[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6205 posts
620 upvotes
Toronto

Luggage lost in transit

Went from yow west jet - yyz - hainan airline to PEK

On arrival at PEK one suitcase didn't show up, the airport service desk made a property irregularity report with contact info and the route details, gave me $300rmb for delay fee, and told me they will try and trace it for 21 days before determining to be lost. Only after 21 days I can seek compensation for lost luggage/replacement value.

Never had my luggage lost, who am I suppose to contact now? Should west jet be at fault, hainan, wait for the airport to do their job or just go through credit card coverage?

I assume if I seek compensation from one of the parties I cannot seek from the others?

Value of the suitcase is about $2000cdn, no electronics all small gifts and clothes.
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4751 posts
5874 upvotes
Toronto, ON
greg123 wrote: Went from yow west jet - yyz - hainan airline to PEK

On arrival at PEK one suitcase didn't show up, the airport service desk made a property irregularity report with contact info and the route details, gave me $300rmb for delay fee, and told me they will try and trace it for 21 days before determining to be lost. Only after 21 days I can seek compensation for lost luggage/replacement value.

Never had my luggage lost, who am I suppose to contact now? Should west jet be at fault, hainan, wait for the airport to do their job or just go through credit card coverage?

I assume if I seek compensation from one of the parties I cannot seek from the others?

Value of the suitcase is about $2000cdn, no electronics all small gifts and clothes.
I hope that's a typo... otherwise, $2000cdn suitcase? No wonder it's lost.

I believe you can still proceed with credit card baggage delay/lost coverage, provided you have some documentation/report from the airline. This at least gets you some immediate cash for supplies/clothes. $300rmb from the airline is a joke though lol..
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6205 posts
620 upvotes
Toronto
The content of the suitcase is $2000... Wife's makeup stuff, contacts, two pair of glasses, clothes..
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36185 posts
10325 upvotes
Ottawa
You will just have to wait for them to do their search.
Does your credit card or home insurance have lost luggage clauses?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6882 posts
5797 upvotes
Burlington
Damn that sucks. Hope something will sort out in your favour

We recent used AirCanada. On our way back, 1 luggage and baby car seat were left unloaded at the departing airport (Vancouver). They provided us a brand new car seat, which was superb, because my baby was growing out of the old one. That was the only positive thing about that flight.
Our flight was cancelled, they booked us for a flight that's almost 10 hours after. No notification email or anything. Imagine stranded with a baby at the airport for that long
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
greg123 wrote: Value of the suitcase is about $2000cdn, no electronics all small gifts and clothes.
Unfortunately compensation won't be for the full amount of the suitcase contents - unless you have third party insurance. Likely they'll only give you X dollars per pound.

Saying that, the airlines usually find the lost luggage - it's probably still stuck in Canada and never go transferred onto your flight to China.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
516 upvotes
greg123 wrote: Went from yow west jet - yyz - hainan airline to PEK

1. you have two separate situations: (a) delay luggage and (b) lost luggage.

2. For delay luggage -- you buy new stuff and get compensated later by airline.
General rule: service and consumables are reimbursed 100% and
long lasting things are 50%.
For example: delay ski -- ski-rent 100%, new ski-gloves -- 50%,
Tooth paste 100%, shorts and sunglasses -- 50% .
Of course, you can submit only reasonable expenses that
you incur directly due to luggage delay.

3. Delay luggage situation is "insured case" in many travel insurances,
from work, from CC or separately purchased. It can be something like
"after 2 hours delay you can spend 200$ after 6 hours 400$ and so on"
with or without submitting receipts.

4. Going to "Lost luggage" case -- yes, it is 15 or 21 days waiting time.
(once I received my stuff on 14-th day!). Then there are:

4.1. maximum about 1500 USD per luggage -- you submit
itemized list and they establish compensation

4.2. Personal belongings are -- in general -- are
insured within home insurance. So one can submit
secondary claim to home insurance company
for anything above compensation from airline.
Considering deductibles, such claim may or may not make sense.

5. If possible, I try to distribute things and keep important
stuff with me. For example going to ski
I take ski-boots in cabin and push couple of ski-socks inside.