it was much cleaner, quicker and less of a mess.
I'm guessing you rented a floor stripper/scraper? If so, how easy would you say the parquet came out? Did you have to put a lot of pressure to get them to come out? And how much sqft did you rip out in a day?

Did you use a skill saw to cut plywood?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
ShylocK wrote: I have parquet in my.condo. Cant i just vinyl plank right over it?
Yes you can.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5236 posts
813 upvotes
I have vinyl flooring in my kitchen, would laying this over top of that create any problems?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4206 posts
1749 upvotes
Montreal
162 wrote: I have vinyl flooring in my kitchen, would laying this over top of that create any problems?
Not sure, but I can't see it causing any problems. However, vinyl flooring is usually very easy to remove ... why not pull it out?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
2020 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
wheelz wrote:
Uberclk wrote:

I'm guessing you rented a floor stripper/scraper? If so, how easy would you say the parquet came out? Did you have to put a lot of pressure to get them to come out? And how much sqft did you rip out in a day?

i rented this.. it sounded simpler when the rental guy was explaining how it works to me.. i found you have to ram it into the boards and face horizontally. it does take some effort and if i were to finish the floor with this tool, probably would have taken the entire 4 hours continuous to get it done, and my living room was small.. also from the picture you can see how much of a mess it made, and the part that went through the plywood..

since i could not save the plywood i decided to cut blocks out with my dremel ultra saw and later switch to a circular saw. just adjust for the depth, you don't need to go all the way down as i was able to use a pry bar to break them loose. the clean up was much less.. just sawdust.

the room was around 140 sq ft and i stretch cutting between a few days because i didn't want too much dust at once, and the room was not being use. if i had done it at one shot probably would have been couple of hours with the saw including clean up. however i used the tool for about 1/3 of the room and that alone took me 2 hours before switching to the saw.. and clean up was a mess..
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1845 posts
783 upvotes
Vaughan
Uberclk wrote:
wheelz wrote:
Uberclk wrote:

i rented this.. it sounded simpler when the rental guy was explaining how it works to me.. i found you have to ram it into the boards and face horizontally. it does take some effort and if i were to finish the floor with this tool, probably would have taken the entire 4 hours continuous to get it done, and my living room was small.. also from the picture you can see how much of a mess it made, and the part that went through the plywood..

since i could not save the plywood i decided to cut blocks out with my dremel ultra saw and later switch to a circular saw. just adjust for the depth, you don't need to go all the way down as i was able to use a pry bar to break them loose. the clean up was much less.. just sawdust.

the room was around 140 sq ft and i stretch cutting between a few days because i didn't want too much dust at once, and the room was not being use. if i had done it at one shot probably would have been couple of hours with the saw including clean up. however i used the tool for about 1/3 of the room and that alone took me 2 hours before switching to the saw.. and clean up was a mess..

Awesome! Thanks for this very detailed response. I think I'll give this machine a shot.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2451 posts
873 upvotes
I have a small bathroom floor with tiles where heating barely goes through the vent making the bathroom and the tiles quite cold.
I found this vinyl Krono Xonic which has a graphic on the box showing that an underfloor heating would be acceptable up to 27C. I was thinking to install a 43sq.f. Ditra-Heat underfloor heating kit.

Can I trust that vinyl can really be installed on top of underfloor heating?
Sep 21, 2007
466 posts
283 upvotes
Canada
AkaTdog wrote:
hurlyhunk wrote: This looks like a good deal.

I'm still deciding between Vinyl planks and Laminate for my basement including kitchen. I have never walked on Vinyl planks , any reviews?
I'm a flooring installer by trade, go with gluedown vinyl plank, perfect for basement and can withstand any minor water damage
Are all vinyl planks glue-able, or is there a special type that's gluedown? Also, why not just float it instead of gluing it? Thanks in advance.
Dec 30, 2013
455 posts
334 upvotes
Mississauga
No, there are a few different types of planks with different installs, some are click, some have a piece of sticky tape and some are gluedown, you don't have to worry about dirt/water getting under it would be the main benefit.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1845 posts
783 upvotes
Vaughan
For those who used Drybarrier, did you include an underlayment between the Drybarrier and the Vinyl plank? Drybarrier isn't perfectly smooth and has some hole indentations. They say overtime the vinyl can take the shape on any indentations(telegraph).
Nov 11, 2009
535 posts
154 upvotes
Edmonton
Is this stuff recommended for a kitchen? I have a 20 year old kitchen with old linoleum that's coming apart in some areas.

More importantly, how easy would it be to rip out the lino and put this stuff in? Do I have to rip out the old baseboard?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)