• Sep 11th, 2020 11:22 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1149 posts
819 upvotes
VANCOUVER

Lump charcoal sold out?

Has anyone seen any bags of lump charcoal in Vancouver?

I've been to 4+ different chains AND checked their websites and haven't seen a single bag of lump available irrespective of brand.

My BBQ season is essentially over as I'm out of lump charcoal.
38 replies
Dec 14, 2010
480 posts
180 upvotes
I don't live in Vancouver but had the same problem two weeks ago in Toronto. Ended up finding some at Real Canadian Superstore so not sure if you want to try there? I guess that's not the first place people think of when buying charcoal so they had a few bags when I went.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1149 posts
819 upvotes
VANCOUVER
berieberie wrote: I don't live in Vancouver but had the same problem two weeks ago in Toronto. Ended up finding some at Real Canadian Superstore so not sure if you want to try there? I guess that's not the first place people think of when buying charcoal so they had a few bags when I went.
Tried there. Also tried Walmart, Canadian Tire, and Lowe's in person. Didn't check Home Depot physically yet since their website said it's out of stock.

Checked the Lowe's website and none in stock whatsoever - confirmed with an associate in store. Also checked stocktrack and all gone from every close Walmart. Canadian Tire is also depleted including their own brand as per their website.

If nothing, I'll bite the bullet and order some jealous devil from Amazon.

Crazy times.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2377 posts
1685 upvotes
Toronto
I've been able to find it locally but in a thread someone was saying how there is a shortage of the stuff.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2643 posts
524 upvotes
Whitby
I usually load up with 8-10 big bags from Costco to last me over the winter. I missed it this year.Disappointed But Relieved Face
Instead of 15ish$ per bag I'll need to pay 25$ for the same stuff.
Getting a good deal on Furtado Farms wood, but it doesn't make up for it.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43419 posts
6658 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Check out Chinese grocery stores. Like sunny, foody mart, bestco etc...
Thats an untapped source of lump charcoal. Chinese bbq is best with lump charcoal. They like the skewers and lump has a good taste compared to ashy briquette!

ThAts where i got mine...

If it comes down to it, premium charcoal aint bad. Kamado joe xl, jealous devil, and green egg. They got big chunky pieces. It burns long and hot. You’ll notice that you don’t have to use as much charcoal on your cooks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1149 posts
819 upvotes
VANCOUVER
UrbanPoet wrote: Check out Chinese grocery stores. Like sunny, foody mart, bestco etc...
Thats an untapped source of lump charcoal. Chinese bbq is best with lump charcoal. They like the skewers and lump has a good taste compared to ashy briquette!

ThAts where i got mine...

If it comes down to it, premium charcoal aint bad. Kamado joe xl, jealous devil, and green egg. They got big chunky pieces. It burns long and hot. You’ll notice that you don’t have to use as much charcoal on your cooks.
Thanks for the insight. To be honest, I've never been inside any of the stores you listed but might have to give them a shot. I suspect that they'll be out too but we shall see.

Where I'm located, t&t and sungiven are most convenient and I've never seen them stock lump. But truth be told, I've severely limited myself from store visits for obvious reasons lately with most visits during the non peak times.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2377 posts
1685 upvotes
Toronto
I'd suggest middle eastern stores as well, they cook on lump and it is where I find it locally when costco is out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1149 posts
819 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Bit the bullet and bought a few bags of BGE. Haven't opened yet but they're premium so they should be good. If they meet the lofty expectations, I'll stick with it since I only burn 2 bags a year since I don't do many briskets or other long cooks.

The master chef I bought previously was supposed to be promising, and actually was for the top couple inches of the bag. But after that, there were SO many tiny pieces of lump that they just fell through the charcoal grates.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8472 posts
2943 upvotes
b31770 wrote: Bit the bullet and bought a few bags of BGE. Haven't opened yet but they're premium so they should be good. If they meet the lofty expectations, I'll stick with it since I only burn 2 bags a year since I don't do many briskets or other long cooks.

The master chef I bought previously was supposed to be promising, and actually was for the top couple inches of the bag. But after that, there were SO many tiny pieces of lump that they just fell through the charcoal grates.

The bag of master chef I am into right now is over 1/2 empty and still into decent sized pieces, but certainly getting smaller as I go. I do find that it burns very long and hot though, so it actually leads to me taking too much and have 1/2 of what took still usable in the next chimney with some new chunks.

I really should start using less each cook, but I really hate having to add more or try to limp the cook to finish with dying coals, so I always use a good size chimney full.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43419 posts
6658 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
b31770 wrote: Bit the bullet and bought a few bags of BGE. Haven't opened yet but they're premium so they should be good. If they meet the lofty expectations, I'll stick with it since I only burn 2 bags a year since I don't do many briskets or other long cooks.

Those premium bags of charcoal are usually sold @ bbq specialty store. They treat their merchandise (especially charcoal) well, because thats their specialty.

Compared to a Canadian tire/walmart stock employee whos only goal is to fill the shelves quickly according to their quotas. Those bags just get tossed around.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8472 posts
2943 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Those premium bags of charcoal are usually sold @ bbq specialty store. They treat their merchandise (especially charcoal) well, because thats their specialty.

Compared to a Canadian tire/walmart stock employee whos only goal is to fill the shelves quickly according to their quotas. Those bags just get tossed around.
Yup. I agree.

If I can when buying at the big box stores I tried to find a skid where the bags are still laying down vs the ones jammed into the shelves, as they have been handled more and potentially dropped down hard to get it onto the shelf.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1149 posts
819 upvotes
VANCOUVER
UrbanPoet wrote: Those premium bags of charcoal are usually sold @ bbq specialty store. They treat their merchandise (especially charcoal) well, because thats their specialty.

We shall see, but lets just say that my previous experiences with Royal Oak have been much better than my current bag of Master Chef.

In my case, I don't think it's based on handling and I say this based on several reasons. The first couple inches of the bag had really nice 1 - 4"+ lumps, and they burnt virtually smoke free but with a pleasant aroma, although I noticed extreme sparking. Then from below that all the way to the bottom, all I had were 0.5" to 1.5" lumps that smoked with a thick foul smell, to the point where I have to leave the cooking area for 5 minutes. It's almost like they graded their lumps and filled the bottom to middle with one batch, then loaded the premium stuff on the top for visual impact. Again, this is inconclusive as I only purchased one bag.

Also, this bag was so bad that I still have over 5lbs of virtually unusable lumps, if you could even call them lumps. It's an ordeal because they're so small they fall through my chimney and charcoal grates.

Plus I found a bunch of rocks.

I think I am swearing off Master Chef more than non-premium brands. I used to order Quebracho 40-Pound Carbon de Lena Hardwood Charcoal Bag from Amazon when the prices were still good and despite all the transit and exchanges of hands, the bags would always come with an awesome arrangement of lumps.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8472 posts
2943 upvotes
Just picked up a bag of royal oak right off a skid at the Cobourg CT. At least 20 more bags if anyone is out for a Sunday drive.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10854 posts
5953 upvotes
Markham
I don't do a lot of hot and fast searing with Charcoal so I'm more a briquette user. Having said that, I got a bag of XYLO at Rona not long ago and finally tried it for cooking some Korean style Kalbi. It was hotttt [to me] !.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!