• Apr 1st, 2021 2:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 22, 2012
576 posts
207 upvotes
Bradford

Lumber Prices

Do people think the prices on pressure treated/dimensional lumber will stay the same/increase?

I hear a lot of people saying they’ll wait to complete projects when prices come down, but I’m not sure that will happen? I feel these are just new normal prices
60 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4853 posts
1395 upvotes
This is the new normal unless demand drops (recession)

I just paid $10/each for SPF 2x4x10 and I was honestly just happy to find stock. Waiting to see if I could save $400-$500 in framing material on a $10,000 basement reno wasn't worth it.
Let's hug it out
Jan 16, 2017
95 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
New norm.. demand will skyrocket soon since spring is around the corner and regional Home Depots are opened now
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9008 posts
10287 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Lumber is a cyclical. So as much as there’s the idea of new normal....I think prices will eventually normalize.

The issue is, how long do you want to wait while the cycle plays out? If it’s a month? A year? And how long do you want to wait for normalization to occur? And if it’s $1000 on a $25k project...is it worth it? Of course the most impacted will be lumber heavy projects like fences and decks.

Also need to consider input prices on almost everything is raging higher right now. Inflation is off the hook in building materials....take a look at the price of copper, oil, etc. Input costs are way up.
Jun 26, 2019
981 posts
735 upvotes
As with most things now, we have a supply shortage and with lumber it is coupled with a massive demand for home renos, builds and landscaping.

We do live in Canada, the land of lumber and pulp, this said we did have toilet paper shortages like crazy as well.

In time it will normalize once everything balances out, how long that will take, who knows, plus with inflation over the years its never really going to return to the old prices.

Using my crystal ball, I don't see any price breaks coming this year. First we need everything up at full capacity again, which again could be 6 months out, and then we need to deal with all the pent up demand.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9987 posts
5259 upvotes
Paris
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: As with most things now, we have a supply shortage and with lumber it is coupled with a massive demand for home renos, builds and landscaping.

We do live in Canada, the land of lumber and pulp, this said we did have toilet paper shortages like crazy as well.

In time it will normalize once everything balances out, how long that will take, who knows, plus with inflation over the years its never really going to return to the old prices.

Using my crystal ball, I don't see any price breaks coming this year. First we need everything up at full capacity again, which again could be 6 months out, and then we need to deal with all the pent up demand.
Nothing will return to normal until summer 2022. Its hit everything. I was looking for a home theatre amp and there are NO sales on things that used to be on sale 30% or more. There just aren’t many around. Last night I was trying to find Kreg top track to build a jig… out of stock everywhere, including with Kreg.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10266 posts
2851 upvotes
people have money to burn and no where to travel to blow it.

so welcome to the 2020 and 2021 home renovation boom. we spent over 20k on our backyard last year. Disneyland was canceled, Mexico was Canceled. so we did like alot of people have done, redirected entertainment funds to the house. i have been to one restaurant in 12 months.
Nov 10, 2019
257 posts
179 upvotes
I bought mine during early January or December and glad I did. It was 2x cheaper (Cedar) than it is today just checked.

My guess is stock will either be empty or prices skyrocket by April for certain lumber you are looking for.
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4733 posts
1697 upvotes
Topher86 wrote: Do people think the prices on pressure treated/dimensional lumber will stay the same/increase?

I hear a lot of people saying they’ll wait to complete projects when prices come down, but I’m not sure that will happen? I feel these are just new normal prices
50/50 .... anybody have a crystal ball to help this dude?
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3688 posts
2644 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Lumber is a commodity, so prices fluctuate anyway.
Based on the craziness from last summer, with delays in projects being started, I'd say prices will actually go up.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2012
576 posts
207 upvotes
Bradford
Ok so the prices are one thing but went today and the majority of deck boards are in pretty poor condition. Cracked, etc. I imagine rushed through the treating process and left to dry very wet.

Has anyone had good luck with deck boards at particular retailers?
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4733 posts
1697 upvotes
Topher86 wrote: Ok so the prices are one thing but went today and the majority of deck boards are in pretty poor condition. Cracked, etc. I imagine rushed through the treating process and left to dry very wet.

Has anyone had good luck with deck boards at particular retailers?
Then go to another store. If you went to a couple or three and they all the same, then you have your answer.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4994 posts
1377 upvotes
Kitchener
I don't mind paying higher prices for quality lumber, but the stuff at Home Depot is garbage.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3779 posts
2700 upvotes
Toronto
It hurt a bit paying $8.25 in Oct 2020 for 2x4 standard board knowing in March 2020 they were $3.50.
FreezingCanada wrote: We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11789 posts
2248 upvotes
Toronto
There was a lot of Covid related supply chain disruptions. It should be less but offset by multi-millionaire new home owners.
Feb 25, 2004
961 posts
432 upvotes
Longueuil
I am currently renovating my basement and every time I go get some lumber at Rona, the price increased (same price at Home Depot). I went 3 times in the last few weeks (maybe ~4 weeks) and every time the price increased. I think it was $5.99 (which is already high) and it is now $7.19 I believe a month later.

It is not too bad for me because I don't need large quantities, in the end it won't have a huge impact but I could see it making a difference for larger projects.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3245 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
The idea of delaying a project because lumber prices might change is idiotic. Unless you're building the Ark, lumber price changes shouldn't be guiding your decisions.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3245 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
JEDI Force wrote: I am currently renovating my basement and every time I go get some lumber at Rona, the price increased (same price at Home Depot). I went 3 times in the last few weeks (maybe ~4 weeks) and every time the price increased. I think it was $5.99 (which is already high) and it is now $7.19 I believe a month later.

It is not too bad for me because I don't need large quantities, in the end it won't have a huge impact but I could see it making a difference for larger projects.
What cost $5.99 and increased to $7.19? The 20% increase is helpful information, but what specific piece of lumber are you pricing here?