Boxing Day 2016 Discussion

Lowest Boxing Day 6700K is $50 more expensive than lowest Black Friday price !?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2016 2:49 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 25, 2016
9 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto (downtown)

Lowest Boxing Day 6700K is $50 more expensive than lowest Black Friday price !?

What is going on here??? This is Canada, not the US! The best deals are supposed to be on Boxing Day, not Black Friday. Leaving alone the fact that we're getting ripped off in Canada, as in the US this processor comes in combos with a mobo for $100s of savings!

Anyway, the lowest price during Black Friday was $369 (plus taxes/shipping) and now the lowest is $419!!!! That's full $50 more expensive!! What's wrong with these computer retailers?? Yes, I am talking to YOU: NCIX.COM, NEWEGG.CA, MEMORYEXPRES, VUUGO, DIRECTCANADA, PC-CANADA etc.!!! What's wrong with you???! You are supposed to have the lowest prices on Boxing Day, NOT on Black Friday!!

Don't you get it that in a month when the 7700K comes out at CES, the 6700K is going to tank in price? What are you going to do then? How are you going to rip off Canadian consumers then??

This is BS!

/endrant
-----------------
AlienWare user.... BeWare of the Alien....
29 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10415 posts
1660 upvotes
Toronto
gbg2000 wrote: What is going on here??? This is Canada, not the US! The best deals are supposed to be on Boxing Day, not Black Friday. Leaving alone the fact that we're getting ripped off in Canada, as in the US this processor comes in combos with a mobo for $100s of savings!

Anyway, the lowest price during Black Friday was $369 (plus taxes/shipping) and now the lowest is $419!!!! That's full $50 more expensive!! What's wrong with these computer retailers?? Yes, I am talking to YOU: NCIX.COM, NEWEGG.CA, MEMORYEXPRES, VUUGO, DIRECTCANADA, PC-CANADA etc.!!! What's wrong with you???! You are supposed to have the lowest prices on Boxing Day, NOT on Black Friday!!

Don't you get it that in a month when the 7700K comes out at CES, the 6700K is going to tank in price? What are you going to do then? How are you going to rip off Canadian consumers then??

This is BS!

/endrant
You answered your own question. It's because we're in Canada. We don't argue about pricing, we take what is offered and accept it.

In another sense, if regular gas went from $1.05/L up to $2.50/L. All you would see is 'BOYCOTT x GAS STATION' and that's it, we'd still pay that high price and not really say anything.

Another example; Why aren't people protesting about hydro rates and making a huge fuss about it until the companies get annoyed and drop prices? That's right! Because we take it and don't do crap about it.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2004
1572 posts
169 upvotes
Delta
Lots of other products are priced higher now compared to Black Friday. More competition from the states during BF maybe? In any case, the trend is pretty clear: buy during Black Friday and forget about Boxing Day.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2016
9 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto (downtown)
Well, this guy is voting with his feet! No way in hell I am paying these prices, after I held back on Black Friday. Luckily Buffalo is just an hour away.

I am absolutely willing to pay the exchange rate difference and then some for 'bilingualism' expense, but anything above that is a sheer rip off. Newegg, NCIX and many others operate both in the States and in Canada. All the deals they offer in the US should be the same in Canada plus exchange rate. That's the reason I never buy a thing on Amazon.ca if the same thing is more than 30% cheaper on Amazon.com (including the exchange rate). It's not about the money - it's about the principle!
-----------------
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1215 posts
832 upvotes
Hamilton
XtremeModder wrote:
Another example; Why aren't people protesting about hydro rates and making a huge fuss about it until the companies get annoyed and drop prices? That's right! Because we take it and don't do crap about it.
People are making a fuss about it, Kathleen Wynne will most likely lose her job over it.

People are not going to stop using electricity in protest though.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10415 posts
1660 upvotes
Toronto
shwab wrote: People are making a fuss about it, Kathleen Wynne will most likely lose her job over it.

People are not going to stop using electricity in protest though.
Because that stupid tax on gas she's been going on about forever wasn't enough?

I'm not saying or even thinking people will stop using electricity but my point is, we get gouged on everything there is possible to gouge us on and most people just take it and complain amongst themselves.

Another example, wasn't the income tax that we paid supposed to go down? I don't think I pay any less in income tax than I did before Trudeau. Unless that's just something else that won't be for another year.

There's just too many examples to list of where we get screwed but do nothing about it.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2649 posts
503 upvotes
Thats why i built a i5 6500. Got an entire system for 200$ with a i5 6500 on craigs over the weekend. Cheaper then spending 430 tax in on an i7 6700k for ~15% performance.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7301 posts
4777 upvotes
Canada
Buy on BF and watch prices on BD. Holiday return period helps
Tangerine, Public Mobile, and Freedom Mobile customer
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26223 posts
6483 upvotes
gbg2000 wrote: What is going on here??? This is Canada, not the US! The best deals are supposed to be on Boxing Day, not Black Friday.
I thumbs upped your post as I basically said some of the same, here:
boxing-day-2016-worst-yet-2067942/

In fact I would not be surprised one bit if you could have found a 6700K cheaper on the 23rd or 24th, as compared to BD--it happened with a lot of other stuff, prices actually going up for BD.
gbg2000 wrote:Don't you get it that in a month when the 7700K comes out at CES, the 6700K is going to tank in price?
This line, however, is incorrect. The retail prices on Skylake processors will not drop as Intel never drops prices on outgoing/discontinued processors and basically no retailers "clear them out" either. They basically go until stock is depleted and that's that. In fact, retailers don't even have "regular sales" on discontinued or outgoing processors. For example you can, in fact, still buy Haswell CPUs that are more expensive than Skylakes. Look at the price of an i5 4690K compared to a 6600K, look at a 4790K compared to a 6700K, and even look at prices of CPUs like 4590 and 4690 against 6400 and 6500. Haswells are all more expensive than Skylake, despite the fact that these are basically at EOL now. You will rarely, if ever, see clearance prices on those. Now you may well find cheaper prices for them on markets like eBay, kijiji, etc. but at retailers? No such luck.

Only thing that is going to make Intel lower prices is if Ryzen does anything competitive in performance and price, but that remains to be seen. Also even if Intel does drop prices, it will be on KL processors. Old/discontinued/EOL products will never get a price cut--Intel has been doing things like that since time immemorial.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2016
9 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto (downtown)
ES_Revenge - you made me even more depressed than I already was :(
-----------------
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2009
1927 posts
301 upvotes
Toronto
A thought people were already aware from the past three years that Black Friday is the new Boxing Day. I bought everything that I thought was a good sale price on BF knowing that the price on Boxing day will probably be similar but definitely will not be lower. Now you know for next year. :)
Dec 26, 2011
626 posts
230 upvotes
gbg2000 wrote: Don't you get it that in a month when the 7700K comes out at CES, the 6700K is going to tank in price? What are you going to do then? How are you going to rip off Canadian consumers then??
Desktop Kaby Lake parts are already in the wild and so reviews and test data is out there. The results and reception so far is lukewarm at best compared to Skylake, as such I don't think the desirability is really there to force any Skylake clearances. That data leaked after BF and coincidentally retail prices went back up Winking Face.

Unfortunately the lesson here is that ever since Intel moved to its "tick-tock" (process->architecture) post Netburst (think P4->Core 2 on the desktop) is that the time to buy is during the tock (architecture) point. At this point from a desktop point of view either hope for Zen to have an impact (either as alternative or lower prices) or wait for Coffeelake, or just take the hit and realize you're getting a worse deal buying Skylake now or Kabylake.
Feb 21, 2002
664 posts
78 upvotes

We expect the new processors to be available in January 2017 to customers

Prices are unlikely to vary much from the Skylake range, so there will be something

to suit every budget.

the Core i7-7700K and Core i7-7500U. They look to be the flagships of the desktop and laptop ranges respectively.

Rumours suggest the i7-7700 will be a quad-core with HyperThreading – the same configuration Intel has used on all Core i7 chips. The claimed 3.6GHz base clock and 4.2GHz boost speed, seem to be the final numbers.

Nothing is known about graphics chip which will be integrated into the chip, nor the TDP.
May 11, 2007
900 posts
484 upvotes
Kitchener
gbg2000 wrote: What is going on here??? This is Canada, not the US! The best deals are supposed to be on Boxing Day, not Black Friday. Leaving alone the fact that we're getting ripped off in Canada, as in the US this processor comes in combos with a mobo for $100s of savings!

This is BS!

/endrant
We have a smaller consumer market compared to US. US retailers compete among themselves and are not worried about loosing business to Canada. But Canadian retailers were loosing business to US, during Black Friday in the last 10 years or so. So to encourage people to stay and shop in Canada they started this black Friday deals. But for boxing day, they have no competition from US, cus in US it is just an ordinary day. So i guess for boxing day in Canada , they are just following the tradition and nothing more than that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)