Credit Cards

Lowest fee credit cards for foreign ATM cash withdrawal?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2017 11:29 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 5, 2012
156 posts
84 upvotes

Lowest fee credit cards for foreign ATM cash withdrawal?

I intend to use the Rogers mastercard for foreign purchases, but need another card for foreign ATM cash withdrawals, after prepayment into the card before the trip.

Are the Amazon or Marriott Visa having the lowest fees for foreign cash withdrawals? I note that these two cards by Chase do not belong to the PLUS or CIRRUS networks which may trigger another charge by the ATM machine?

Home Trust Preferred Visa charges 1.5% for foreign cash withdrawals.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5888 posts
3945 upvotes
pretty sure amazon and marriott are part of plus network. I believe all VISA cards are part of plus and all mastercard are part of cirrus.
[OP]
May 5, 2012
156 posts
84 upvotes
mech9t5 wrote: pretty sure amazon and marriott are part of plus network. I believe all VISA cards are part of plus and all mastercard are part of cirrus.
I have both cards, and they dont have the cirrus logo at back, lke my other credit cards like rogers mastercard.

Here is a write up of an american article on Chase, but I am more interested in canadian credit cards.
"Chase and PNC (tie): By charging a $5 fee plus 3% on ALL international ATM transactions, these banks make withdrawing money outside the US a costly proposition. 100 EUR = $140.30."

" Chase

As one of the largest banks in the United States, one would expect Chase to have some type of international partnership. When I found nothing online, a quick e-mail to customer service confirmed that the bank does “not have any affiliated banks outside of the US.” As a result, Chase customers who withdraw money abroad are subject to a $5 ATM withdrawal fee plus a foreign transaction fee of 3%. However, Premier Plus customers get four fee-free withdrawals a month, while Premier Platinum accounts always avoid the fee (though both are still subject to the 3% foreign transaction fee). "
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
399 upvotes
toronto
one withdrawal per month on AC Visa conversion. You get one free withdrawal, they charge 2.5% Fee, but you can load it from certain other credit card that gives you point. Since i value my aeroplan miles at about 1,5-2.0cents, I get a net cost under 1%
Jan 13, 2002
454 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
check out MOGO prepaid credit card, no FX fees, ? $2 ATM flat fee
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5888 posts
3945 upvotes
te1648 wrote: I have both cards, and they dont have the cirrus logo at back, lke my other credit cards like rogers mastercard.

Here is a write up of an american article on Chase, but I am more interested in canadian credit cards.
"Chase and PNC (tie): By charging a $5 fee plus 3% on ALL international ATM transactions, these banks make withdrawing money outside the US a costly proposition. 100 EUR = $140.30."

" Chase

As one of the largest banks in the United States, one would expect Chase to have some type of international partnership. When I found nothing online, a quick e-mail to customer service confirmed that the bank does “not have any affiliated banks outside of the US.” As a result, Chase customers who withdraw money abroad are subject to a $5 ATM withdrawal fee plus a foreign transaction fee of 3%. However, Premier Plus customers get four fee-free withdrawals a month, while Premier Platinum accounts always avoid the fee (though both are still subject to the 3% foreign transaction fee). "
"affiliated banks" and cirrus or plus network are 2 completely different concepts.

The cirrus or plus network simply implies compatibility. You cannot physically use a card that is only compatible with plus network with an atm that is only compatible with cirrus network.

Affiliated banks implies some deal between 2 banks to not charge customers of either bank an ATM fee. That ATM whether affiliated or not will have to use cirrus or plus if they want to work with visa or mastercard.

In the case of Amazon Chase, you can use the card on any plus network compatible ATM. You will be charged a minimum of $5 or 1% of the withdrawal amount by Amazon Chase and you will be charged by the owner of the ATM. In most cases, it is approx $5. There are some fee free ATMs depending on what country you go to.
Apr 28, 2012
957 posts
337 upvotes
QC
Tangerine charges only $2 per ATM withdrawal when you use their debit card abroad, but they hide a fee/spread of 2.5% into the exchange rate that they calculate for the foreign currency withdrawal.
FREE online credit reports
AMEX: The more you use it and request to pay by it, the more merchants will accept it.

AMEX Special bonuses : Gold 30K points ·· Platinum 60K ·· Biz Gold 40K FYF ·· Biz Platinum 60K ·· SPG 20K