1880 upvotes
Canada
Thanks OP. That's dirt cheap.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1779 posts
217 upvotes
Edmonton
Rona used to offer the same brand for 99 cents even in the West until they were bought by Lowes. Nowadays its 2$, damn Lowes.
Unknown wrote: Why is Playbook at $199 a door crasher??? Because Canadians are gullible. :razz:
Sep 16, 2018
126 posts
186 upvotes
It's dirt with no nutrients, so without supplements you can't really grow much with it. Also many people are ditching peat moss as it is bad for the environment, and am subistituing with either sand or coconut.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2005
1030 posts
2386 upvotes
Good for grading!
Aug 7, 2006
96 posts
24 upvotes
Where does it come from?

I wonder where our recycle organics go
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1385 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
dcxx wrote: Good for grading!
Really? Every time I’ve used black earth the stuff never stays in place. I’m planning on using screened top soil this time around as it’s a heavier base that may stay better for the area I’m trying to level.
JS
Jul 10, 2013
66 posts
47 upvotes
Oakville
Looks like it’s the same price at Rona, at least in Ontario (if Lowes isn’t nearby).
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1447 posts
2090 upvotes
Toronto
andrewmp416 wrote: It's dirt with no nutrients, so without supplements you can't really grow much with it. Also many people are ditching peat moss as it is bad for the environment, and am subistituing with either sand or coconut.
That is why Miracle Gro and other fertilizers exist. My very lush vegetable garden disagrees with your opinion.
Nov 23, 2006
516 posts
313 upvotes
Ontario
ichibansan wrote: That is why Miracle Gro and other fertilizers exist. My very lush vegetable garden disagrees with your opinion.
Are Miracle Grow or other fertilizers not a supplement?
Oct 5, 2005
768 posts
195 upvotes
This is black peat, found in the layer below the more commonly used peat (peat moss) . It is cheap filler, as others have noted.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2012
1118 posts
311 upvotes
TORONTO
Don’t forget to get $10 off $50 with new email sign up at Rona. Rona also selling for $0.99 per bag. $45.75 tax in for 50 bags.
Jul 23, 2015
148 posts
174 upvotes
HappyValley1 wrote: Don’t forget to get $10 off $50 with new email sign up at Rona. Rona also selling for $0.99 per bag. $45.75 tax in for 50 bags.
I believe Rona email coupon only applies to regularly priced items.
Images
  • Untitled-1.jpg
Jul 23, 2015
148 posts
174 upvotes
McLaren wrote: I bought a lot of these this morning is this good enough for growing grass? Going to add some peat moss too

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/specia ... 1000430133
Adding peat moss will make it more loomy, so good for retaining water. You'll need to add nutrients like fertilizer, Miracle Gro as others have mentioned. Otherwise, you can add composted cattle or sheep manure to create your own triple mix.
Apr 1, 2019
159 posts
151 upvotes
I've successfully grown at least 10 full lawns in the past from quality screened topsoil from landscape yards, plus high quality seed and fertilizer to the nicest lawn on the street.

I recently was lazy on one venture and picked up a bunch of bags of this type of garbage topsoil. Everything bloomed properly looking as if it was going to be a perfect yard as usual, come 2nd and 3rd mow it's basically a ruined lawn full of crab grass and weeds.

SPEND THE MONEY AND HAVE QUALITY SOIL DELIVERED
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1447 posts
2090 upvotes
Toronto
xmanofsteel69 wrote: Are Miracle Grow or other fertilizers not a supplement?
Of course it is..but it was not purchased with the soil. There's nothing wrong with buying this cheap soil at all..no need to spend a lot more to buy "supplemented" soils when a few doses of Miracle grow can do the same at nominal cost.
Nov 23, 2006
516 posts
313 upvotes
Ontario
ichibansan wrote: Of course it is..but it was not purchased with the soil. There's nothing wrong with buying this cheap soil at all..no need to spend a lot more to buy "supplemented" soils when a few doses of Miracle grow can do the same at nominal cost.
I don't think that's what the original post you quoted was saying, though. They just mentioned needing supplements in order to grow things. You stated that you disagreed with them because you add supplements to your soil to grow things - which is in agreement with their post. That's all.