Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1119 posts
15367 upvotes
North York, ON

Luxury chocolate brand Godiva is closing all of its stores in Canada

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2021/0 ... es-canada/

Not just Canada, but all N.A.

"Godiva Chocolatier has announced that it will be closing all 128 of its brick-and-mortar locations across North America by the end of this March."
Billy Ocean is a musical genius!
18 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4799 posts
407 upvotes
GTA
meanwhile Trudeau has his head in the sand, while Canada burns
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2811 posts
2101 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
ferkel wrote: meanwhile Trudeau has his head in the sand, while Canada burns
...and an overpriced chocolate chain closing all its B&M stores on the continent has just what to do with politics?
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3900 posts
2434 upvotes
Vancouver
Not every business that closes has to do with the government. While covid likely have an impact, there is also a chance they were in trouble before covid and this just accelerated their demise. Relatively speaking, Canada has done a lot for small businesses when compared to some other countries.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3802 posts
2601 upvotes
Vancouver
Lindt has them beat for sure in terms of retail traffic. Whether it's marketing or other preferences, I'm not sure.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19195 posts
5261 upvotes
Toronto
Lindt is way better. I'm surprised Godiva lasted this long.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5685 posts
1868 upvotes
Space
Godiva made some good chocolate but it has really went down hill over the years. You can taste the cost cutting quality. Too bad as I believe it’s a really really old company.

EugW wrote: Lindt is way better. I'm surprised Godiva lasted this long.
Jul 22, 2020
419 posts
58 upvotes
Solsearchin1 wrote: Godiva made some good chocolate but it has really went down hill over the years. You can taste the cost cutting quality. Too bad as I believe it’s a really really old company.
Totally agree with you 👍🏼! What do you recommend now, even if it home made sold from IG etc? I need something that has no lard or animal fats, but dairy is ok, but not preferred unless high quality... any organic ones? Thinking Face
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2702 posts
2326 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
ALLCAPS wrote: ...and an overpriced chocolate chain closing all its B&M stores on the continent has just what to do with politics?
Trudeau hate knows no bounds.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1566 posts
745 upvotes
I honestly wonder who buys chocolates from them and the Laura Secord stores - whenever Im at the mall I dont see anyone buying. Im a Chocolate fiend and see both brands off the shelf.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19195 posts
5261 upvotes
Toronto
Biscayne05 wrote: I honestly wonder who buys chocolates from them and the Laura Secord stores - whenever Im at the mall I dont see anyone buying. Im a Chocolate fiend and see both brands off the shelf.
Laura Secord gets foot traffic from ice cream. And aren’t they cheaper for chocolates? I haven’t been in a Godiva store in a very long time but I seem to remember their prices were relatively high despite sub-par chocolates.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6089 posts
2692 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
FWIW, Godiva was once owned by Campbell Soup (was unaware they had flogged it off to Turkish interests around a decade ago). Employees of Campbell used to be able to buy rejects at deep discount at the Camden, NJ HQ.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6148 posts
2207 upvotes
Godiva is more expensive than Lindt & Laura Secord. I would say Godiva quality control is definitely declined a lot over the yrs. Now it still has the price tag, but without the quality (it started in Belgium almost 100 yrs ago)
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14730 posts
4221 upvotes
Montréal
Ya, used to buy from them all the time but haven't in ages. Never liked Lindt and Laura Second is just ok. Sad to see them go though.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6089 posts
2692 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Still will be sold through retail channels.
HP_John wrote: Godiva is more expensive than Lindt & Laura Secord. I would say Godiva quality control is definitely declined a lot over the yrs. Now it still has the price tag, but without the quality (it started in Belgium almost 100 yrs ago)
I don't think I've ever bought Godiva (but did enjoy seconds a former colleague brought over from Campbell Soup). That said, I used to buy Leonidas at Amsterdam airport a few years ago which were a little better. Even better were fresh chocolates bought from small chocolate shops in Brussels (though at a significant price).
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12277 posts
3415 upvotes
you may also want to add "meanwhile Trump is golfing in his Mar-a-lago, while USA burns"
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4949 posts
3997 upvotes
Did Trudeau close all their stores in the US too? That Trudeau is pretty slick, able to close all of a Belgian company's stores in the US too...

Do you give credit to Trudeau for the biggest job gains in high wage jobs in 2020 too? Lol
Over the past year, there has been a net increase of nearly 350,000 people employed in the top half of wages, making at least $27.82 an hour, CIBC Capital Markets said Tuesday in a report. And job creation is clustering near the top: Around 260,000 positions have been added in the highest wage quartile of at least $41.73 an hour.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1459 posts
498 upvotes
GTA
Meh don't care for Godiva...My favourite chocolates are the mint smoothies are from rheo thompson in Stratford, thank goodness for online ordering :)