LTE is working on Freedom for older iPhones

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2018 8:53 am
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes

LTE is working on Freedom for older iPhones

Guys I was just using my iPhone and surfing a bit (iPhone 7 Plus - unlocked) and noticed the signal on top said LTE. First I was shocked, but then after I opened youtube and was playing some videos, and just to say WOW! It played instantly (versus when I was using it on 3G it would take a second or two). I am in Mississauga and I can confirm LTE is working fine for iPhone 7 Plus (Rogers now unlocked).

Thank you Freedom, you heard and responded to us!

Looks like B4/B7 has been implemented or is being tested because calls are switching to 3G but mobile data is on LTE. Nevertheless, I am satisfied!
30 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
1572 posts
1128 upvotes
GTA
Which part of Mississauga?
F&F
Freedom $32/53gb
Fido $40/75gb + 30gb bonus = 105gb
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
smgksa wrote: Which part of Mississauga?
I'm close to Dixie and Eglinton but I will be going to Brampton later on today and will check there as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
1572 posts
1128 upvotes
GTA
No LTE in brampton.
LTE was spotted on William's Parksway Brampton along 410 steeles and Costco.
Last edited by smgksa on Dec 7th, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
F&F
Freedom $32/53gb
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
smgksa wrote: No LTE in brampton
Do you have the proper APN settings for LTE? Because without it will not connect (I've tried this on my iPhone). But thanks for the heads up.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
1572 posts
1128 upvotes
GTA
kabyLake wrote: Do you have the proper APN settings for LTE? Because without it will not connect (I've tried this on my iPhone). But thanks for the heads up.
Yes I think but no LTE.
F&F
Freedom $32/53gb
Oct 4, 2017
58 posts
19 upvotes
kabyLake wrote: Guys I was just using my iPhone and surfing a bit (iPhone 7 Plus - unlocked) and noticed the signal on top said LTE. First I was shocked, but then after I opened youtube and was playing some videos, and just to say WOW! It played instantly (versus when I was using it on 3G it would take a second or two). I am in Mississauga and I can confirm LTE is working fine for iPhone 7 Plus (Rogers now unlocked).

Thank you Freedom, you heard and responded to us!

Looks like B4/B7 has been implemented or is being tested because calls are switching to 3G but mobile data is on LTE. Nevertheless, I am satisfied!
Some areas have B4:

https://www.freedommobile.ca/my-account/support/lte

Ajax
Brooklin
MIlton
Newmarket
Oshawa
Pickering
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
3108 posts
3603 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Since other thread got locked about freedom mobile, I'll post here.

I got the 60 dollar plan, 6 days later I brought the sim back to cancel due to many dropped calls. They refunded the sim card cost. I just now got a bill for half of the plan cost. I called in to ask why I'm being charged, I am well within the 15 day trial period and shouldn't be charged. They said that it is only for sim card refund, the plan itself will pro rate the charge, regardless if their service worked for me or not. So they charged me $30 for about 6 days usage.

I said I felt lied to, that i would be charged for nothing, since my service area was flaky, and the guy told me sorry sir it's in our policy only sim card is part of the trial. So people, be warned, if you go to a kiosk and they tell you there is a 15 day trial, for a full refund of you don't like the service, it's a lie. They will bill you. Also the guy on phone hung up on me.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
junglemage666 wrote: Since other thread got locked about freedom mobile, I'll post here.

I got the 60 dollar plan, 6 days later I brought the sim back to cancel due to many dropped calls. They refunded the sim card cost. I just now got a bill for half of the plan cost. I called in to ask why I'm being charged, I am well within the 15 day trial period and shouldn't be charged. They said that it is only for sim card refund, the plan itself will pro rate the charge, regardless if their service worked for me or not. So they charged me $30 for about 6 days usage.

I said I felt lied to, that i would be charged for nothing, since my service area was flaky, and the guy told me sorry sir it's in our policy only sim card is part of the trial. So people, be warned, if you go to a kiosk and they tell you there is a 15 day trial, for a full refund of you don't like the service, it's a lie. They will bill you. Also the guy on phone hung up on me.
The CSR was wrong. Point 325. "The Commission therefore determines that the standard trial period of 15 calendar days, and 30 calendar days for the extended trial period for persons with disabilities established in Telecom Regulatory Policy 2013-271, remain appropriate."
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2017/2017-200.htm

15 days trial (as long as you're within 50% of your monthly usage limits) is law. Koodoo spells it out clearly in their contract, so Freedom should also.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
junglemage666 wrote: Since other thread got locked about freedom mobile, I'll post here.

CCTS
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
3108 posts
3603 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Just called them again, other Rep said same thing to me and then hung up. I used the service barely, had flaky coverage. Plus they did mention can use as much as u want, not the usual 30 minutes or 50 MB data clause. Ya I think I may report them, I know it's only $30 but imagine how many others they are ripping off.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1096 posts
514 upvotes

on page 2/5 of their Services Agreement
Trial Period and Return Policy: ....If you return the product(s) or Services within 15 days, no early cancellation fee will be charged but you will be required to pay for any pay-per-use charges, including long-distance minutes and roaming charges...

I would call back. Ask (firm and polite) for supervisor. If needed let them know CRTC is your next stop.
Oct 4, 2017
58 posts
19 upvotes
It's been over a week since I switched to Freedom from Rogers. I used to have problems with reception in my basement from time to time. I'd get 1 bar usually, 2 at the odd times, or none at all. Since switching to freedom, I get 2 bars. sometimes 3 in the basement. I checked cell tower maps. Both Rogers and freedom have one in my area in the same corner. Pretty happy with the service thus far.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
Does your phone support Wi-Fi calling?
Nov 28, 2006
490 posts
82 upvotes
I just got 2 lines with freedom 1line using there iphone 8 and the other my fido unlocked iphone 7 plus I have them side by side
and the iphone 8 freedom phone gets lte while the iphone 7 plus is on 3g, wtf :(
this is hamilton mountain area
RIBO licenced
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto

I upgraded to a Samsung A5 just for the sole reason to enjoy LTE on Freedomobile since its the only of 2 Samsung phones that carry the necessary Band 66. I noticed that my calls are gargage compared to my old 3G plan and phone. half my calls get dropped now. The quality of the actual call audio is crisp and clear and the internet is faster but half my calls are dropped and/or I cannot make a call at all. I never thought of leaving Freedomobile but the situation is getting intolerable now.
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6565 upvotes
Toronto
My friend 6 plus ended up working too on freedom for lte
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Nov 30, 2016
389 posts
549 upvotes
Ontario
tchoke wrote: I just got 2 lines with freedom 1line using there iphone 8 and the other my fido unlocked iphone 7 plus I have them side by side
and the iphone 8 freedom phone gets lte while the iphone 7 plus is on 3g, wtf :(
this is hamilton mountain area

The difference is band 66 for LTE which is available on the iPhone 8 but not on the 7+
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6565 upvotes
Toronto
MadCatz wrote: The difference is band 66 for LTE which is available on the iPhone 8 but not on the 7+
So I am a little bit confused.

My friend has iPhone 6 Plus and gets lte with freedom.

Does it mean they get lte or not if their phone is not band 66?
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22160 posts
10325 upvotes
Toronto
Either freedom is expanding their lte network in addition to band 66 or the phone is roaming on an away network?