[Lowe's] YMMV Nest Protect for 50% off

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2019 9:24 am
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39865 posts
5956 upvotes
King City
Has NEST improved these? I had the first gen, and they had issues with something.
Proud to be an Indian.
42728 posts
3291 upvotes
Richmond Hill
VertigoM wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 1:29 pm
Those aren't exactly relevant analogies...

I just find it hard to believe a Nest Protect is "rolling the dice" with home insurance. But if anyone has or knows of anyone who has had a claim denied because of one of these please share.

If a claim were to be denied, what would the justification be? Wouldn't the insurance company have to prove the cause of the 'damage' was a direct result of Nest Protect and that it could have been avoided if a wired-interconnect smoke detector was installed instead?
What's funny is that some insurance companies actually provide discounts for having Nest Protects...
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1532 posts
995 upvotes
Calgary
U4LIFE wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 1:32 pm
they talk to each other using Weeve (802.15.4) when wifi is unavailable or power is out. Its as reliable as wired, possibly more so, if the wire gets damaged by the fire.
reliable as does not mean same as.
code is code. unless the code now states those options are viable, it's a mute point.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1532 posts
995 upvotes
Calgary
Jon Lai wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 1:36 pm
What's funny is that some insurance companies actually provide discounts for having Nest Protects...
yep. and I have a handful of battery units around my house. they are great. But i'm not touching the wired smoke detectors.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2772 upvotes
The issue is not with adding a Nest Protect, the issue is with replacing one of your required smoke detectors with a Nest Protect. If the building code says that you must have a smoke detector on each floor of the house, and they must be hard-wired together, then replacing one of them with a Nest Protect violates code. It's unlikely to ever come up as an insurance issue, but it might be an issue if there's an inspection of your home, for example if you were selling it and the buyer requests a home inspection.

The Nest Protect units can talk to each other wirelessly independent of the WiFi network, and if an alarm or warning is triggered on one, the others speak the name of the location that triggered the alarm (e.g., "Smoke warning in upstairs hall"), so in some ways the Nest Protect is superior to your current wired alarms, but the building code is slow to change.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1532 posts
995 upvotes
Calgary
VertigoM wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 1:29 pm
Those aren't exactly relevant analogies...

I just find it hard to believe a Nest Protect is "rolling the dice" with home insurance. But if anyone has or knows of anyone who has had a claim denied because of one of these please share.

If a claim were to be denied, what would the justification be? Wouldn't the insurance company have to prove the cause of the 'damage' was a direct result of Nest Protect and that it could have been avoided if a wired-interconnect smoke detector was installed instead?
If there were deaths in the house on a different floor and they determine that the people didn't get sufficient notice whereas the first smoke detector was going off.
...that could get interesting really fast.

Not sure how they'd get to that conclusion... but not worth rolling the dice IMO.

The bigger the claim, the more they'll investigate.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2772 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 1:35 pm
Has NEST improved these? I had the first gen, and they had issues with something.
Yes, the 2nd gen fixed the issues with the 1st gen.
Nov 10, 2013
248 posts
221 upvotes
hill15 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 1:10 pm
Did it come in the regular mail or with weekly flyers.
reg mail
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1357 posts
651 upvotes
Toronto
Suthek wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 1:42 pm
If there were deaths in the house on a different floor and they determine that the people didn't get sufficient notice whereas the first smoke detector was going off.
...that could get interesting really fast.

Not sure how they'd get to that conclusion... but not worth rolling the dice IMO.

The bigger the claim, the more they'll investigate.
Fair example. But strangely, the wired detectors I previously had did not trigger each other when I conducted a test. It may have been defective unit(s). Conversely, Nest Protect works fine triggering all detectors. Yes, the wired detectors were interconnected properly, I even had a licensed electrician take a look to confirm.

Based on my personal experience: Nest 1, wired detectors 0.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1532 posts
995 upvotes
Calgary
VertigoM wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 1:46 pm
Fair example. But strangely, the wired detectors I previously had did not trigger each other when I conducted a test. It may have been defective unit(s). Conversely, Nest Protect works fine triggering all detectors. Yes, the wired detectors were interconnected properly, I even had a licensed electrician take a look to confirm.

Based on my personal experience: Nest 1, wired detectors 0.
I completely agree. I have 3 of the battery units in my house along with the 2 dumb-wired units.
I love them. They are great.

My overall point was that people should buy these to complement the existing smoke detectors. not to replace them.
(furnace room, maybe other rooms not near the existing units, kitchen, etc.)
Jul 16, 2007
46 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
Can you please share a pic of coupon and receipt. Not sure how anyone is able to get this deal otherwise?
[OP]
Dec 25, 2010
347 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
I got the flyer in the regular mail, not addressed to me specifically and I live in Halton Hills, Ontario. I'll see if I can find the coupon book and receipt when I get home from work.

If you're lucky enough to get the coupons to take advantage of this, just wanted to let people know it works!
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
2846 posts
27 upvotes
can you buy multiple with each coupon or is it a limit of 1, at this price id replace all of mine.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2008
1345 posts
331 upvotes
I currently have wired Nest Protect on main floor along with traditional wired detectors on 2nd and basement floors. Does this mean I am not complying to code?

Also, I have an appt set up with the promo for free Nest Protect, but they are only able to install battery powered. Should I just put this one on the fridge or something?
Dec 24, 2010
100 posts
22 upvotes
on the lowe's website it still shows the full price of $149.00 . How can i get this sweet deal :)