Lucky Mobile 128kbps unlimited throttled data useage

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2021 10:39 pm
[OP]
May 30, 2021
4 posts
1 upvote

Lucky Mobile 128kbps unlimited throttled data useage

Hello, I am woundering if I could get in trouble for using to much of the 128kbps data that lucky offers after you surpass your allotted 3G data with your plan. Im asking this due to my parents saying my phone billing account is apparently going to be terminated for using to much data dispite it being "Unlimited". I've turned to asking the internet as im not going to sugar coat it, with no proof and my parents having a past of lying to me, I would rather ask you guys if this would even be a reason my account could be terminated with Lucky Mobile. Thank you for your time in advance :)
17 replies
Apr 25, 2019
363 posts
590 upvotes
May I ask how much data is in your plan, and how much data are you using? Lucky Mobile is Unlimited @ 128 Kbps after data allotment, and is prepaid, the only instance of your account being suspended is if you miss one payment, termination may occur after 90 days the account is in suspended mode. I'm only guessing based on when I read the terms back in 2019, so that info may not be accurate, so I'd read the current terms.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
[OP]
May 30, 2021
4 posts
1 upvote
I have the 25 dollar plan, for 500 megabytes, after I have been using about a gigibyte a month in the throttled data that Lucky Mobile provides after the allotted 3G data has been used.
Mar 2, 2017
216 posts
194 upvotes
I'm pretty sure there was a story on RFD a couple years ago of someone who tried to push the unlimited data as an experiment. They tethered their phone and torrented linux ISOs all month just to see how far they could go. In the end they were able to chew through multiple gigs without any issues. I could totally be getting some wires crossed though and I can't put my finger on that post, so I can't back it up. (Maybe someone else remembers what thread that post was in.)

I would hazard a guess that 1GB of overages is well within fair use though.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19787 posts
9223 upvotes
Oakville
Only 1gb of overages? Yeah, I'm gonna call BS on your parents' claims on this one. Ask for the proof.
[OP]
May 30, 2021
4 posts
1 upvote
I asked for the proof and they get defensive at showing me some saying things like "Why dont you trust us" and more things like that so sadly I dont have proof, although nothing has been sent to MY email and its in between 1-2 GB overages so im starting to call BS on my parents too, but I also dont want to find out its true last minute and be blacklisted from most cell carrier's in Canada.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19787 posts
9223 upvotes
Oakville
Hellcat0019 wrote: I asked for the proof and they get defensive at showing me some saying things like "Why dont you trust us" and more things like that so sadly I dont have proof, although nothing has been sent to MY email and its in between 1-2 GB overages so im starting to call BS on my parents too, but I also dont want to find out its true last minute and be blacklisted from most cell carrier's in Canada.
Wait, is it your email address that's attached to the Lucky account? If so, how could your parents *possibly* know that your account is going to be cancelled?

Also, and this just occurred to me - most carriers don't give you notice that your account will be cancelled because of abuse. They just cancel you outright.

Also also: even if Lucky DID cancel you (which I call full BS on this whole story), they're not going to go tell Rogers about you or anything.
[OP]
May 30, 2021
4 posts
1 upvote
My parents were the ones that set up + co-signed the account so they might have used theirs althought my email address still receives notification of top up and expiry notices so I dont get why they wouldn't email me that info if I get data top up info
May 28, 2012
133 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
remember luckymobile is an prepaid service even if they did cancel account on u for using too much data. u can just buy a new sim and sign up a new account again the only down side losing ur cell#. then again u can always go with chatr(prepaid) same plan after 500mb-1gb limit after it throttle at speed 64kbps.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19787 posts
9223 upvotes
Oakville
Hellcat0019 wrote: My parents were the ones that set up + co-signed the account so they might have used theirs althought my email address still receives notification of top up and expiry notices so I dont get why they wouldn't email me that info if I get data top up info
Yeah, Lucky Mobile is a prepaid service, there's no such thing as a "co-sign" on those. You don't have to provide any proof of name/address when you sign up, you could put literally anything you want in there. So if your email is the one that gets all the top up/expiry notices, your email is the only one that's attached to the account (Lucky lets you give a different email address for marketing purposes, if you want, but that email address wouldn't be getting account related notices of any kind). Your parents are absolutely lying to you.
Apr 17, 2014
953 posts
372 upvotes
Corunna, ON
I would tell your parents you are disappointed in them for lying to you. That you'll expect better next time. Then immediately walk out of the house and go for a walk.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3352 posts
2324 upvotes
Toronto
What can you be doing at 128kbps? Just curious how that speed actually performs.

And if my kid asked for the 'proof' of something I told them about a phone plan that I was paying for, they wouldn't have a phone plan about 1 nanosecond after they asked for the proof. That would be the proof.

Sheesh - if you're old enough to have a mobile phone, post on RFD and use 1GB of data at 128kbps (about 18+ hours of use) then you're old enough to know better than to demand proof from your parents. I'd make you sleep in the back yard on a couple of cold rainy nights and tell you to find the proof out there.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19787 posts
9223 upvotes
Oakville
torontotim wrote: And if my kid asked for the 'proof' of something I told them about a phone plan that I was paying for, they wouldn't have a phone plan about 1 nanosecond after they asked for the proof. That would be the proof.

Sheesh - if you're old enough to have a mobile phone, post on RFD and use 1GB of data at 128kbps (about 18+ hours of use) then you're old enough to know better than to demand proof from your parents. I'd make you sleep in the back yard on a couple of cold rainy nights and tell you to find the proof out there.
... except they ARE very clearly lying to OP, and have a history of doing so. There's a difference between talking shit to your parents for no good reason, and rightfully calling them out on weird gaslighting bullshit.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3352 posts
2324 upvotes
Toronto
LOL - sounds like a bunch of 13 year olds in here. Trust me - as a parent to a 20 year old, you tell your kids what you need to.

Telling your kid that their data plan is going to be cut off if they use it too much isn't a lie. Either Lucky Mobile will cut them off or the parents will. Doesn't matter 'how' it gets cut off. Not a lie if the parents follow through and cancel the kid's account.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19787 posts
9223 upvotes
Oakville
torontotim wrote: LOL - sounds like a bunch of 13 year olds in here. Trust me - as a parent to a 20 year old, you tell your kids what you need to.

Telling your kid that their data plan is going to be cut off if they use it too much isn't a lie. Either Lucky Mobile will cut them off or the parents will. Doesn't matter 'how' it gets cut off. Not a lie if the parents follow through and cancel the kid's account.
Or, you know, just be honest with your children? If you've got a valid reason for cutting off your kid's data (I can't think of one in this particular scenario, with such a ridiculously small amount of low speed data, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they do), it sounds like a good time to have a conversation with your kid about it. If you're too chickenshit to justify your parenting decisions to your kids and decide to try to pass the buck off on a company so it looks like it's "out of your control", you run the risk of alienating your kids and losing their trust if they're smart enough to figure out that you're lying. Especially if you're really bad at lying like OP's parents and get caught multiple times.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
2753 posts
142 upvotes
Calgary
does aynone use the 500mb data only plan and then can?? use the wifi talk and text app? does that work? what about 128k speed. is voice ok? thx
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Mar 13, 2005
708 posts
399 upvotes
I went through 105?GB testing out Lucky's unlimited plan. For some reason I wasn't throttled much during the month (turning the phone off and on helped), so I was at 3Mbps and I streamed Marvel movies at 720p all the work day. I stopped after I hit 105GB because it just wasn't fun to experiment anymore. Anyhoo, when it did go down to 128kbps (and it did a few times) Spotify worked great, Google maps, Facebook loaded pretty quick, IMs and Emails worked as usual, duo voice was perfect and even got a few fps turning video on. It was only, obviously, video related apps that choked.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8108 posts
1768 upvotes
MikeyP wrote: I went through 105?GB testing out Lucky's unlimited plan. For some reason I wasn't throttled much during the month (turning the phone off and on helped), so I was at 3Mbps and I streamed Marvel movies at 720p all the work day. I stopped after I hit 105GB because it just wasn't fun to experiment anymore. Anyhoo, when it did go down to 128kbps (and it did a few times) Spotify worked great, Google maps, Facebook loaded pretty quick, IMs and Emails worked as usual, duo voice was perfect and even got a few fps turning video on. It was only, obviously, video related apps that choked.
One thing i couldnt live with was updating apps when I needed them like now. Open my PCPoints app. oh need update. Ordering from mcdonalds? oh cant use until you update.