• Sep 19th, 2021 8:53 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 12, 2012
586 posts
525 upvotes
Belleville

[Lowe's] (YMMV) Fiskars IsoCore 36-in 8lb maul $64.99

36 inch, 8 pound maul. Fiskars splitting tools are absolutely amazing. This is for the really big stuff, if you're not splitting REALLY large rounds, I would recommend their 36" splitting axe instead.

My local Lowes shows it online and on Stocktrack for $81.99, but the in store price was $65. I got the last one in Belleville. (Oddly, the tag in store was a regular white tag, so I'm not sure why the online sites show it at the higher price.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/splitting- ... ul-2808374
https://stocktrack.ca/?s=lws&prod=5638261583
https://stocktrack.ca/?s=rona&sku=65715198

$90 at Amazon, Home Depot and Home Hardware.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fiskars-Garden-Is ... B014M9LQGG

$72 - $84.49 at Rona, so make sure to check your Rona if the price is different at your Lowes.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2008
1013 posts
1462 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
FYI, the 36" splitting axe is currently $65 at Canadian Tire (at least in BC, I assume this is national?).
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fisk ... 5116p.html

IMO most people will be FAR happier with a splitting axe than an 8lb maul. Big wood or not, I'd only recommend that maul for big & tall people. It takes a huge amount of energy to swing. I'm 6'/160lbs and I use the Fiskars 28" splitting axe. The 36" is generally recommended for people around 5'11" +, but I find it a little long for my taste.

I also have a 36" 8lb maul (non Fiskars) and only take it out about once a year. Each time it's only for a few swings and reminds me why it's a dust collector. Most of the firewood trees (lodgepole pine) a fell are around 16-20" diameter at the cut line. Pine rounds typically split in one or two strikes. Occasionally I'll take down a fir that's 30-35". The 28" splitter takes quite a few extra swings in the fir, but it gets the job done - the maul doesn't seem to fair much better. Plus, with the splitter I can chop for a couple of hours with minimal breaks. With the 8lb maul I'm done after about 30 minutes and need to take frequent breaks/pauses.

To each their own, but again, I think MOST people would find the splitter a better choice.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
4472 posts
4782 upvotes
Alberta
I purchased the 28" splitting axe this summer and prefer the size
Jun 28, 2015
375 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto, ON
brghunter wrote: FYI, the 36" splitting axe is currently $65 at Canadian Tire (at least in BC, I assume this is national?).
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fisk ... 5116p.html

IMO most people will be FAR happier with a splitting axe than an 8lb maul. Big wood or not, I'd only recommend that maul for big & tall people. It takes a huge amount of energy to swing. I'm 6'/160lbs and I use the Fiskars 28" splitting axe. The 36" is generally recommended for people around 5'11" +, but I find it a little long for my taste.

I also have a 36" 8lb maul (non Fiskars) and only take it out about once a year. Each time it's only for a few swings and reminds me why it's a dust collector. Most of the firewood trees (lodgepole pine) a fell are around 16-20" diameter at the cut line. Pine rounds typically split in one or two strikes. Occasionally I'll take down a fir that's 30-35". The 28" splitter takes quite a few extra swings in the fir, but it gets the job done - the maul doesn't seem to fair much better. Plus, with the splitter I can chop for a couple of hours with minimal breaks. With the 8lb maul I'm done after about 30 minutes and need to take frequent breaks/pauses.

To each their own, but again, I think MOST people would find the splitter a better choice.
This is why I come to RFD. We got an actual lumberjack chiming in here!
Dec 19, 2010
700 posts
233 upvotes
mhall1 wrote: This is why I come to RFD. We got an actual lumberjack chiming in here!
Who is, I'm guessing, from the West Coast. It's not the same story in this part of the country,

I own the Fiskars X27 splitting axe and this maul. As I'm dealing mostly with large hardwoods with lots of crotches and knots (maple, elm, ash, oak, cherry, etc.), I use the maul 80% of the time. I'm 5'7", and have no problems with it and can split a good 6hrs before starting to question why I don't use the gas splitter.

Sometimes I'm fighting the wood (i.e. big knotty elm) so much with a 27 ton splitter, I'm reminded why most people who always seem to extoll an axe over a maul, must be living in a different reality than mine. I've never been convinced.

This is a good price and you will not find it lower.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2012
586 posts
525 upvotes
Belleville
I have the 11, 17 and 36 splitting axes and the maul.

No doubt the axe is lighter and easier to use, and likely the primary tool

However if I'm splitting really tough stuff, the axe just isn't gonna cut it (no pun intended). Then I'm off to get a 8lb sledge and wedges anyway.

The Canadian Tire sale on the splitting axe is great. If I could only have 1, I'd get that splitting axe.
Last edited by Xoanan on Sep 19th, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 22, 2014
469 posts
343 upvotes
Not enough hair on my chest for this deal but thanks op
[OP]
Mar 12, 2012
586 posts
525 upvotes
Belleville
Well, today was my first day using this beast. Personally, I found it amazing.

There is no comparison between this and the splitting axe.

The axe is easier to use because of it's weight, but the maul comically smashes through things where the axe just get stuck in. I absolutely love this thing, and have ordered the mini version as well, just because, what the hell.

I still think if I could only buy one, I'd probably go with the axe, especially if you are just splitting wood that has already been halved. But if you are splitting thick, hard rounds, the maul easily wins.

The best part was laughing like a movie evil villain in the backyard swinging it and watching the wood break.

For sure I wouldn't be able to go all day with it, but I'm not a very strong guy, and have terrible stamina to start with.