Expired Hot Deals

Lucky Mobile: Unlimited Canada-Wide Calling Plan - 4.5GB - $40/mo

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2018 11:01 pm
Apr 7, 2007
752 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto
This plan is the same as the Public Mobile plan. No better, no worse. You'll have coverage everywhere Bell does. Data is through LTE but throttled down to ~3 mbps. If you missed the Public Mobile plan, this may be the next best thing.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3797 posts
2176 upvotes
Halifax
DaddyKap wrote: PublicMobile deal was LTE Lite (capped at 3G speed). This looks like pure 3G. Is that correct?
It will be LTE capped, and 3G. No way Bell is going to limit to one band. Bell will analyze the current congestion on it's bands, and drop you on the lesser congested band. I suspect most phones get sent to the more efficient LTE bands if available, saving the 3G for phones that do not support LTE. Honestly, it is not even a topic worthy of discussion, all carriers do it. It is valid network management. And most people do not notice or even care.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2002
1825 posts
911 upvotes
Midland
Thanks OP! Always like to see what other providers are offering. When I signed up for the Public Mobile free sim (I believe its no longer being offered) offer last month the Walmart rep mentioned that Lucky had a similar offer. I wondered if an activation on Lucky has a higher commission versus a public mobile activiation? Just curious.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8447 posts
785 upvotes
Scarborough
Does Lucky have call in customer service? It is a deal breaker to some folks.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
4869 posts
4536 upvotes
No Bum Deals
I'm more interested in services like these also being usable abroad with addons. It looks like PM has the US covered, and in a better (cheaper) way than the big three's 'Roam Like Home' et al crap.
I need ammunition, not a ride.

©Zelensky 2022
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1338 posts
836 upvotes
Waterloo
Good for people who didn't get on the Public Mobile promo in time, I guess. Otherwise it seems like a slightly worse version of that plan because of no recurring monthly discounts.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
23636 posts
12833 upvotes
Toronto
pooper wrote: I'm more interested in services like these also being usable abroad with addons. It looks like PM has the US covered, and in a better (cheaper) way than the big three's 'Roam Like Home' et al crap.
Public Mobile's US roaming is probably the best deal short of shopping locally for service. Their add-ons are 10 days and duration is which long enough to cover most typical trips down south. The cost per day is very affordable. With the other brands at, it is quite easy to rack up a hefty bill.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2533 posts
1864 upvotes
GTA
Just wonder if Lucky's 3G speed is LTE but capped at 3G like PM does?
¸

- - - - -
;)
Oct 2, 2010
97 posts
83 upvotes
Ontario
DragOnT wrote: Just wonder if Lucky's 3G speed is LTE but capped at 3G like PM does?
Correct
Sep 23, 2008
862 posts
619 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote: Gave a thumbs up because some users didn't understand the plan.

3G isn't the greatest, but $40 for 4.5GB is a good deal, especially since it is Canada Wide.
People are giving it a thumbs down because they understand the company. If Bell had its way, all its data plans would be "zoned" and we'd be paying for "long-distance" data. Bell can get bent.
Selling:
My Soul -- PM Me
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
758 upvotes
Man, you guys trust Bell?
They increase price every year lol.

I think around 10 years ago, I was paying $60 for 1GB. It was only $50, then they increased the price each year after the contract ended. I didn't even get a new phone, and they still increase the price on you. If I wanted a new phone, it was going to be $80/month for 1 GB.
I called in to complain. Got the idea that they didn't care because they are a phone company. Left them for Telus.

If I would put my trust with the 3 evils, I would say Telus is the best, follow by Rogers, and lastly Bell.

I don't know why anyone would go with Lucky mobile when the PM deal was better. Auto-top up reduce the plan price down to $38. Then reduce by $1 each year up to $5 off. The plan then becomes $33/month.
With Lucky, you get $5 off for the first 8 months. That $33/month from PM is forever.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3797 posts
2176 upvotes
Halifax
CollegeGraduate wrote: Man, you guys trust Bell?
They increase price every year lol.

I think around 10 years ago, I was paying $60 for 1GB. It was only $50, then they increased the price each year after the contract ended. I didn't even get a new phone, and they still increase the price on you. If I wanted a new phone, it was going to be $80/month for 1 GB.
I called in to complain. Got the idea that they didn't care because they are a phone company. Left them for Telus.

If I would put my trust with the 3 evils, I would say Telus is the best, follow by Rogers, and lastly Bell.

I don't know why anyone would go with Lucky mobile when the PM deal was better. Auto-top up reduce the plan price down to $38. Then reduce by $1 each year up to $5 off. The plan then becomes $33/month.
With Lucky, you get $5 off for the first 8 months. That $33/month from PM is forever.
I give a phone company one chance to fix a problem. If they cannot or will not, I port out. That simple. I have done it, and will do it in the future. If more people thought like me, there would be less foolishness coming from the telcos.

I would not fall in love with Public Mobile too much. They are still Telus. Public Mobile are my main carrier now, but if they give me too much trouble, I will port out, they behave, I stay a loyal, paying customer. Simple as that.

As for the Public Mobile deal being better, it currently is not anymore. Luck Mobile currently has the best $35/$40 plan, with Canada Wide calling, and 4.5GB of data. If you need that, only Lucky Mobile can currently do it.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
4869 posts
4536 upvotes
No Bum Deals
From my past experience, Rogers the Dodgers and Hells Bells can go sit on a sh*tty stick. Lol.
I've been okay with Telus.

©Zelensky 2022
Feb 28, 2012
527 posts
391 upvotes
Vaughan
I don't understand how people still use 3G - what's the point? I wouldn't even pay $9.99/month for unlimited 3G data.
Dec 23, 2006
567 posts
181 upvotes
IIRC it was an in-zone plan when I commented a week ago. A few posts after mine noted that.
PM $10 50 min 50 txt - friend code MLZKRQ
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
4869 posts
4536 upvotes
No Bum Deals
jb10071 wrote: I don't understand how people still use 3G - what's the point? I wouldn't even pay $9.99/month for unlimited 3G data.
It's not 3G, it's LTE 'lite' which is far superior. 3G over LTE. Most don't notice the difference.

©Zelensky 2022
Jan 12, 2018
22 posts
7 upvotes
Lucky Mobile is offering today a $25 Credit, Free Sim Card and $5 for 8 months. Their promotional plan has no zones and is Canadawide calling.
Dec 11, 2003
210 posts
290 upvotes
Central AB
Just so everyone doesn't miss something, apparently Lucky has no options for roaming. So if you ever travel to the US, it just won't work.
If you never plan to travel, it is a good deal though.
Aug 26, 2018
30 posts
9 upvotes
pooper wrote: From Mobilesyrup

‘3G-equivalent data speeds’ Lucky Mobile’s data plans feature “3G-equivalent” access speeds of up to 3Mbps, though the carrier confirmed that traffic will flow through the company’s 4G network. The plans offer a select allotment of full-speed data, after which customers can continue to use data – but at speeds throttled to around 128Kbps (in other words, EDGE speeds).

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Bell launching new prepaid wireless brand called Lucky Mobile
This is not true, i called Lucky Mobile as i was about to sign up for the plan, i asked them about the DATA and they said once you go over the 4.5 gig allowance, you would not get free throttled down internet, you would have to pay.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1594 posts
906 upvotes
jb10071 wrote: I don't understand how people still use 3G - what's the point? I wouldn't even pay $9.99/month for unlimited 3G data.
Lots of people would. I would. Even if it was actual 3G network. In fact on Telus network 3G network I can get ~30mbps. Other than latency/ping being slower hardly much to complain about there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)