Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] YMMV Nest Protect for 50% off

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2019 9:24 am
[OP]
Member
Dec 25, 2010
360 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto

[Lowe's] YMMV Nest Protect for 50% off

I got a flyer in the mail from Lowe's with a bunch of coupons. One was for 50% off smoke/CO detectors. It couldn't be combined with Black Friday, Boxing Day or other sales. There is no direct reference to not being able to use it for Nest Protect.

I went to my local Lowe's and after some convincing, was able to get it for half price. I have the receipt at home and can upload it later if anyone is interested. I was only able to get one, but I'll take it!
72 replies
Newbie
Nov 4, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
Which Lowes did you go to?

And, for the mail coupons, which area do you live in?

Do you mind sharing a photo of the mail coupons? Thanks!
Newbie
Dec 2, 2011
17 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Lava hot! OP can you provide more details please?
Member
Jun 21, 2009
478 posts
57 upvotes
That would be amazing. Did you get the battery or wired version?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1557 posts
1008 upvotes
Calgary
If your house requires you main smoke detectors be wired together, my understanding of the code states WiFi pairing isn't sufficient.
I suggest people leave wired dumb ones and add these smart ones as battery units in additional locations.
Member
Aug 20, 2009
259 posts
89 upvotes
Hamilton
Suthek wrote: If your house requires you main smoke detectors be wired together, my understanding of the code states WiFi pairing isn't sufficient.
I suggest people leave wired dumb ones and add these smart ones as battery units in additional locations.
They will still work independently as a "dumb detector" if you have a wifi outage.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2772 upvotes
Great price for a great product, well worth it. In addition to the smoke and CO detector, also includes a motion-sensor night light and presence detector (Home/Away status available through Stringify for automation routines).

3 issues:
- @Suthek is correct about Ontario building code, requires wired inter-connection
- beware of old stock: these things have a 10-year lifespan, and Lowes has sold some more than 6 months old
- good luck getting the coupon to apply: Lowes frequently refuses legit promo claims, so be prepared to argue
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1557 posts
1008 upvotes
Calgary
jbredflag wrote: independently
That's the problem. Many provinces have code saying they must be wired together.
Goodbye insurance coverage.
Member
Nov 10, 2013
249 posts
221 upvotes
i got the same coupon mailed to my house exp Jan 2019 i think, so im waiting for it to go on sale :D
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
1670 posts
4348 upvotes
Rakkaus wrote: i got the same coupon mailed to my house exp Jan 2019 i think, so im waiting for it to go on sale :D

Did it come in the regular mail or with weekly flyers.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1368 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
Suthek wrote: That's the problem. Many provinces have code saying they must be wired together.
Goodbye insurance coverage.
Honest question, how likely is it that an insurance company would deny coverage because the owner had a Nest Protect installed?
Member
User avatar
Nov 23, 2017
222 posts
345 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
Was it mailed specifically to you as part of a subscribed mailing list?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1557 posts
1008 upvotes
Calgary
VertigoM wrote: Honest question, how likely is it that an insurance company would deny coverage because the owner had a Nest Protect installed?
How likely are you to be caught drinking and driving? Or doing cocaine at work?
Everyone rolls the dice in different ways. YMMV i suppose.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1368 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
Suthek wrote: How likely are you to be caught drinking and driving? Or doing cocaine at work?
Everyone rolls the dice in different ways. YMMV i suppose.
Those aren't exactly relevant analogies...

I just find it hard to believe a Nest Protect is "rolling the dice" with home insurance. But if anyone has or knows of anyone who has had a claim denied because of one of these please share.

If a claim were to be denied, what would the justification be? Wouldn't the insurance company have to prove the cause of the 'damage' was a direct result of Nest Protect and that it could have been avoided if a wired-interconnect smoke detector was installed instead?
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1044 posts
597 upvotes
AB
Suthek wrote: If your house requires you main smoke detectors be wired together, my understanding of the code states WiFi pairing isn't sufficient.
I suggest people leave wired dumb ones and add these smart ones as battery units in additional locations.
they talk to each other using Weeve (802.15.4) when wifi is unavailable or power is out. Its as reliable as wired, possibly more so, if the wire gets damaged by the fire.

Top