Automotive

Luxury (and premium) vehicle drivers - what are you currently driving?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2021 8:44 pm
[OP]
Jul 15, 2006
930 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Luxury (and premium) vehicle drivers - what are you currently driving?

I have been skimming through threads in the Automotive forum and I see strong opinions in terms of what classifies a brand as luxury and premium. It got me wondering what luxury and premium vehicle are you currently driving (year, vehicle, lease/finance)?

While at it, what are the key factors differentiating luxury from a premium brand?
114 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35811 posts
9894 upvotes
Ottawa
2019, Subaru Crosstrek, bought for cash. :)
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28063 posts
13271 upvotes
Toronto
18 mb e class wagon. Cash purchase.

To me, luxury is based on fit, materials, finishes and latest tech infotainment.

The non luxury may be too much use of hard plastic inside the car finishes, cloth or fake leather seats, slow and out dated infotainment. Every premium brand will have a low to higher trims within a model, the objective is to fit the buyers budget and preferences.
Last edited by booblehead on Jan 9th, 2021 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13682 posts
8691 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Lambo

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8387 posts
5049 upvotes
Kootenays
Luxury/premium is debatable, but Mercedes CLA250, 2 year lease, $0 down, 24,000 kms/year for $248/month including tax and maintenance #2 and #1. One of the better RFD opportunities we've taken advantage of.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1322 posts
283 upvotes
Vancouver
What is luxury and what is premium is also in the eye of the beholder. If your a single parent of two kids and working minimum wage job than a Honda Fit can be pretty premium.
Apr 5, 2017
698 posts
469 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
kev604 wrote: What is luxury and what is premium is also in the eye of the beholder. If your a single parent of two kids and working minimum wage job than a Honda Fit can be pretty premium.
I could have any income and I would still love the Fits over any entry level base luxury car.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1746 posts
1697 upvotes
GTA
2013 Lexus RX 350. I am looking at the Lexus NX new PHEV expected as a 2022 model. I wanted to trade up this year but passed with the RX running so well and little driving due to covid.
Mar 25, 2018
127 posts
185 upvotes
smacd wrote: Luxury/premium is debatable, but Mercedes CLA250, 2 year lease, $0 down, 24,000 kms/year for $248/month including tax and maintenance #2 and #1. One of the better RFD opportunities we've taken advantage of.
Where did you get this offer?
May 2, 2020
115 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
NuF518600 wrote: Where did you get this offer?
It was made available at the start of the pandemic last year. If I’m correct it was a Calgary MB dealer that had a number of vehicles coming back from a rental company that went bankrupt. Lots of people took advantage of it across the country.
Too many people in the world today that speak liberal but vote conservative.
Feb 12, 2008
24 posts
4 upvotes
2018 Lexus RX350 with luxury package, since didn't like the red leather in F sport. Paid outright at the time. Could have bought a German car but I'm owning this and wanted reliability and low maintenance cost.
Feb 12, 2008
24 posts
4 upvotes
kev604 wrote: What is luxury and what is premium is also in the eye of the beholder. If your a single parent of two kids and working minimum wage job than a Honda Fit can be pretty premium.
Fully agree, when I was younger a car with leather and navi was premium.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14735 posts
2534 upvotes
None so far. This is my second MB. I am rather tall and am not into SUV's.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15566 posts
13169 upvotes
Richmond Hill
2016 X3, bought it used for work - financed
2007 GT3 paid cash

I love my German cars as their designs and driving dynamics really suit me. I can/will never purchase a luxury/premium Asian made vehicle.
Jul 20, 2016
842 posts
775 upvotes
Toronto
2018 S4 - leased, 2021 M4 incoming

Features and technology gap used to distinguish premium and mass market brands, that has really closed in last few years, with majority of tech/safety/comfort features can be found on Civic class of cars these days.

In general premium vs mass market brand comes down to powertrain choices and intangible quality differences. Most mainstream cars, to cut cost and max economy of scale, have 1 or 2 sluggish engine choices only and in most cases they are not inspiring to drive. What separates a A4 from a loaded Accord these days is down to stuff like chassis tuning, NVH refinement, quality of materials used, and to some extent the tech/infotainment. Whether those things are worth 10k is up to the buyers.. personally right now I see little value in getting the base engine choice in the lower end of a luxury brand's range. Objectively cars like CLA250 and C300 don't offer nearly enough extra to justify the upcharge.

Then... what separates true luxury to premium brands is the name recognition. Some still don't put Audi in same category as MB and BMW (FWD architecture, VW parts blah blah), and it's a even harder battle for Acura/Genesis etc.. More curious where people define Lexus and esp Tesla these days
[OP]
Jul 15, 2006
930 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Currently driving 2019 QX50 (leasing). Decided to go with because we have previously owned Infiniti vehicles and have overall liked interior quality and performance.

Though we have come close to financing BMW and Audi vehicles, but it's usually various vehicle issues that have kept us away.

I agree luxury and premium could be subjective, though some brands are well known to be luxury.

I recall coming across a thread not too long ago, where someone was comparing a CX5's interior to a particular BMW's. Got me thinking if CX5 has really improved the quality of their interior to that extent. It's been a while since I have sat in a CX5.
Last edited by Shop-a-holic on Jan 9th, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
18351 posts
6527 upvotes
My suggestion is a Tesla Model Y.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
[OP]
Jul 15, 2006
930 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Quentin5 wrote: My suggestion is a Tesla Model Y.
I have test driven Model 3 and found it to have overly simplistic interior/dash. Sorta reminded me of Ikea. Saw some videos of Model Y and appears to have similar interior. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I suppose it's preference.