Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1192 posts
1 upvote

LSAT Prep Courses

Has anyone taken any LSAT prep courses and found them to be useful? I'm having to decide between Kaplan and Princeton, and they're both $1k+, so I figure I would go to the one where people have had more positive and/or personal experiences with (especially the tutors in the downtown Toronto area classrooms). I'm still open to other prep schools if anyone else has suggestions.

I'm going to be soo broke after this :(
"There are no pacts between lions and men, and wolves and lambs have no concord." - Homer
6 replies
May 4, 2003
117 posts
are you sure you need these prep courses.

you know you can buy previous complete exams from the group administering the exam (forgot the name) and you can buy ton's of practice books.

if you are a disciplined studier (i use the term lossely because that's not realy what your doing) then a course may be a waste of money. if you feel you can use the structure and timelines... then the course may be the way to go.

i have friends who used both, sorry no first hand experience i did on my own, and both had positive and negative things to say about each.

good luck on the exam. isn't the next sitting this month?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1192 posts
1 upvote
I've heard that you can do it with lots and lots of work done from mock exams and past exams; I'm not sure whether I should go that route yet. I just have a feeling that the course is more comprehensive than just doing tests from a book (but I haven't done one yet, so I can't say). On the other hand, it could be like throwing more than a grand down the drain.
dgg wrote:good luck on the exam. isn't the next sitting this month?
I'm not sure when the next sitting is, but the one I'm working towards is June 12th.
"There are no pacts between lions and men, and wolves and lambs have no concord." - Homer
Aug 17, 2005
152 posts
2 upvotes
Tofu Drift Shinji wrote: I'm going to be soo broke after this :(
If the costs of the the prep course will make you go broke, what will Law School tuition do to you? You are looking at $10K to $20K per year.
May 17, 2005
542 posts
77 upvotes
When I took the LSAT, I didn't do the prep course. I just bought plenty of the practice exams. Take a few and see how you do. If you find that you have trouble with it, maybe then take the course. Otherwise, I feel it's a waste of money.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1192 posts
1 upvote
ipfree wrote:If the costs of the the prep course will make you go broke, what will Law School tuition do to you? You are looking at $10K to $20K per year.
Yup, I realize that, which is why there's OSAP or bank loans. Law School means crippling debt for a lot of students, but the prep course is designed to kill my own bank account first.
fratello25 wrote:When I took the LSAT, I didn't do the prep course. I just bought plenty of the practice exams. Take a few and see how you do. If you find that you have trouble with it, maybe then take the course. Otherwise, I feel it's a waste of money.
Great, I'll look for some practice test books at [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=32]Chapters[/rfdlink] and see how I handle those. Thanks for the advice.

Just wondering, if you don't mind saying it, how did you score on your LSAT?
Jun 25, 2005
376 posts
I did Kaplan. I liked it but I actually found their practice exams to be a bit harder than the actual LSAT. That might be good? They don't use actual LSATs except for the three times they tested you. Once at the beginning, one at the middle and then at the end.

This was four years a go now. My instructor was nice but it was in a different city. I had a lawyer and she actually gave good tips - like bring food, water, don't talk to people etc.

Good luck. If you have any concerns re: LSAT and law school, feel free to PM me.