• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2021 8:13 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 26, 2013
148 posts
14 upvotes

Lyft or Uber 4am pickup

I need to get to work occasionally early in the morning. Does Lyft or Uber do pickups at 4am in the morning in the Greater Vancouver area? Are these 4am pickups reliable (show up)? If both has 4am pickups, which would you recommend?
21 replies
Sep 25, 2018
799 posts
1470 upvotes
I'm sure there are taxi/limo/shuttle services in your city that will be more reliable than uber or lyft. You do need to pre schedule the 4am pick up though.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2013
148 posts
14 upvotes
Costs is the reason for using Lyft or Uber. Estimated fare for taxi is $50. Lyft or Uber is $30.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5229 posts
4271 upvotes
I'll do taxi with set time... i mean you can't really schedule a ride ahead of time on uber/lyft since it's all dependent on if there's any drivers who are on the platform at the time
Sep 25, 2018
799 posts
1470 upvotes
Well then you'll have to try and find out if they are reliable. I doubt if many people here would know, especially in the automotive forum, since most folks here have a car.

I'd rather pay $20 more to have a guaranteed ride. Every saving has a cost.
Dec 25, 2007
517 posts
400 upvotes
CALGARY
In my experience, Uber is way more reliable than taxi in Vancouver. I find in other cities it is pretty even but taxis suck extra bad in Van. Scheduling rides cost a couple extra dollars but I do it all the time
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29132 posts
9679 upvotes
Unless there are laws preventing it in some area (which there might be) you can get an Uber or Lyft any time of day, 24/7. However your ability to get a ride at 3-4am might be much less or take much longer as there could be less drivers on the road taking passengers. In a big city area you will likely have little problems--I'm sure GTA, GVA, Montreal, etc. these will be no sweat. Some smaller town you may be waiting a long time to see if a driver is around/working at odd hours though.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4490 posts
3744 upvotes
Oakville, ON
wnicole wrote: Advance booking/schedule ahead is actually available with Lyft and Uber. Question is on reliability, if Lyft or Uber has a mechanism to ensure drivers will show up after accepting an advance booking.

https://help.lyft.com/hc/et/articles/11 ... passengers
https://help.uber.com/riders/article/sc ... 8d8df1a605
A lot of drivers actually drive for both, so might want to order from whichever one has a promo. Then assuming you’re up @ 3:30 am to get ready to go, log in an see if there are drivers in the area or not. If you ordered Uber but there’s only a Lyft driver around then cancel the Uber and grab the Lyft driver (and vice versa). If neither are around, cancel your order and call a cab.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16450 posts
14595 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Seems like a lot of work trying to save $20…so RFD of you!
[OP]
Nov 26, 2013
148 posts
14 upvotes
AlicW93740 wrote: Well then you'll have to try and find out if they are reliable. I doubt if many people here would know, especially in the automotive forum, since most folks here have a car.

I'd rather pay $20 more to have a guaranteed ride. Every saving has a cost.
If I have to try to find out, I wouldn't be posting here. Obviously, I am posting to find out. :)

This thread was moved to automotive forum, I didn't post here and agree that this forum is about buying, selling, serving cars, etc rather than ride sharing. But considering the few replies I get here is better than nothing.
Last edited by wnicole on Jun 11th, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2013
148 posts
14 upvotes
sneek wrote: In my experience, Uber is way more reliable than taxi in Vancouver. I find in other cities it is pretty even but taxis suck extra bad in Van. Scheduling rides cost a couple extra dollars but I do it all the time
Good to know from your experience that Uber is more reliable than taxi. I noticed there is a new rideshare, Metrorides from the paintwork of a taxi. I cannot remember the name of the taxi company but it seems that I hire that vehicle either as a taxi or as a rideshare.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rides.user
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1488225064
[OP]
Nov 26, 2013
148 posts
14 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Seems like a lot of work trying to save $20…so RFD of you!
Stale reply, this kind of reply has been tried before. Try something new if you want to be funny.

In any case, RFD is created just for this purpose!
[OP]
Nov 26, 2013
148 posts
14 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: A lot of drivers actually drive for both, so might want to order from whichever one has a promo. Then assuming you’re up @ 3:30 am to get ready to go, log in an see if there are drivers in the area or not. If you ordered Uber but there’s only a Lyft driver around then cancel the Uber and grab the Lyft driver (and vice versa). If neither are around, cancel your order and call a cab.
This sounds like a plan. Have all three options open and see which one is confirmed coming.
May 27, 2017
295 posts
418 upvotes
I’m a driver with Uber/lyft and just a heads up

We only get the ride request 15 mins before your scheduled time so for example driver would get ur pre booked ride request @ 3:45am & instructed to drive to pick up wait for rider

If no drivers around that time, you could be in a pickle and end up late
[OP]
Nov 26, 2013
148 posts
14 upvotes
Lolvtec wrote: I’m a driver with Uber/lyft and just a heads up

We only get the ride request 15 mins before your scheduled time so for example driver would get ur pre booked ride request @ 3:45am & instructed to drive to pick up wait for rider

If no drivers around that time, you could be in a pickle and end up late
This is useful information. It sounds like drivers get pre-booked 15 mins before scheduled time but Lyft let riders book 7 days ahead of time and Uber 30 days ahead of time.

With this 15mins notice, I would imagine there are few rideshare drivers that work at 4am since they have no idea whether there will be a fare or not at that hour. Since I know when my work shift is, I can book at least one day to one week in advance. If drivers can book those pre-booked rides in advance, then I'm more confident of a driver that will come.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27565 posts
13204 upvotes
AlicW93740 wrote: I'm sure there are taxi/limo/shuttle services in your city that will be more reliable than uber or lyft. You do need to pre schedule the 4am pick up though.
Limo/shuttle? Maybe. Probably actually.
But I don't think I'd ever put taxi and reliable in the same book, let alone the same sentence.
They've missed SO MANY prescheduled pickup times for me.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
15406 posts
4408 upvotes
Scarberia
i don't think i've taken a taxi in the last 20 years Face With Tears Of Joy uber is great imo if ur car is DOA
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Dec 3, 2009
591 posts
255 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm in the GVA area as well, and had to occasionally pre-arrange a ride for early morning (6am flight departure).

When I was researching options, I was advised by colleagues not to bother pre-booking with Uber/Lyft, as the rides are not guaranteed.

Ended up pre-booking taxis, and they were always either early or right on time.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6979 posts
1154 upvotes
Ottawa
I had to book a taxi too for an airport departure at 4am. Of course the taxi doesn’t show up. I call them up and the girl answers as if she just woke up. She said she’ll send one over. I waited 30m no show still. I said fk it. I’m gonna park n fly.