Shopping Discussion

Loyalty programs offered by different gas stations.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2022 1:49 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jun 25, 2019
163 posts
210 upvotes
Montreal

Loyalty programs offered by different gas stations.

Has anyone done the work and compared the different gas station loyalty programs?

Which one provides the best bang for your buck?

Suggestions offered by users so far:

*** Costco seems to be the best bank for your buck. Cheapest gas in town. But you have to accept the lineups.

https://www.howtosavemoney.ca/cheap-gas ... s-programs

1-ESSO for the optimum points
2-ESSO for existing users and redemption of points for car wash for an effective rebate of 2%.
3-Canadian Tire - Buy gift card for 5% off and use triangle card for an extra 3 cents off. Effective rebate of 7%.
4-Shell if you collect AirMiles. (It’s the less attractive option to me. It took me 2 years to collect 10$)
5-Petro-Canada with RBC promo... 3 cents off per litre and twice the Petro Points (this is dependent on having RBC Card.)

Update 2021-08-31

ESSO has gas rebate cards in their stores that give you 3 cents off once you activate them and they are free.

First of all, I use a 2% cash back card on all my purchases. which is nice. Currently on the Amex 10% offer.

From there, this is my list of go to places for gas:
1-Costco if it’s on the way and there is no line up since the gas rebate is up front. No need yo hustle for you money.
2-ESSO for the 3cents/litter rebate card + optimum points
3-When the first two options are not available, I go with shell and get the Airmiles.

I am located in Montréal and very conveniently in between a shell, Ultramar and ESSO which are conveniently located in less then 3 min from my house.

And during my weekly routine o have access to Costco and Petro Canada without going out of my way. I legit can pick and choose whichever gas station.

I just had never run the numbers on what the best loyalty program is. So I was wondering if someone out there had done the job.
* NOTES …
1- GasBuddy as referenced by @Quentin5 is always a good source to finding the CHEAPEST gas on any given day.
Images
  • 4222300B-A222-4821-9246-8562BB14DC49.png
Last edited by delangelo on Aug 31st, 2021 11:57 am, edited 8 times in total.
48 replies
Dec 24, 2018
53 posts
238 upvotes
I have not done math on all them, but personally I find Canadian Tire the best for me. I buy giftcards from grocery store where I get 5% cashback on my CC. Then i use the giftcards to pay for gas and use my Triangle rewards card to get another 3cents per Litre in points which at these gas prices is around 2% for overall of 7%back on my gas.

I miss the days where you could buy Canadian Tire giftcards for 15% off :(
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
11568 posts
2177 upvotes
Guelph
Esso is ok if you already use optimum points. There are bonus offers sometimes too. Petro is ok and I dont collect air miles so no Shell for me.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26067 posts
10753 upvotes
Socially Distanced
This is a good question.
I buy the lowest cost (top tier) gas and then use their reward program.

Shell has no reward program but gets 1% back on the credit card, Petro has their points as does Esso.
Sometimes you get points redemptions deals, car washes, have been my go to most of the time.

Gasbuddy FTW.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7453 posts
4347 upvotes
besmirlikaj6 wrote: Has anyone done the work and compared the different gas station loyalty programs?

Which one provides the best bank for your buck?
if you are talking about buying gas from gas station, the best is Mobil gas station. In Sask. you will get 3.5 cents/L using non PCF card or 7 cents/L for using PCF card.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7453 posts
4347 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: This is a good question.
I buy the lowest cost (top tier) gas and then use their reward program.

Shell has no reward program but gets 1% back on the credit card, Petro has their points as does Esso.
Sometimes you get points redemptions deals, car washes, have been my go to most of the time.

Gasbuddy FTW.
Shell has Airmiles reward.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7453 posts
4347 upvotes
bran2540 wrote: I have not done math on all them, but personally I find Canadian Tire the best for me. I buy giftcards from grocery store where I get 5% cashback on my CC. Then i use the giftcards to pay for gas and use my Triangle rewards card to get another 3cents per Litre in points which at these gas prices is around 2% for overall of 7%back on my gas.

I miss the days where you could buy Canadian Tire giftcards for 15% off :(
have you bought gas from Mobil station, assuming there is Mobil in your area?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2089 posts
745 upvotes
Edmonton
I frequently use Petro-Canada with RBC promo... 3 cents off per litre and twice the Petro Points.

Wondering if Esso or Mobil with PC Optimum is a better deal... In my experience the points accumulate faster when filling up from Mobil, than shopping groceries from Superstore alone. Another factor is Petro-Canada is not Top Tier Gas while Esso and Mobil are, but don't know how much that matters as I am not an expert in cars lol.

Petro-Canada is the closest but Esso or Mobil are 3-5 minutes away.

And of course, Costco is also an option but the lines are way too crazy these days. Every time I go to Costco on weekday afternoons, the line extends all the way to the entrance (tire centre). It used to be not this crazy but guess the $1.309 per litre gas prices are driving people there... Not worth driving 5-6km just to fill up from Costco in the early morning and save maybe $4 per full tank... Considering it's anywhere from 5 cents to 13 cents per litre discount and our Honda Civic takes maybe 40L or more.
Last edited by tablo13 on Aug 30th, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26067 posts
10753 upvotes
Socially Distanced
ml88888888 wrote: Shell has Airmiles reward.
Right, i don't use them from their many games.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1693 posts
453 upvotes
I’m surprised no one has done a table of this recently since this changes pretty often. As mentioned before always look for the cheapest price, since loyalty doesn’t amount to much. Premium gas is nearly always cheapest at Costco even when accounting for points and CC rebates.

Petro: 1 cent per litre reward, can be increased to $1.4 cents if your a RBC client and a HBC rewards member . Often will have a promo for an extra $1-5 a month. Paying with a RBC credit card will get you a discount of 3 cents off a litre.

Esso: 1 cent per litre reward. Occasional promo for an additional $3-5 a month. Rewards are now in Optimum points only, but the 1 cent/litre can be worth up to 1.5 cents if used during a SDM promo.

Shell: 1 airmile for $20 spent. Tons of promos.

Husky: .08 cents a litre, plus 3 cents off a litre of paid with a CIBC card. 1% CAA dollars in BC.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15344 posts
20728 upvotes
Vancouver
Kenneth wrote: Esso: 1 cent per litre reward. Occasional promo for an additional $3-5 a month. Rewards are now in Optimum points only
No, Esso Extra still exists for about five more months. As I posted upthread, maximum value of the points is redeeming them for car washes. About 2% return.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21740 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I am confessed Points Hound here on RFD
But as others said … it’s not so much about the math *
As it is about WHICH PROGRAM IS RIGHT FOR YOU
Cuz many tie into other Loyalty Programs
(Cdn Tire to Down-pointing Red Triangle Rewards - Esso / Mobil to PC Ooptimum - Shell to AirMiles - and PetroCanada to several Programs … including RBC Rewards)

It also comes down to literally what gas stations are available to you
Example … where I live, in Eastern Ontario there are a good number of Shell Stations rurally in cottage country … but if I lived in Northern Ontario … Shell has practically disappeared (PetroCanada & Esso dominate there )

So that’s your first consideration
And the most important one
What’s available to you … conveniently
And what other programs you belong to

Second consideration … what credit cards you have / gonna use to buy gas with
And what perks they offer
Be it cash back or reward miles / points

So lots of variables go into calculating what gas is best bang for your buck
Which makes it so difficult to actually formulate a pat answer to this question

Personally … most of my fill ups are done at
PetroCanada, Shell, and occasionally Cdn Tire or Costco
But the last two are totally dependent upon my being WHERE they are
(Example … Cdn Tire DOMINATES the 401 with the Ontario Enroute Rest Stations)

Esso / Mobil although a good option … just not a lot of them around
Esp Mobil … they came out of the RCSS Gas Bars … and those seem to dominate the scene down east and out west
Too bad … cuz by all accounts from fellow RFDers the Mobil Stations in particular have some sweet deals on points for the PCO Program

PetroCanada and Shell fulfill 95% of my needs
And I just watch whichever Loyalty Program is offering what when it comes to Bonuses

Example …
GAS … right now Shell is participating in the AirMiles Bonus Boom
LOTTERY TKTS … same thing. But PetroCanada is my usual go to for Lottery Tkts these days cuz most other Gas Stations / Loyalty Programs don’t give points on Lottery any longer.

* NOTES …
1- GasBuddy as referenced by @Quentin5 is always a good source to finding the CHEAPEST gas on any given day
2- if you truly want a MATHEMATICAL Answer on what Loyalty Program is best … I suggest you consult one of the well known reputable Points Analyst websites … like The Points Guy.com
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1693 posts
453 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: No, Esso Extra still exists for about five more months. As I posted upthread, maximum value of the points is redeeming them for car washes. About 2% return.
It’s closed to new sign ups though like the OP?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21740 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kenneth wrote: It’s closed to new sign ups though like the OP?
True …

But no one is to know for sure the OP would be a new sign up
Maybe he’s just like so many people
Reviewing the Loyalty Program he belongs to
And what cards / apps are worth carrying around vs purge from his wallet
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2795 posts
1942 upvotes
I personally do Esso because it's linked to Optimum pts

I also do CT but I will be not using my card soon as my pts are used up

Otherwise it's Costco for me. Sometimes having the discount upfront is better. These pts programs elsewhere take a while to build (IM LOOKING AT YOU AIRMILES)
[OP]
Banned
Jun 25, 2019
163 posts
210 upvotes
Montreal
Oh I am a member all right. Also I can share a little bit of practical knowledge. They have rebate cards in their stores that give you 3 cents off once you activate them lol.

This is my list of go to places for gas

1-Costco if it’s on the way and there is no line up
2-ESSO for the 3cents/litter rebate card + optimum points
3-When the first two options are not available, I go with shell and get the Airmiles.

I use a 2% cash back card on all my purchases.

I am located in Montréal and very conveniently in between a shell, Ultramar and ESSO which are conveniently located in less then 3 min from my house.

On my way to see my folks there is Costco, and on my GFs way to work there is a petro Canada and an ESSO.

So I legit can pick and choose whichever.

I just had never run the numbers on what the best offer is. So I was wondering if someone out there had done the job.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 25, 2019
163 posts
210 upvotes
Montreal
PointsHubby wrote: True …

But no one is to know for sure the OP would be a new sign up
Maybe he’s just like so many people
Reviewing the Loyalty Program he belongs to
And what cards / apps are worth carrying around vs purge from his wallet

You are quite right sir. I was doing that and also I am a self proclaimed greedy person who wants to get the best bank for my buck.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21740 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
besmirlikaj6 wrote: You are quite right sir. I was doing that and also I am a self proclaimed greedy person who wants to get the best bank for my buck.
Freudian slip ?
Bank vs Bang

I get it … I am all about wringing every last Penny out of a 5 dollar bill !!!

And a good lot of that comes from using Loyalty Programs with actually knowing how they work … vs just blindly collecting

Earn under the best conditions … STACKED with Sales & Promos
Redeem under the best conditions possible … STACKED with Sales & Promos

Mean not only does your money go further … but the money locked up in your Points & Miles does so too
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26067 posts
10753 upvotes
Socially Distanced
PointsHubby wrote: Freudian slip ?
Bank vs Bang
The best bank if you just want interest is EQ bank, 1.25% atm iirc.
Tangerine has a 2%(?) promo for new accounts for 5(?) months.