Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 27, 2003
310 posts
62 upvotes

LPT: Activate your TD Visa using phone number on back of card

Life pro tip...

Don't call the number displayed on the sticker attached to your new TD Visa card.

Instead, flip over the card and use the number printed (in a tiny font) on the back. You'll have to complete a few ID verification prompts, but it's 100% automated. Less than 1 minute to activate.

Calling the number on the front sticker will connect you to an insurance salesperson. That salesperson will give you the whole "While I wait for your card to be activated..." sales pitch song and dance. Multiple minutes to endure, and awkwardness to cut them off and convince them you don't want whatever extra features they are selling.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2871 posts
1407 upvotes
Ya, I noticed that as well last time I called customer service. Regular customer service line IVR now gives you the option to activate your card. Perhaps, eventually they will connect the sticker activation number to that automated IVR and a lot of insurance salesperson would be out of a job.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1957 posts
675 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I've recently activated my TD Aeroplan card using the number on the sticker and it only asked me to enter the new card number, the security code and my DOB in an automated system. I never connected with a live agent sooooo I guess YMMV?
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7764 64 Core & Dual 5950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
[OP]
Oct 27, 2003
310 posts
62 upvotes
traderjay wrote: I've recently activated my TD Aeroplan card using the number on the sticker and it only asked me to enter the new card number, the security code and my DOB in an automated system. I never connected with a live agent sooooo I guess YMMV?
Yup. YMMV. This was for the TD Infinite Travel. So it seems, not specific to bank, but to each product.

FWIW, Amex activation involved a phone agent, but zero sales pitch. Quick & easy. RBC MC was automated.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2871 posts
1407 upvotes
AMEX, MBNA, Scotiabank, BMO and RBC do online activations too which is a lot easier and better.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1041 posts
475 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
traderjay wrote: I've recently activated my TD Aeroplan card using the number on the sticker and it only asked me to enter the new card number, the security code and my DOB in an automated system. I never connected with a live agent sooooo I guess YMMV?
Just a wild guess: if all the insurance representatives are busy and the expected wait time is too long, perhaps the activation is done through an automated system.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25245 posts
6937 upvotes
where I belong
just activated my new renewal TD USD VISA over the phone
all automated
card #, expiry date, DoB, home phone #
done

I know for NEW card (like my TD Aeroplan), they may try to upsell you insurance

It's not limited to TD though, many others do the same
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Platinum/Biz Plat 100K || Aeroplan Reserve 150K
[OP]
Oct 27, 2003
310 posts
62 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: just activated my new renewal TD USD VISA over the phone
all automated
card #, expiry date, DoB, home phone #
done

I know for NEW card (like my TD Aeroplan), they may try to upsell you insurance

It's not limited to TD though, many others do the same
My most recent experience with the sales song & dance was on a renewal. Seems YMMV is the rule here.